121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
you did read and respect that sign correct?? lol sweet bike for sure man

·
`THATS GOLD`
61 Posts
The funny thing is, when I pulled up to take this pic my front tyre slid out on the rocks you can see under the bike and I dropped it. only small scratches on the axle sliders and Barkbusters but thats what they are there for and its not a Tard unless it has scratches.

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
well it sucks ya went down but no damage so its all good. Yeah ya gota have a scratch or two to give it some caracter lol

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
:sing:

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
looks sweet!! just needs some lights for road fun :)

·
37,599 Posts
looks sweet!! just needs some lights for road fun :)

Nope, track only (90% dirt, 10% pavement). I'll be picking up a couple WR450F bikes in a couple of years so my son and I can do the Trans American Trail . Once we're done with that, I'll put the wheels on the WR and turn it to street use. In order to ride on the TaT, you have to have street legal vehicles.

I just did my first 'tard session yesterday, and am currently converting it back to dirt use as we speak.

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
very cool

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
did ya like the tard session? Is this used for both dirt & tarding? my plan was to use the wr450 for both then didnt like switching it back and forth so i just went and bought a 08 wr250f for dirt only and now the 450 is SM only.

·
37,599 Posts
It was fun. But, then again, it was on full pavement on a technical track. No jumps, just a ultralight class run was all. That's pretty much most of the 'tard riding I'll do anyways. I just prefer the dirt more. I wasn't sliding like some guys do, and it's a different style of riding so I'm still learning.

As to converting, takes about two hours to swap wheels, chain, fender and handlebar. I bought the kit so I could do some track days with friends of mine a couple of times a year. :yesnod

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
yeah track days are awsome on a SM. Most guys dont slide it into the corners ( i cant do it either lol) but its still fun. I like dirt too but youll like the asphalt the more ya ride it.

Did ya try foot out or try knee down like a road racer? Ive road raced before and i feel alot faster and more comfortable with my foot out on hte SM. Mine isnt lowered and i feel like im to high to drag my knee on it but i know guys who do it really well. You need to rig up a light and bring it to the gap in june!

·
37,599 Posts
Was definitely a lot of fun on the 'tard. I did this same track a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it more yesterday. I was hitting the corners much faster than when I was on my R1 a couple of years ago and I had been riding that aggressively for three years before getting on the track.

Once I got comfortable, it got better. I never got off the bike much because I didn't need to with still learing (I'm also a big guy, so I don't move easily on bikes that weigh less than me). I stuck with knee down, or attempting to rather more than anything. Next time I'm out, I'll change it up. But, in the dirt, it's definitely foot out.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to hit up the convention until next year at the earliest. However, most likely won't be until 2010, when I'm planning on doing the Trans American Trail. It'll make it easier to get to both. In the meantime, I'll have fun doing MX, harescrambles and now 'tarding it up.

This particular day is a once a year event. But, there's others trackdays held there. I also need to pick up a 'tard kit for my son's YZ250F, and leathers for him as well. I'm planning on having him get his MC license next summer (MSF required as he'll be 16) after he does this. (My wife's going to hate me for introducing him not only to dirt bikes, but street as well. :lol :lol)

·
37,599 Posts

·
37,599 Posts

·
37,599 Posts
:lol:lol :dunno are Jawja boys welcome in the North??

I think we can make an exception or two. :crash

Just avoid going through Iowa on your way up and you'll be fine. :)

Oh, and you won't have to worry about Bogie being on the track to slow you down either. Apparently, he's scared of them.

121 - 140 of 170 Posts
About this Discussion
169 Replies
53 Participants
mattf
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing