Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Top Gun
2,578 Posts
Now thats a trailer!!! very good idea with the futon. You got a sick deal too, i'm looking into trailer rentals and an enclosed 6x12 is going to cost me about $1000 for 1 week. I'm actually considering buying a used one and then selling it after

Thanks yes, I just came back from Miami with it. Wind was really bad so milege was 12mpg 11mpg doing 70mph.

Best investment i ever made though both suv and trailer :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
My trailer hangs on the wall in my garage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
ivebeen looking ito something like this!!! u wouldnt recommend it for longer trips? say like 16hrs drives, ect? also, can u tell me where u got this at?

·
Need $ for bike parts
3,072 Posts
ivebeen looking ito something like this!!! u wouldnt recommend it for longer trips? say like 16hrs drives, ect? also, can u tell me where u got this at?
I have taken it all the way to Missouri. 12+ hour drive. 400+lbs tongue weight doesn't make it the smoothest ride. I do get nervous the bike going to fall off. On longer trips I run a couple straps up to the luggage rack. If the other straps come undone, the bike will fall against the truck and not off into the road.

The brand is Moto-tot, bought it used off ebay about 10 years ago.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have taken it all the way to Missouri. 12+ hour drive. 400+lbs tongue weight doesn't make it the smoothest ride. I do get nervous the bike going to fall off. On longer trips I run a couple straps up to the luggage rack. If the other straps come undone, the bike will fall against the truck and not off into the road.

The brand is Moto-tot, bought it used off ebay about 10 years ago.

thanks man, ill look it up!

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's my setup. 2008 F250 pulling my 2011 KZ MXT301. It has a 10ft garage which is enough to hold 3 bikes and all of our gear including generators etc. I did the 6x12 enclosed thing for years and it got the job done but I determined if I'm gonna be serious about this sport then I have to have a serious setup

·
Need $ for bike parts
3,072 Posts
Here's my setup. 2008 F250 pulling my 2011 KZ MXT301. It has a 10ft garage which is enough to hold 3 bikes and all of our gear including generators etc. I did the 6x12 enclosed thing for years and it got the job done but I determined if I'm gonna be serious about this sport then I have to have a serious setup
That is not a trailer, it's a house!

Nice! :thumbup

·
Super Moderator
24,484 Posts
Whatever you get save for the pitpull trailer restraint. It's the best option for securing your bike in an enclosed or open trailer. Rock solid and the piece of mind of knowing your bike CAN'T tip over is worth the cost.
:stpd:

We know this all too well, right Tony? :crash

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you wanna see one in person I've got one. When you get back I'll throw the bike on it and take it down so you can check one out :sneaky

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you wanna see one in person I've got one. When you get back I'll throw the bike on it and take it down so you can check one out :sneaky
thats awesome man! hell yeah! which brand u go with? im really looking into this one by SMC-600r, off of discountramps.com seems pretty legit. how you like it? pretty confident with long drives?

·
Registered
96 Posts
thats awesome man! hell yeah! which brand u go with? im really looking into this one by SMC-600r, off of discountramps.com seems pretty legit. how you like it? pretty confident with long drives?
I'm pretty sure the one I got I made myself. Perks of being a fabricator :fact
I've seen a couple that people bought but they tend to wiggle around on the back where as I've gotta drive pretty aggressively to make mine wiggle around back there. I haven't had any complaints with mine except that the channel that it fits in is made for dirt bikes so the rear tire doesn't exactly fit in it. Not really a problem for me though I just use a canyon dancer up front and on strap on each side on the passenger pegs. The only reason I use this instead of my truck bed is because I'm too lazy to push it all the way up there and I'm afraid of dropping my baby :crash

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
Now thats a trailer!!! very good idea with the futon. You got a sick deal too, i'm looking into trailer rentals and an enclosed 6x12 is going to cost me about $1000 for 1 week. I'm actually considering buying a used one and then selling it after
He'd almost be better off installing fold down platforms on the wall to convert then into bunks. Would take up less space, and would make for quick shelving if need be. Also, give the ability to haul more than one bike.

·
NSDQ
302 Posts
Here is a few of my HF setup. I elected to weld in some angle iron to get the lights a little higher and to make a boot for the front tire. My dad originally bought this trailer around '95 I think and it is still going strong. I have only replaced the safety chain and wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm getting ready to do a Harbor Freight setup.

What is the process for getting the trailer street legal? Does it need a plate?

·
NSDQ
302 Posts
I'm getting ready to do a Harbor Freight setup.

What is the process for getting the trailer street legal? Does it need a plate?
Yes it needs a plate. Just tell them that it is a homemade trailer. Give some rough estimates on carrying capacity and stuff like that you'll be good to go. At least that's all that TX required from me 5 years ago when I acquired my HF trailer. I suggest getting a treated sheet of three quarter inch plywood and throwing some water seal or paint on it to help it last.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts