Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seeing that the weather was unseasonably perfect today, I suited up and went down to Speedy's Cycle Duati Dealership in Batimore. Before I go on, if you are ever in the market for a Ducati, I highly recommen these guys. Excelent customer service and great people. Anyway, I went there with ounly the intention to look and maybe hear one. Next thing I know the salesperson throws me the keys and tells me to go for a ride! When I asked how far could I go, he just said if I ran out of gas, fill it up, bring back the receipt and they would reimburse me! Couldn't believe it!! The bike only had 1 mile on it!

When I first got on her, couldn't believe how light and thin it was. Hearing the sound of the engine through the stock cans was quite impressive. My buddy rode my R1 and we pulled out onto the street. Knowing that these bikes had more low end power I took it easy at first. Had a little hard time getting used to the rumble of a V-Twin. After getting used to the throttle, I started to open her up. Great jump off the stop. On the roll it didn't do too bad, but there was a signficant difference in torque. It was absolutely perfect in the corners, however, I didn't want to lean too much since they were new tires on a relatively cooler day. I was suprised how quickly she lost power on the straight aways. Absolutely NO competition to the R1! Brakes were also great. Should be noted, this bike does NOT come with any type of steering damper, and it is a MUST have for this bike.

The mirrors are absolutely useless. You might as well bring a pocket mirror with you. The onboard dash would be much better if it were a bit more lit up. Seat was pretty comfortable, but in need of a Corbin mod.

I didn't want to take too much advantage of this guy's generosity, so I only rode it for about 20 miles. When I returned the bike, I told the guy that I liked it, but would miss the power on my R1 too much. His response: "In a couple of weeks we'll have a 1098 demo. I'll call you when it comes in!"

All in all, a great bike, however not for me. I wouldn't be able to take the loss in perfomance. It does looks and feels great. I would best describe this bike as a incredibly sexy R6 with more low end power. Can't wait to test ride the 1098!!! :boobies

Attachments

· AFTERHELLBURNER
1,729 Posts
same story here in atlanta followed my bud to the ducati shop this was before the 848's were out they had a mv agusta demo, he was like go ahead they'll let you ride it. Needless to say i declined the last thing i need is to wad up a brand new bike on a demo ride.

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
The 848 and 1098 are very nice looking bikes. I'd love to own one some day.

· You just got passed by a chick
283 Posts
I almost got the 848 a couple of weeks ago, but it just didn't feel right to me. I got the R1 instead. My 3rd Yama in my 20 plus years of riding & track days. The DUC looks good but its just not for me.

· Forum Moderator
32,955 Posts
Great looking bike. Nice write up.

· Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very few(and I've never seen any)places will alow the test ride of bikes. I wish I could find a place to let me, I'd pack a lunch and stay all day!
This is the only place I have EVER test ridden a bike. I know some places that let you test used ones. I ws in utter disbelief that this guy gave me the keys to a BRAND NEW Ducati 848 with only 1 mile on it and said...have fun!

· I hate criminals
1,754 Posts
If it is still nice on saturday I just might have to hit that place up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.