Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Southern Indiana
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share a OMG moment.

Have you ever changed your clutch and seen that little wire that holds the first metal plate in your clutch?

I've heard discussions before about wheter or not it should be left out or not.

Well mine disappeared many miles ago(I'm at 46,000 miles right now) well today I found it.........

·
Southern Indiana
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason that my motor is out is because I am/was in the process of changing out my second gear.......it slips under acceleration.

On that note......I can see 2nd gear and it doesn't look worn.

Anyone have any experience with this.

I would put this in the mechanical help section, but not many people look in the 2001 section.

·
One 1 to Rule Them All
4,623 Posts
Check the shift fork, it's usually not the gear but a bent fork that won't allow the gear to fully engage.

Longtime Yammie problem. Had it on my XS11, '88 FZR1000 and '02 R1.

·
Yamahammer
288 Posts
The reason that my motor is out is because I am/was in the process of changing out my second gear.......it slips under acceleration.

On that note......I can see 2nd gear and it doesn't look worn.
There are primary and secondary gears for second gear. That is, there is a drive gear and driven gear. One may be worn without the other being damaged.

·
One 1 to Rule Them All
4,623 Posts

Attachments

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
no thats not second... thats input shaft.. which almost never wears..its 2nd and 5th driven gears on output shaft... gears on that shaft are much larger... it will be first big one on end...that u pull off first.. look inside it at dogs.. they will be worn out.

and yes this is why i take spring out.. no need for it.. just safety to remove it.if u search for my post on undercut tranny... i have pics of gears and what they should look like after undercut. good luck

·
Southern Indiana
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no thats not second... thats input shaft.. which almost never wears..its 2nd and 5th driven gears on output shaft... gears on that shaft are much larger... it will be first big one on end...that u pull off first.. look inside it at dogs.. they will be worn out.

and yes this is why i take spring out.. no need for it.. just safety to remove it.if u search for my post on undercut tranny... i have pics of gears and what they should look like after undercut. good luck
thanks....I'm going to need it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i see you picked up a piece of the yamaha factory styrofoam (sp?) haha, i just did a complete tranny swap on my 02 r6 2 weeks ago and a little piece of styrofoam to hold the motor up saved me from a lot of unnecessary swearing and headache. in my case it was the 2nd gear dogs were worn and one of the shift forks had seen its better days. the swap itself really isnt bad once you get into it, just remember how things came apart. but while you are in there you might as well have the dogs undercut and check all the forks and shift drum, replace what you feel is necessary as it would suck to have to do it again. good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
I had the same problem with that wire not long after I got my '03. It broke into literally a million pieces, most of which were caught by the strainer but nevertheless I still had to strip the entire motor and remove all the bits. It put a mark on the crank's primary gear which meshes with the clutch basket but at least 15k miles on, no problems. Open that strainer up (quite easy to work out how to) as you'll never clean it out completely closed. I do this with every engine I strip. They go back together easily and securely afterwards with care.

Like Long has said, it'll be the dogs on the gears which are worn, not normally the teeth. I've done loads of R1's now. Remember to replace all corresponding gears that mesh their dogs with worn dogs on other gears. New ones meshing on worn will accelerate wear very quickly. Basically, spot one worn gear, replace everyone in that 'chain'. You'll regret it if you don't in the long run.

For most 2nd gear problems you need to replace gear-wise:

Gear, 4th wheel
Gear, 2nd wheel
Gear, 6th wheel

Plus any other parts worn/damaged. It's normally Fork, shift 1 which suffers the most.

Check shift forks for straightness/wear too and the shafts they run on should be replaced also. They almost always have some degree of bend to them which if used again like that will just bend another new shift fork quickly. They're not much money at all :)

Oh, and leave that wire out, doesn't do a damn thing in my experience... It's supposed to make the clutch quieter but I'll bet you notice no difference at all :fact

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.