Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got pulled over for my tag mount/location. I know it is supposed to have a light on it but I can't find a single thing stating how far towards the tail it has to be. Anyone know some details, I don't think the officer knew either to be honest, he landed up giving me a warning :boobies

·
Twisty Roads for me!
895 Posts
Same here.

Stan

I have my tag mounted in the same area with the tag light and signals and I've never had any problems with the law.

·
Blue, you're my boy!
1,567 Posts
in texas plate lights are required. i was pulled over on my 00 when i had the tag on the swingarm but the man was just hassling me. he pulled out the visibility card(being vertical). he checked my papers and let me go. when i asked him why i see cruisers with the same plate location he said "oh we dont mess with them" paused for a second and abruptly let me go. i swear those were his exact words. he tried to stop himself at the end but it was too late.

ive yet to be pulled over on my 07(tag mounted where rear pegs used to reside) but i will not be surprised when i am. as long as im not issued a citation i am fine with it. ive gotten away with ALOT of stupid things. i can endure a needless stop or two.

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Most likely you got pulled over because your tag is obstructed by the wheel.
Look at your plate from the rear of the bike (say 20 feet behind the bike, bend down and see how much of the tag is obstructed by the wheel).
You will always get hassle from cops for this mount location. The plate is even lower once you get onto the bike.
They are looking for mounting where they can clearly see the tag without any obstructions, and without having to strain their eyes to see the tag.

Plus, this is usually the place where the cop runners mount their tags, so cops often keep an eye out for that too.
Go to the track, no plates needed there, and you won't get pulled over. Once you go one time, you will be addicted for life.

Good luck whatever you do.

·
Blue, you're my boy!
1,567 Posts
Look at your plate from the rear of the bike (say 20 feet behind the bike, bend down and see how much of the tag is obstructed by the wheel).
You will always get hassle from cops for this mount location. The plate is even lower once you get onto the bike.
They are looking for mounting where they can clearly see the tag without any obstructions, and without having to strain their eyes to see the tag.

Plus, this is usually the place where the cop runners mount their tags, so cops often keep an eye out for that too.
Go to the track, no plates needed there, and you won't get pulled over. Once you go one time, you will be addicted for life.

i agree. that sounds like like a reason to be pulled over but i hit fairmont(an 8 mile straight to work) and got pulled over midway. i have no problem with being pulled over for something that i know full well i purposely did. in fact i actually like knowing that the police are pulling over bikes that could potentially be stolen. he checked my papers and let me go. im pretty sure he was just checking to see if i was legal and my bike wasnt stolen. living in houston i encourage the police presence. thank God i have a garage now. i could tag the theft rise onto a certain event but i wont here.

i would love to hit the track but i need extra $ for that. i still owe 6k on my 07 and with the 02 tahoe loan and mortgage i dont see me picking up an extra 00 for a while. i feel an 00(my last bike RIP) would be a better track bike than my 07. with a suspension tune, damper, and tires i would feel very confident on another 00 on the track. my 07 seems too peaky. and expensive to fix.

·
DOWN TO RIDE
3,763 Posts
I just got pulled over for my tag mount/location. I know it is supposed to have a light on it but I can't find a single thing stating how far towards the tail it has to be. Anyone know some details, I don't think the officer knew either to be honest, he landed up giving me a warning :boobies

HEY WAS UP I SEE YOU HAVE THE MEGAFONE PIPE
IS THAT THE BOZ BROS FULL SYSTEM
IF IT IS HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?
HOW DOES IT SOUND?
DO YOU LIKE HOW IT SOUNDS?
HOW DO YOU RUN IT?
wide open, with the primary core, or with the primary and secondary core installed

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HEY WAS UP I SEE YOU HAVE THE MEGAFONE PIPE
IS THAT THE BOZ BROS FULL SYSTEM
IF IT IS HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?
HOW DOES IT SOUND?
DO YOU LIKE HOW IT SOUNDS?
HOW DO YOU RUN IT?
wide open, with the primary core, or with the primary and secondary core installed
Yup, full Boz System and I love it :boobies
Sounds better than I had hoped it would, VERY LOUD but that's what I wanted on this bike. We're building a replica out of this one.
I am running both core's, we tried it each way and decided it was more than loud enough with both in. I installed a BMC filter, PCIII and ignition module at the same time, not sure about extra hp yet but it seems to want to float the front wheel a lot easier now :)

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks Man, I mounted the tag in the front holes from the rear pegs and standing back the bottom of the tag is slightly obstructed. I'm gonna move it up to the back ones and see how it looks. I agree that with your comment about the cop runners and I don't want the local PD thinking that's what I'm going for.

·
DOWN TO RIDE
3,763 Posts
Yup, full Boz System and I love it :boobies
Sounds better than I had hoped it would, VERY LOUD but that's what I wanted on this bike. We're building a replica out of this one.
I am running both core's, we tried it each way and decided it was more than loud enough with both in. I installed a BMC filter, PCIII and ignition module at the same time, not sure about extra hp yet but it seems to want to float the front wheel a lot easier now :)
THANKS BUDDY
FOR THE INFO
SO WOULD YOU SAY IT WAS LOUDER WITH JUST THE PRIMERY CORE OR WITH BOTH CORES IN??????
WAS THERE ANY DIFFRENCE?????
IM JUST TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT THIS CAUSE I WANT ONE AND I HAVEN FOUND ANY REVIEWS ON IT

·
Riding dirt for the winter
1,097 Posts
Let me guess you were in Montgomery Co.? In MD staties and moco cops will snag you if you plate is anywhere but stock location with a light.

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THANKS BUDDY
FOR THE INFO
SO WOULD YOU SAY IT WAS LOUDER WITH JUST THE PRIMERY CORE OR WITH BOTH CORES IN??????
WAS THERE ANY DIFFRENCE?????
IM JUST TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT THIS CAUSE I WANT ONE AND I HAVEN FOUND ANY REVIEWS ON IT
It was definitly louder with without both cores in when we tried it at first, and didn't really like the sound at all then. Put the primary in and it sounded better but still way too LOUD. Put the baffle in and then it had that tone I was looking for. To answer your question specifically it is MUCH LOUDER without either core in. Trust me unless you want to wake up the neighborhood everytime you fire it up it is plenty loud with both in. I'll try and post up a vid with sound

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me guess you were in Montgomery Co.? In MD staties and moco cops will snag you if you plate is anywhere but stock location with a light.
Nope, was in AA County and he was a county cop as well, think he was a rookie. Moved it back some so we'll see what happens next.

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
man that pipe is horrible looking and makes the tail look like shiht
Ahh the God of motorcycle design has spoken, thanks for your opinion :bow

Do agree with you though on the tail looking shit, we're fabricating a custom one so hopefully it will meet your expectaions :saw:

·
Malum Prohibitum
1,287 Posts
Here you go:

(b) On a vehicle for which one registration plate is required, the plate shall be attached on the:

(1) Front of the vehicle for a Class F (tractor) vehicle; and

(2) Rear of the vehicle for every other vehicle.

(c) At all times, each registration plate shall be:

(1) Maintained free from foreign materials, including registration plate covers as defined in ? 13-411.1 of this subtitle, and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(2) Securely fastened to the vehicle for which it is issued:

(i) In a horizontal position;

(ii) In a manner that prevents the plate from swinging; and

(iii) In a place and position to be clearly visible.

MD Code, Transportation, ? 13-411

I love how these laws leave "clearly visible" up to interpretation. If you want to be safe, and hassle free, I would move it. If not, you could always make the argument that it is visible.

·
Philly Rider
407 Posts
I have my tag in the same place with a light above it and I have been pulled over at least six times in the past two years. Every time a Pa state trooper and one time in OC maryland. All warnings

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here you go:

(b) On a vehicle for which one registration plate is required, the plate shall be attached on the:

(1) Front of the vehicle for a Class F (tractor) vehicle; and

(2) Rear of the vehicle for every other vehicle.

(c) At all times, each registration plate shall be:

(1) Maintained free from foreign materials, including registration plate covers as defined in ? 13-411.1 of this subtitle, and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(2) Securely fastened to the vehicle for which it is issued:

(i) In a horizontal position;

(ii) In a manner that prevents the plate from swinging; and

(iii) In a place and position to be clearly visible.

MD Code, Transportation, ? 13-411

I love how these laws leave "clearly visible" up to interpretation. If you want to be safe, and hassle free, I would move it. If not, you could always make the argument that it is visible.
Thanks for the info :thumbup , been looking myself and can't find a damn thing :mad:

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have my tag in the same place with a light above it and I have been pulled over at least six times in the past two years. Every time a Pa state trooper and one time in OC maryland. All warnings
Do they actually tell you something worthwhile when they stop you, like what the exact law is :fact

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.