Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any ideas on tank protection...I just tried that clear decal shit and it sucked...it wasnt that clear....Thanks

·
back to the world...
1,959 Posts
whta parts are you trying to protect? the part where the tank meets the seat? i haev had two types of tank bras..the magnetic kind and the regular attached kind. here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for a decal pad type or somthing in that field...not the same ones Ive seen...thanks for the pic...nice bike

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,086 Posts
Tank Protector-

Geelong Carboncraft (sml) CF tank protector, made in Australia, $50.00 USD, fit is perfect, very thin, high quality & gloss (matches Magical Racing parts perfectly).

Link: http://www.geelongcarboncraft.com/

Have had 3 Progrip pads & Tankslapper, none held up, this ones a keeper.

If you buy it, remove 3M double sided tape before install, clean & apply silicone III to underside & apply, tape in place for 20-30min. and your done, the 3m double-sided tape is extremely hard to position correctly the 1st time, where the silicone allows for adjustment before cure.

Attachments

·
Disturbed Riders
200 Posts
By clear decal shit are you saying the Tankslapper? I am using Tankslapper mine turn out great. I did install them when it was cooler out and I had to redo them on a warmer day. If you are using them you can drop me a PM and I will tell you how i did mine.

Jeff

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used the one form www.tankslapper.com It's so clear you can barely see it. It goes on using water and then you just get a squeegie and it sticks very good. If it comes up just reapply it and your done! Only cost about $20 and you get the part that protects the area between the rider and tank as well as the parts on both sides to the tank where your legs are.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried the tank slapper cling on ,on my 900rr and it didnt look that good after a couple of reapplications...so on my r1 I tried this Clear Tank Armor also 2 piece But a decal...I liked the way the tank slapper looked better,but it didnt last..The tank armor decal
didnt look so invisible..it looked dirty or yellow or something...
I will keep looking I guess....Thanks everyone for the pics and your advise....

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Regarding the carbon fiber looking tank thing, most areas of tank-rider contact are completely unprotected, so this one is rendered inadequate. Regarding the TankSlapper, I have been using it on the race track on my R1 for the past year, and prior to that, on the street before I converted into a track bike, since I bought it new, with no problems at all. It works perfectly as claimed, is easy to apply, is inexpensive, and for all practical purposes, completely invisible, alowing the tank to remain unblemished, and uncovered in appearance (if you like the looks of your tank).

·
12,225 Posts
Here's a pic of my bike with a one year old TankSlapper kit, that has been used on the race track for the past year. It's just as hard to see in person as it is in the photo.

Attachments

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
:iamwithst good stuff :thumbup

·
Gixer eater
107 Posts
Eyespy,
What is that black metal framed thing bolted to the side of your bike?

·
12,225 Posts
DorshR1 said:
Eyespy,
What is that black metal framed thing bolted to the side of your bike?
I was wondering if someone would ask about that. It's a Graves rear ride height tool. It isn't actually bolted onto the frame, it slides into the frame hole and the swing arm pivot hole just below it. It allows accurate and precise adjustments to rear ride height and is useful in setting sag.

I had just installed a Penske shock and set the rear ride height and rear sag at the time I took the pic, so that's why it is on there. When you're done, it just slides off.

·
WFSR************
5,352 Posts
Eyespy said:
I was wondering if someone would ask about that. It's a Graves rear ride height tool. It isn't actually bolted onto the frame, it slides into the frame hole and the swing arm pivot hole just below it. It allows accurate and precise adjustments to rear ride height and is useful in setting sag.

I had just installed a Penske shock and set the rear ride height and rear sag at the time I took the pic, so that's why it is on there. When you're done, it just slides off.
I think that would also serve as crash protection too, that it what I made up first:2bitchsla

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
RR1,

Go to the local cycle dealer and get some sheets of number plate background that is made for dirt bikes. You can get it in all sorts of colors and even in carbon fiber look. It's a heavy duty vinyl, about 15 mil I think, that you can cut to ANY shape you want. Mess around with some paper templates and when you get a shape you like, cut it out and stick it on the tank. Best of all, when you get tired of that design, make a new one! It's really the best way to go I think.

If you want pics of my tank done like this, let me know.

Scott

1 - 20 of 20 Posts