Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so as I said I picked up a loud rattle in the top end when bike is warm it rattles when revved in gear or out of gear. As hooligan said im sure its something valve train. I've got the tank off and the airbox and I'm looking down into the head in the first hole (clutch side) I notice that the stems are more inwards towards the motor than the other three holes. If that makes sense is that normal or does it seem like a sticking valve or worn stem i plan on going deeper thus up coming weekend any input would help

·
Registered
117 Posts
Post a picture of what you mean by “stems are more inwards towards the motor than the other three holes”

·
Registered
7 Posts
I currently have my 2008 motor dropped and am performing valve service as well as installing YEC valve springs. Please post a pic so I can possibly give some insight.

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a video of the sound im having if that helps im gonna go more into the motor in another video have you guys heard this sound before?

·
Registered
7 Posts
hmm, no I haven't. I have 22k on mine and had the issue of a bad cam chain tensioner but that caused a completely different sound. I have heard of people having similar issues but the noise went away after oil pressure built up. Does the sound ever go away or is it constant?

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its been constant it doesn't do it when its cold but as the bike warms up it gets more prominent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would look into the top end internals and look for excessive wear then. How well do you trust the guy that did your valves? Because that could very well be the issue as well... They could just be rattling off the cam lobes which would explain why it gets louder when the bike is warm as well as throughout the revs

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest with you I don't really know the guy hes a friend of a friend that just graduated from some motorcycle school in Arizona I gave him the bike to try to get rid of the sound and he said it needed a valve adjustment I do admit when I got it back the bike started up faster then it did before and I did see he put a new gasket on the head but when I got the bike back it still had that sound and he said it was the breathers and he charged me 300

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would definitely look into the valves then. I had a buddy with a newer R6 that had the same issue. Friend of a friend and it turns out it was a bad valve adjustment

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awsome man thanks again. Hopefully your on this weekend when I open it up I'm gonna need some help since this will be my first attempt at a valve adjustment shims are 80 bucks and the dealer quoted for 700 thats why I went 3rd party ill check the cams and valves too

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how's all this looking so far the cams don't wiggle what so ever cam chain looked decently tight. Does everything look in spec so far as normal wear 🤔?

·
Registered
29 Posts
how's all this looking so far the cams don't wiggle what so ever cam chain looked decently tight. Does everything look in spec so far as normal wear 🤔?
Not to doubt your friend but it could be possible that he reversed one of the shims. Not an expert and I cant really see any high wear marks either, just look out for lighter colored parts or anything that looks damaged. Never heard this sound before and I'm a relatively new R1 owner but it sounds like something I wouldn't want to run.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not to doubt your friend but it could be possible that he reversed one of the shims. Not an expert and I cant really see any high wear marks either, just look out for lighter colored parts or anything that looks damaged. Never heard this sound before and I'm a relatively new R1 owner but it sounds like something I wouldn't want to run.
As in one of the shims is so loose its making the sound.

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Zach! I got the filler gauges yesterday im gonna check clearances today if they are ok im going to pull the cams and look at the shims. Worst case scenario im going to drop the motor and pull the whole cylinder head and check springs stems valves etc ill keep you updated

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was able to quickly check the clearances and this is what I found. It was my first time and now its getting dark but I'm going to double and triple check tomorrow morning but by the looks of this no wonder why there was a rattle does anyone see what could be the rattling culprit from this . I know it looks really off considering from what I read .11mm to .20mm intake and .26mm to .30mm exhaust is that also correct

·
Registered
170 Posts
The valves are nearly all tight which isn’t what you would expect with your rattle sound (sounds like loose valve clearances to me)

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I may have checked wrong. Does it mean it's tighter if the number is of lesser value?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts