Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
USMC/0369 1986-2008
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:2bitchsla I hate myself. I know it is petty but, the first time a bike gets marred or scratched are the hard times.

I was backing the bike out of the carport (mind you that I have a gravel driveway) anyway, I was dismounting and my foot slipped out and I began to cry as the bike went lower and lower to the ground.

I ended up with the casing (left side), mirror, f&b turn signals getting scratched up. It didn't fall but, slowly layed to it's side. :cryin

Now when I stood it up the damn thing wouldn't crank. I tried a couple of times, no avail. I shut it off and tried again, nothing. Shut it off again and tried and it finally fired. I rode it into work and everything seemed fine. No hesitation/sluggishness.

Is there anything else I need to look for that might be screwy from laying on it's side? Oil/Feul ect....:dunno

·
Registered
377 Posts
If it just fell to the side your probably ok. R1's are low sided so frequently w/o mechanical problems...just rash, scratches...etc...

If you dont have sliders get some....they will save you some money in the long run.

Check your clutch lever for any bending.

Sounds like a 120-150 dollar fix for OEM parts through mrcycles...just mention the forum.

Sorry to hear, but it was bound to happen and just about all of us have been there....Probably much worse...

·
If We're Even, I'm Leavin'
272 Posts
Lucky it was the left side, At least you saved your exhaust.

·
??????
448 Posts
Your bike will be fine if you would have held the throttle wide open when you stood it back up it would have started.. this is what i've been told... no I've never set my bike down.. :p

·
USMC/0369 1986-2008
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JestR-1 said:
Lucky it was the left side, At least you saved your exhaust.
Yes, I was lucky that it was on the left instead of the right. Not only would it have been the exhaust but, the lower fairing as well.

I guess this gives me an excuse to get flush signals up front.

I was wondering though, would it be cheaper to have the case powder coated or is the metal to soft to rub out?

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I'm sure its fine... Bikes never want to start back up right after they are dropped... The first one always hurts. I scratched my tank the very first week I had mine while installing the steering damper (wrench slipped)...

- BA

·
YEEEEEEE!!!!!
1,980 Posts
My girlfriend tipped my 600r over in the DMV parking lot right after she got her cycle permit.:lol :yesnod

She tipped it on the right side. didnt damage the pipe, jsut put a little scratch in it, which didnt bother me cause it was just the stock(BLACK) Ugly exhaust anyway. And then scratched the side of the turn signal, and a little scratch on the paint. Nothing noticable from 5 feet away. I actually felt bad for her because she felt so bad for tipping it.

But I picked it up and it started fine. It isnt going to affect anything as long as it hasnt been on its side for a long time. Obviously leaving it on its side for hours isnt good, but a couple seconds, ppff. There made tough. You dont pay 11 g's for something that cant be tipped on its side for 3 seconds and have soemthing go wrong other than a scratch. Its not that big of a deal. I know it sucks, but you learn to get over it.;)

After all, its just a bike. << oh man, Im gonna hear about that. :lol

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
bpa00 said:
I'm sure its fine... Bikes never want to start back up right after they are dropped... The first one always hurts. I scratched my tank the very first week I had mine while installing the steering damper (wrench slipped)...

- BA
MAN.... I bet that wrench went flying!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
Clay said:
MAN.... I bet that wrench went flying!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

Oh yeah, I was installing an Sub in my car last summer and had a screwdriver "slip" and go right thru the cone.

Their was dead bodies everywhere........So I can imageine what it would be like to do it to your tank....

It hurts even more when it is something stupid like that, and you did it!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
USMC/0369 1986-2008
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[After all, its just a bike. << oh man, Im gonna hear about that. :lol [/B][/QUOTE]

:2bitchsla What the hell were you thinking when you wrote that:dunno LOL

After all she's just a wife - that I can understand, anyone can get a new wife! But, it's just a bike! Mother of Pearl, you need to live in a van down by the river.

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
Do yourself a favor and invest in a set of Intuitive Frame Sliders.
They bolt right on. Low speed crashes and drops in the driveway
like yours and they will save your bike. I dropped mine on the
right side (clutch side) and no damage except for one little small
scratch on the lower fairing. I covered that with a shoei sticker.
It's cheap insurance for your body work.

·
USMC/0369 1986-2008
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Skeeter said:
Do yourself a favor and invest in a set of Intuitive Frame Sliders.
They bolt right on. Low speed crashes and drops in the driveway
like yours and they will save your bike. I dropped mine on the
right side (clutch side) and no damage except for one little small
scratch on the lower fairing. I covered that with a shoei sticker.
It's cheap insurance for your body work.

I was actually going to get some on friday when I got paid. If I Only knew:rant

·
69!
902 Posts
there is a great big dirrerence in the quality of tools. find your local snap on truck. i dont have alot of money, the r1 was kind of a once in a decade type of thing, but i buy 1 thing every few weeks. it may sound stupid to pay 28 bucks for a 10mm wrench, but if it saves you a scratch one time its worth it imho. you wont lose it either. craftsman are fine for my truck...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts