Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Looking for tank protection. For an 07 R1. Dont want the typical sticker, but rather those grippy kind that encircle the whole tank. Usually are made up of two or three sections i believe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Hey guys,

Looking for tank protection. For an 07 R1. Dont want the typical sticker, but rather those grippy kind that encircle the whole tank. Usually are made up of two or three sections i believe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Immortal Graphix did a custom tank pad for me with my own image and text just recently - Custom Tank Pad

I'm sure they can help you out, but they're not chinese ebay cheap. I'm happy though.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,875 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stomp Grip makes one for the center of the tank also.

You can kinda see it on my bike.
OH wow that was exactly what i was going to ask. Cause KEVAP mentioned the stompgrip and that was the one i was looking at in the first place, but I didnt notice an actual middle section.

That seems like the best choice. Im just stuck between black or clear? I feel like clear would show the paint more, but the fact that my frame is black (07 red and black r1), the black might actually work better. Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
23,875 Posts
Only negative with the clear stomp grip is if you install them without taking your time, you can get bubbles under the the pads which can be seen. For this reason, I recommend black. :yesnod

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only negative with the clear stomp grip is if you install them without taking your time, you can get bubbles under the the pads which can be seen. For this reason, I recommend black. :yesnod
And these can be removed without damaging the paint you think?

·
Super Moderator
23,875 Posts
Yes, no paint damage. Might be some adhesive left over but you can remove it with some wd-40 and a bit of effort.

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,834 Posts
OH wow that was exactly what i was going to ask. Cause KEVAP mentioned the stompgrip and that was the one i was looking at in the first place, but I didnt notice an actual middle section.

That seems like the best choice. Im just stuck between black or clear? I feel like clear would show the paint more, but the fact that my frame is black (07 red and black r1), the black might actually work better. Opinions?
Clear might get nasty (yellowish) over time.

And no, paint will NOT get damaged when/if you remove them.

https://www.stompgrip.com/shop/tank-protector/tank-protector

Stomp Grip for 2007 R1 in black. https://www.stompgrip.com/street-bike-tank-grips-volcano-0006-55-10-0006b-detail

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone fitted one of the Techspec tank protectors to a 15+ R1? I'm trying to decide if they fit well on the R1 tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered the stomp grip. Waiting to see how much it covers before ordering the center portion. Will post pics once installed.

Thanks everyone

·
Become one with THE ONE.
569 Posts
Techspec looks better but it doesn't provide much grip, almost none. Stomp Grip provide much better grip while hang off. Form vs function :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
They are designed to fit the tank perfectly. So yeah, they fit well.
Kev...yes the small center tank pad that comes in the kit for the R1 seems custom cut, but it's tiny just covering the base of the tank near the seat. The other centers are generic and the R1 has the nice shaped tank that narrows. I'll call them Monday.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Side peices look and work great so far. Does anyone have a link to the center peice from Stomp Grip? Its for an 07 R1. Black preferrably. Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts