Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think I may have checked wrong. Does it mean it's tighter if the number is of lesser value?
Ideally you use a feeler gauge. And the smaller the measurement the less space. There should be a number for the valve clearances in your manual. I can't recall them

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ok second time around I noticed that exhaust were all the same at .23mm and that the intake valves were all within spec. I pulled the plugs and they look like they've never been changed ill post a pick does my sound sound similar to spark knock or would going deeper be a better opinion

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok so to my findings today I took my header exhaust off just to look at the valves on the inside and I decided to crank it until the cam lobes were off of each cylinder and I put my finger in each cylinder to push slightly against each valve to see if there was any play. Turns out there a small id say 2mm play between the valve and the guides on both the exhaust valves in cylinder one. Every other cylinder on each side (ex/int) we're solid. I would assume that its the dreaded valve guide wear on 08s there shouldn't be any play correct?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yep 2mm is substantial and is definitely a problem that needs fixing ASAP. The head definitely needs pulling and sorting

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Is this something I could do or is it something a shop needs to machine or should I just buy a used head in working condition off ebay for 350 what route would you personally go

·
Registered
169 Posts
You need a machine shop to do the work. I’d pull the head and strip it down, then take it to a head reconditioning shop to get a quote on the work, remember that after they are done it will be like new. If the quote is more than you want to spend then I’d go down the second hand on eBay road, it’s anyone’s guess what you may get. If you do get second hand I’d still take it to a head shop to get them to check it over and reface it ready for a perfect reassembly

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Hoonicorn you've been a Giant help threw this process its very appreciated 🙏 hopefully here soon I can get a new form going of it up and running. Atleast we all know what that sound is now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm heading deeper this is what I see so far lmk what you think
Hey, thank you for doing this thread. I had a separate question on how you got the top of the intake off. I am trying to install a new throttle kit, but I can't get the intake off. I see that on piston 3, the clamp bolt is on the back side of the head closest to the front of the bike. I can get the other three loose, but I can't get that one. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for high jacking the thread.

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha YZF R1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey ofcourse brother to be completely honest with you I ran into the same exact problem with it being on the back side I loosened the three clamps i could and just wiggled the throttle bodies up and down with force while pulling up to get it off that last clamp (probitally not the best idea) but it worked great for me just take your time and it'll work. I didn't see any other way without some special tool. I plan on reinstalling it with that one clamp slightly loose too. Lmk what you do and Happy Thanksgiving!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts