Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

The best way to run in (break-in) a new engine

11K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ussprinceton 
#1 ·
In need of some help guys!!!
I've just purchased an 07 R1 recently and have been googleing some things about how to most effectively run in an engine. I came across motoman's site and he's saying to do the opposite of the owners manual.
My questions are???
1) how hard do i ride my bike to effectively break it in properly without causing damage?
2) how many K's before the bike is actually run in and its too late to try run it in again?
The website i got this info from is mototuneusa.com!
Has anyone heard or agree with this info?
Any help or advice on this topic would be great...

#4 ·
I think people worry about this too much. I've seen more bikes get messed up by poor maintenance or no maintenance. To me it makes sense to take it easy in the beginning, but that doesn't mean you can't go up in the rpm's. I just wouldn't run a brand new bike up to redline. Also avoid running the engine at a constant rpm for an extended period of time. This is sugessted with motorcycle, cars, and all sorts of vehicles. I wouldn't be quick to dismiss what yamaha says in the manual. They only designed and built the damm thing. In spite of what moto-meister or whatever his name says. Just be sure to do the oil changes. (especially the first one).

#6 ·
to put it simply, everybody has their own oppinion on how to "properly" break in an engine...whether it be bike or car, NEVER use FULLY synthetic oil for the first 3K miles after that whatever floats your boat...when you are breaking in your bike you want to be all over the rpm range, dont stay in one place for ever like on the freeway, say your in sixth gear at ohh...4000 rpms at 60 mph, shift to second for a while and run er, just make sure that you arent pinning it over 7K for the first 1000K miles very important you can break it taht way. and just ride thats all you can do, just make absolutely sure that youarent redlining it and riding the pizz out of it till its broken in or 1K to 1500 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.