Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rangers Lead the Way
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. Looking to get a tank protector but I am not sure about adhesive or magnetic. Does the adhesive hurt the paint when you have to replace the protector, or do the magnetic ones move around and scratch the paint. I like the looks of the moto-graphics ones. Has anybody used them and how are they. Post pics if you have them. Still waiting for the One. Was told 1 March, so hopefully I get the call soon. Thanks

·
Banned
494 Posts
i gots mine from motographics. i got the carbon fiber. it looks good and it doesent hurt the paint. and you can peel it off if you want. and it wont peel paint off with it. so your safe with the adhesive kind. I never even herd of a magnetic protecter.

·
Big Pimpin'
190 Posts
I've got a Mag Knight magnetic one and I've been happy with it. It moves around a little, but easily goes back into place.

Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out Second Look Seats. They have marine grade vinyl that matches factory paint and and stripping. It fully covers the rear portion and sides of the tank. Its held on with an intragal bungee and velcro you apply underther tank. I've had mine for over a year and not one scratch. Bout $90.

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
bwat2 said:
Need some help. Looking to get a tank protector but I am not sure about adhesive or magnetic. Does the adhesive hurt the paint when you have to replace the protector, or do the magnetic ones move around and scratch the paint. I like the looks of the moto-graphics ones. Has anybody used them and how are they. Post pics if you have them. Still waiting for the One. Was told 1 March, so hopefully I get the call soon. Thanks
After trying numerous stick on plastic ones, I switched to a carbon fiber protector from Geelong CarbonCraft in Australia.

It holds up much better than plastics & scratches buff out easily, and it matches the Magical Racing CF tanksides perfectly :rock

Attachments

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Re: Re: Tank protectors

rorlow said:
After trying numerous stick on plastic ones, I switched to a carbon fiber protector from Geelong CarbonCraft in Australia.
Whatever you do though,DONT buy a front hugger from these guys Rorlow:no A mate of mine *JJJR6* has one on his bike,and its such a poor fit,that a section has almost literally rubbed through,from it rubbing on the tyre:yesnod

I have one of their exhaust brackets on my bike,and it fits well though:thumbup

As for the tank protector,if youre overly concerned about it peeling off some clear paint if you ever decide to remove it,before you put it on wax the area*this will help prevent grabbing when taking off*:fact

Just my 0.2cents.
:D

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
the sponsors of this forum can offer us many things. take a tour. am sure u can find something that will impress u ;)

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tank protectors

Ozzy_R1_demon said:
Whatever you do though,DONT buy a front hugger from these guys Rorlow:no A mate of mine *JJJR6* has one on his bike,and its such a poor fit,that a section has almost literally rubbed through,from it rubbing on the tyre:yesnod:D
At this point I think there is sufficient CF on my bike :lol

Any more and I think it would be overboard (some already think it is), I seem to have a similier addiction to TI as of late :lol

On a side note, I've been talking with Gregg about a possible TI kickstand for the 02. If anyone else is interested let him know, maybe he'll start making those as well. I already gave him photo's of the one Sato makes for the RC51/SP2 for reference :thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts