Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
My R1 blows me!
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to get something on my 02 R1, ont other bikes I've used the basic adhesive type tank pads, and just put up with them peeling up in the heat of the summer.
Anyway I can't decide on a product to protect my tank.
I've been thinking of going with MagKnight's $80 (ouch) tank protector, or just trying out Tankslappers $14.95 vinal thing.

Any help,experince comments, would be appriecated
THANKS!

·
Banned
968 Posts
I use Lochart Phillips but found the bra moves ever so slightly and ends up leaving a spider haze where the bra was tight to the tank. I heard Tank Slapper is the way to go, and plan to purhase it for next years riding season.

·
Yes, It's true, blue is faster
8,163 Posts

·
R1 parking only
189 Posts
There are several different types of tank protectors. One type is small tank pads to protect the tank from scratching either by your belt buckle or from zipper on your race leather. These are rubber pads with adhesive backing or magnetic pads of various colors and somewhat rectangular shaped at about $10-20 bucks.

There's also Carbon fiber shell which is much bigger than the pads and gives little bit more protection due to triangular Shape. These go for about $40 bucks and has adhesive backing for securing.

Another type are 1/2 tank covers, black vinyl with soft cotton flannel backing and they go for about $40 bucks. It is secured to your tank via plastic clips and small rubber bungie cords. Some riders like the small simple tank pad setup for that clean look but if you're more concerned with protection of entire tank, than this is the best choice.

There are others such as "Tank Skins" to match the color of your tank and 1/2 carbon look tank tops.

I have blue carbon fiber shell tank protector for my blue R1 and it protects as advertised. Good luck. :hellobye

·
My R1 blows me!
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn HotRod, nice and shinny & you can't even see it!
I think that's the way to go! Thanks

What kind of wax or polish are you using? Looks damn nice....

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
CFace said:
I can see it but only because I know what to look for ;)

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
On my R1, i've used a tankslapper for over a year. There have been times that I actually have had to inspect the tank by feel to ascertain if it's on.

·
Until it sleeps
5,432 Posts
:( link doesnt work, ill search around on that site and find it though.

·
My wife hates my R1
246 Posts
I"ve had them all ,Im using the magknight right now and really like it a lot , a little pricy ,but a good investment we are talking about the 1 ,so whats a few extra dollars! Good luck! :hellobye

·
Yes, It's true, blue is faster
8,163 Posts
Damn...I cant even see it.:confused: you sure its on there?

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
It's on there. On various the pictures I posted in the past, it can't even be detected. Pluc Lucus is a good guy to deal with.

·
Grip it and rip it!
662 Posts
CFace said:
I think that's the way to go! Thanks

What kind of wax or polish are you using? Looks damn nice....
CFace:

tankslappers are the bomb...www.thetankslapper.com

Best for actually seeing the tank you paid for! Good all around protection...Got 'em on my bike and the wife's SV650S

·
^I wish I was that pocketbike!
2,867 Posts
TerminatorR1 said:
I just ordered the Harris R1 tank protector from www.tobefast.com
me too.. I hope it works.. I went through three different Pro Grip pads and the bastards kept peeling off!! Even when I thoroughly cleaned the tank before installing each one. Let's see how the Harris one holds up.. :machinegu Pro Grip!!

·
Full Time Post Whore
9,058 Posts
I had one of those cheap ones before and that thing sucked big time. The endges would just peel away.

I have this one now, and it sticks like flies to shit...

Attachments

·
Grip it and rip it!
662 Posts
Notice the Zipper scatch on my wifes Suzuki? I was really careful until the R1 came in!

It will not cover up blemishes!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts