Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding today. The combination of the bikes tall first gear, verry little low-end HP, and a passenger on the back, really make taking off from a dead stop a real exercise in clutch/throttle manipulation. (my GF is about a buck fifty and im just over 200 pounds) This is my biggest gripe of the bike. If I could change things I would put a lower first gear in there and the motor from a ZX-10. I know that sounds bad but Id like it better for sure.

· WERA/CCS #217
5,987 Posts
you guys kill me..

i rode a 1990 ninja 250 in college for years and never had a problem with a passenger..

i tell you what.. ill give you my 02 and full tank of gas.. for your 04 with or without the passenger..

drop a tooth on the front sprocket if it really bothers you that much

· Tap dat...
14,400 Posts
I have to agree with these two...just deal with it. If you're that put off by this kind of thing you must get pissed off really easily.

· Banned
9,609 Posts
jkrstich said:
ok, the first gear is tall because: shit I don't know why.... deal with it, the damn thing has more than enough power down low, learn to slip the clutch a little more, or get a smaller front sprocket.
:iamwithst

Besides, aren't you "balbino"; exceeding the maximum weight load? :lol Perhaps you should have bought a Sport Touring Bike like a ZX12R or the Busa, or better yet the Yamaha FJR.:fact

· Banned
9,609 Posts
UR1 said:
Badger, have you ridden at sea level with a bike or car that is fuel injected? One of my friend geared his bike lower due to the altitude here and loves it but thinks that the first gear on my R1 is too high.
I have ridden both sea level and high altitude on a liter bike as well as many other bikes and autos. The stock set up from Yamaha is fine at sea level but is a hinderence here in Utah (17% power loss). I changed my countershaft sprocket from a 17T stock to a 16T. It made a world of difference. And no, I don't have to constantly shift. It works great!

· GO CHIEFS!!!
6,866 Posts
It can't be that bad... It still has WAY more torque down low than a 600, and I've never had a problem w/ passengers on them... picky picky...

- BA

· Banned
9,609 Posts
bpa00 said:
It can't be that bad... It still has WAY more torque down low than a 600, and I've never had a problem w/ passengers on them... picky picky...

- BA
Please keep in mind that some of us live at higher elevations than you. Not sure if "balbino" does or not.

For every 1000 ft. in elevation change, you loose approx. 4% of your power. i.e Here in SLC we are at 4260 ft. above sea level on average (not including riding in the canyons up to 9500 ft.) So we are down around 17% compared to sea level. This translates to approx. 131.14 BHP at the rear wheel. Now mix that in with a really tall first gear, and you have some issues with starting out, unless you rev it to the moon and slip the clutch out, (this is not being "Salty").

It's even worse on Motorcycles with less power. e.g. The '02 R1 which makes roughly 138 RWBHP is now making 114.54 RWBHP.

· "Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,200 Posts
Well, all I can say is, I live at sea level and mine runs like a bat out of hell! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! j/k I do notice it when I go to the mountains though! Guess I'm weird! I like the tall first gear! A close ratio trans is all I ever raced with, So it's like coming home to me!

· WERA/CCS #217
5,987 Posts
bpa00 said:

- BA
My point exactly.. most "hip huggers" i know are 600 riders.. and have no problem with a passenger..

· My other bike is your sister
7,422 Posts
Just a theory here....Maybe Yamaha (and Kawi for that matter) kept the gearing a little tall because a 180hp bike that only weighs 440lbs would be a little <ahem> wheelie happy (read:dangerous).

Bad for business to have your new flagship, state-of-the-art superbike, which will not only be purchased by experienced riders but by complete noobs, get a reputation for spitting people off at every street light.

· Beer me
3,891 Posts
How the hell can you ride when the pipes are scraping the tire? I don't think it's designed to carry that much weight. What does the manual say? I think my '99 manual said somewhere close to 300 lbs. I'm not insulting you by any means, I'm just saying.:beer

· Registered
18 Posts
My girl is 134 and I'm 215. I have no problems. The stock gearing is very tall. I mean 90 some MPH in first gear is unheard of. But :fork is trying to eliminate the accidents on the road due to unexperienced riders buying the new 1. But like I said no problems, maybe it's rider experience.

The new 1 is bad ass, plain and simple. It turns many heads and finally is going to give the Gixxer a run at the whole package. Which is looks, HP, and handling.

If you don't like the stock gearing you can always change it. But can you handle roll on 2nd gear weelies?

· True Blue
193 Posts
mattf said:
Just a theory here....Maybe Yamaha (and Kawi for that matter) kept the gearing a little tall because a 180hp bike that only weighs 440lbs would be a little <ahem> wheelie happy (read:dangerous).
Interesting comment. That's exactly what my dealer said when I first bought the bike. He warned me of the tall first gear to stop people from being "wheelie happy".

· L8R2U
21,430 Posts
Go down 1 on the front sprocket. End of story.:beer

· Shut up and ride
2,498 Posts
WTF??? You mean to tell me that an 04 Liter bike doesn't have enough juice to get you and a passenger (key word) off fast enough from first gear????????? What are you riding on the back, a freakin elephant? How fast do you want to take off with a passenger? I had no problem taking off with a passenger when I had a 500, and my R1 is too fast for most passengers I ride. The first thing I thought about when I heard of the R1's tall first gear was...."take her all the way out in first, and keep the RPM's up there, and awaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy I go.

· Registered
782 Posts
I would suggest leaving the passanger at home or getting an FJR. You really must not care too much about her if you would put her on the back of an R1! Would you ride there? Besides, this bike really was not designed for passangers.

Sooo, OK nomex on - I'm ready!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.