Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have opinions or experience with these systems? I ride street and track, so the switch-ability of tech Air is nice, but I could also afford to buy a street and track kit from Daniese.

I would like maximum protection for my chest area—I think you can only get that on the Mugello D Air, whereas the tech air has full coverage.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm going through a similar debate. Leaning towards Dainese right now. My last suit of theirs went through around a dozen crashes, two in the triple digits, and still saved my skin. Too bad I had to get cut out of it... I would still rock that thing.

·
I miss my R1
2,975 Posts
Considering Alpinestars stole the tech from Dainese, you may as well buy whichever is cheaper... while you can.

https://dainese.echoscomm.com/the-munich-court-of-appeals-rules-against-alpinestars-in-d-airr-patent-infringement

The Munich Court of Appeal ruled in favor of Dainese regarding the core issues of the litigation, has issued the judicial order:

1) prohibiting Alpinestars to commercialize the Tech-Air™ Street Airbag Vests and Tech-Air™ Racing Airbag Vests in Germany;

2) ordering Alpinestars to recall any such vests which Alpinestars has supplied since 1 July 2015 and which are still in the possession of commercial customers in Germany;

3) Compensating Dainese for all damages suffered due to the sale of the infringing vests in Germany since 1 July 2015.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Infringement is not about tech, Alp* released a response. Tech air ain't going anywhere.

I have tried both, bought tech air. Crashed in it on track and it saved me. It's the superior tech, does not require to send back whole suit, only air vest that goes inside the suit. Firmware can be updated to street or track riding. You get two crashes with track riding before sending vest back to Alp* in NY. On street mode you get only one crash as both canisters deploy.

Tech air is a bit lighter and can be aired easier. Go try both on and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with helite gp air vest. Pluses are it provides protection for neck which neither dainese nor tech air do. Also, it can be removed between sessions on track thus allowing rider to cool of faster and doesn't hang to your knees or whatever when you let track suit dangle down. Seems like the tech air would be very clumsy to let hang down when resting and cooling off. Also, helite gp works with whatever your current track suit is...and never needs to be sent back somewhere. Just pop in a new air canister and you are ready to go.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ended up buying the Alpinestars tech air with the GP Tech V2 suit and the Missile Air jacket for the street.

The Tech V2 has a super nice fit and even with the tech air vest installed it felt less bulky then a normal suit with a back protector.

Need to call Alpinestars today to get the vest registered so I can down load the street use software.

Everything seems pretty intuitive but you will need to read the manual. Kind of dumb the charging port isn’t easier to reach without unzipping the vest.

Also, why not have both the street and race software on the vest and be able to toggle between the two modes.

I assume those will be future upgrades. Speaking of upgrades, I would also hope that a big benefit of Alpinestars is that you could just upgrade your vest and your existing suit would remain compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Windyrun
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing