Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
661 - 671 of 671 Posts

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
Not a tarp, sheet for overspray protection the other day.

That's my 78 CB750k8, aka the bike I actually enjoy riding in the street.

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,693 Posts
Not a tarp, sheet for overspray protection the other day.

That's my 78 CB750k8, aka the bike I actually enjoy riding in the street.
I thought I recognized that brake setup. The bike that coined the phrase 'superbike'. Hell of a suicide machine bud, and super clean.

She running a little lean? You've got some bluing going on on 2,3 and 4.

Oh, and the repair job on that r1 came out looking none the worse for wear bud. I can't see any orange peel from my house ;)

·
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
When I first got it, it had carb issues.....those were solved right away...but not quick enough to stop the bluing. Since then I have put like 20k miles on it. I think it has 30k mi on it now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Man, great job! I’ve never done any fiberglass repair work but I’ll be attempting it here shortly. Your work has given me a confidence boost though I still have no idea what I’m doing. As for the paint, mixing Krylon and Rusto, you definitely have to let it fully cure and then wait another day before applying the different paint. Ask me how I know lol. I sprayed some fairings this summer and lots of trial and error and testing different paints. I’ve never cursed so much in my life. Anyways, yours turned out great in my book!

·
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 ·
This past Sunday I rode Pitt race.

The first session I won't say I wasn't a tick skittish when other riders were arround me. The second session I went out with some friends, and got over that. By the end of the day I had an honest 1:59.1, and I had an optimal 1:58.5. My best ever lap there (from last year) is a ~1:58.4, so I was basically right on my pace, and I also had the most consistently fast day I've ever had there. I left feeling really good, because last time I went down I had instantly lost like 10s per lap. I was so happy that didn't happen this time.

I turn around in just a few days and ride CMP for the first time in like 9 years. The last and only time there was for the last forum track day (remember when we did those). I can't belive it has been that long.

·
Venom X/O
25,674 Posts
This past Sunday I rode Pitt race.

The first session I won't say I wasn't a tick skittish when other riders were arround me. The second session I went out with some friends, and got over that. By the end of the day I had an honest 1:59.1, and I had an optimal 1:58.5. My best ever lap there (from last year) is a ~1:58.4, so I was basically right on my pace, and I also had the most consistently fast day I've ever had there. I left feeling really good, because last time I went down I had instantly lost like 10s per lap. I was so happy that didn't happen this time.

I turn around in just a few days and ride CMP for the first time in like 9 years. The last and only time there was for the last forum track day (remember when we did those). I can't belive it has been that long.
I miss those… I tried throwing them together a few times but it’s hard to get a bunch of people together now-days. CMP was added to my race schedule for 2022 so I’m excited about that. I’ll be there in May for rd 6.

Glad you shook it off. When I spilled really bad in turn 6 two years ago at JGP I noticed myself taking my time through there. Hurt my times by like 1.5sec. Took a little bit to shake it but i kept reminding myself “get off the bike more and you won’t lose the front” which did the trick.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,693 Posts
I miss those… I tried throwing them together a few times but it’s hard to get a bunch of people together now-days. CMP was added to my race schedule for 2022 so I’m excited about that. I’ll be there in May for rd 6.

Glad you shook it off. When I spilled really bad in turn 6 two years ago at JGP I noticed myself taking my time through there. Hurt my times by like 1.5sec. Took a little bit to shake it but i kept reminding myself “get off the bike more and you won’t lose the front” which did the trick.
You said Continental is hosting something at Jennings next month right?

My bike is still down, so I'm out, but, some of the other folks on the forum might want to go. It's worth throwing out there.

Oh, and tad, glad the off you had didn't leave you gun shy. Good to hear your times are right on par.

·
Venom X/O
25,674 Posts
You said Continental is hosting something at Jennings next month right?

My bike is still down, so I'm out, but, some of the other folks on the forum might want to go. It's worth throwing out there.

Oh, and tad, glad the off you had didn't leave you gun shy. Good to hear your times are right on par.
Correct, Nov 5th

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tread

·
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #669 · (Edited)
I went back and looked at my one and only visit to CMP in 4/27-28/2013 at the forum track day. I was in Novice, but got bumped to Intermediate at the end of the first day. The second day it rained, we rode in the rain, but it was slower. I dug through my lap timer, and my quickest lap there was a 2:00. I wonder what my times will be now 9 years later and riding in Advanced group. At most tracks I visit these days, I am ~10-15 seconds off the lap record. At CMP that is roughly a 1:30.5 according to a quick google search. So I suspect that I should be able to click off a 1:40-1:45. That seems reasonable, we will see how close I come to that estimate. @Gearheaded Have you been to CMP lately? If so what times are you running there?

·
Venom X/O
25,674 Posts
I went back and looked at my one and only visit to CMP in 4/27-28/2013 at the forum track day. I was in Novice, but got bumped to Intermediate at the end of the first day. The second day it rained, we rode in the rain, but it was slower. I dug through my lap timer, and my quickest lap there was a 2:00. I wonder what my times will be now 9 years later and riding in Advanced group. At most tracks I visit these days, I am ~10-15 seconds off the lap record. At CMP that is roughly a 1:30.5 according to a quick google search. So I suspect that I should be able to click off a 1:40-1:45. That seems reasonable, we will see how close I come to that estimate. @Gearheaded Have you been to CMP lately? If so what times are you running there?
I’ve never been. I actually attempted to make that forum track day with a friend who went from Florida but ended up having a crashed bike before the trip. May will be my first swing at it

·
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #671 ·
Well....CMP went well. The whole first day I was able to get down to a 49 every session, but kept making mistakes. i was able to talk to a few "locals" and got some good info along the day. The next morning I was able to go quicker nearly every session (save the last because I was so tired after two days). I ended up meeting my goal and got down to a 1:45.4. I felt really goo about that.

I also took some video of me slow poking around the track. I am pretty close to the right line, just doing my usual over slowing and not driving off hard enough.....and therefore being a slow poke.

Having not made a video all season I didn't realize that my rear wheel speed sensor and ambient air temp sensor got disconnected from the data logger at some point. So the gar posion math had to default back to the GPS data, which is not perfictly syncked to the RPM like the wheel speed sensor is, so the displayed gear is not 100% accurate. The air temp sensor defaults to 240F because the 0V signal is off the functional fit for the sensor.

There is another one of the session before where I clicked off a few low 46's in that session. You can find them in my YT channel listing. I need to do some more videos next year I forgot how much fun it is to do all the data stuff after the fact.

Overall, asside from my small off at Summit at the end of the day, the season went pretty well, as I was able to lower my PB at NCBike, Pitt, Summit (maybe I only matched this or came close), and CMP! I got my knee down with some repeatability. And the new suit really helped me ride much better.

661 - 671 of 671 Posts