Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i called Graves today to get some info straight from the source.

here were my questions, and their answers (if anyone cares)

1) how much weight do I save going from stock to the Graves slip-on. answer: about 4 pounds. if you buy the full system, you save about 9 pounds.

2) does the slip-on remove the cat converter? answer: yes

3) what performance gain can i expect and do i need a power commander? answer: about 4-5 horsepower and yes, you must have a PC. maps are available specifically for the graves system. also, the Graves guy said that on the R1, if you remove the CAT, you MUST get a PC to make it run right.

4) how is your stock? answer: we have units in stock; just got more in.

5) how would you characterize the sound of the slip-ons? answer: the slip on is louder than stock and is a deeper sound than most slip ons. they are not the high-pitch whiny type like some others out there. this graves slip-on has the same sound characteristics as past Graves slip-ons for older R1's.

I forgot to ask about the torque curve, but a smoother torque curve is implied with a pipe and PC3.

cheers. :thumbup

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
graves is too expensive to buy direct. you can find them for $830 a set from one of the sponsor websites.

i'm ordering through my local guy since i get the racer discount which is a little more than cost.

at $800 + the PC3 at around $280, that's a good chunk of change for the exhaust system. that's more than 10% the cost of the whole friggen bike. WTF is that all about?

on the other hand, it is really two cans and not one, plus the midpipe etc...

:ugh

·
L8R2U
21,412 Posts
Good info:thumbup Is the 04 PC III different? anyone? anyone?

·
No, you can't ride it
603 Posts
fastdiablo said:

3) what performance gain can i expect and do i need a power commander? answer: about 4-5 horsepower and yes, you must have a PC. maps are available specifically for the graves system. also, the Graves guy said that on the R1, if you remove the CAT, you MUST get a PC to make it run right.

cheers. :thumbup

·
No, you can't ride it
603 Posts
fastdiablo said:

here were my questions, and their answers (if anyone cares)

So if you get a slipon you really need to get the Power Commander to get it set-up correct?:dunno My slipon is here, just waiting for the PC. Who has the maps? I keep checking Graves site but nothing for a 04 posted.

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts
Man, I bet all the aftermarket exhaust companies are loving the
'04 R1. It's going to bring in lots of $$$$ for them. :fact Hell, by
the time you've got the twin slip-on's and the PCIII plus the
shipping your gonna be up near the one grand mark. :scared
If the stock system really sounds that good I'd leave it alone for
the time being.

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
880 Posts
tough decision...

It's a tough nut... alot of cash to let go of. Probably worth every bit in sound- but if it causes a mid-range dip, maybe something to consider- FYI, comparatively, the gix actually has a few more down low for 3-5.. And I could swear my 02 had more than the 04 under 5 grand- however 5-8k, watch out! I hope the new systems can preserve the lower mid range without the trademark dip....

only time and programming will tell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts