Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

The cost for owning an R1

6K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  IXIEvilR1 
#1 ·
Just wondering.. what's the cost for owning an R1. I've heard they are quite expensive to own.

Correct me :)

#2 ·
The only thing that is expensive about owning an R1 is all the cool aftermarket stuff you can get for it. Really though they are not expensive to own I mean the first valve adjustment isn't due till 25000 miles the rest is all just regular maint. So just grip it and rip it

#7 ·
throttle-cntrl: 19.50 dollars a month? What the hell. I gotta do some researching here in Sweden.

We got some scary examples where you need to pay like 1000 dollars month for owning the R1

So Bent.. maybe another bike if you live anywhere else than in the US.

#11 ·
Ha, this is old bro. Look at the dates.

#12 ·
gixxerkilleR1 said:
how the hell is ur insurance so cheap mine is 8000 for full on my r6 so all i can afford is liability and thats still 1300
You are getting screwed. Check you liability, you might have a lot higher coverage than you actually need. Get the State minimum. Then go from there and try and get the rest of it down, eg... 1000 deductable etc.

#14 ·
Swedie said:
throttle-cntrl: 19.50 dollars a month? What the hell. I gotta do some researching here in Sweden.

We got some scary examples where you need to pay like 1000 dollars month for owning the R1

So Bent.. maybe another bike if you live anywhere else than in the US.

I have been qouted $22.000 a year for my R1...

#15 ·
insurance...

i am lucky.. i pay like $39 a month for two bikes..

i pay $360 a year for full coverage for my 2003 R1...
and i have liability on my gsxr.. i did have full coverage on both..
full coverage was only $8 more a month for both bikes.. but i want to sell my 600cc so i dropped it to liability cause its just parked.. i havent ridden it for months...

i know ppl who pay 8000 a year for insurance so they bought bikes with personal loans and just put liability on them for like 800 per year... thats usually ppl who are under 20...

IXI:riding

#16 ·
For me ovning was costly:
2000R1
-$7000 buy
-$500+$400+$1100...+$2400
for only 1year ~$20 000 miles!
+~$50 000 hospital cost (most paid by insurance)

P.S. Too bad I cannot have it any more!
:boom

#17 ·
it is cheaper then owning a vtwin (like my TLR), cost me a fortune in tyres.. the R1 tyres last longer. Cost really depends on what sort of rding you do and how you like to maintain the bike, ie what oil you use, i use motul 300v, but mobil synth is cheaper to use, how often you change your oil, myself i change it with filter every 5000km's, some ppl might wait 6 or 8000km's etc.. so it can vary quite a bit

#20 ·
Dude, its no point asking how much people pay for insurance because there are differing circumstances.
Best thing to do is get on the phone and start calling insurance companies and find out first hand.
Then find out how much registration is going to cost you also.

Then weigh the cost of that to a warm sunny spring day carving up a winding road, no cars within sight and an R1 singing along at 8000rpm (absolutely fantastic).

#21 ·
Robert Z. said:
For me ovning was costly:
2000R1
-$7000 buy
-$500+$400+$1100...+$2400
for only 1year ~$20 000 miles!
+~$50 000 hospital cost (most paid by insurance)

P.S. Too bad I cannot have it any more!
:boom
i had a very expensive 1997 Cbr F3...
$110 Thousand in hospital / ems / Lifeflight helicopter / Trauma Surgeon...

ya know what.. the motorcycle insurance covered the bike.. i only had it three months and they paid me like 100 less then what i paid new for it :yesnod what a deal..lol..

and ya know what.. my health insurance from my work paid EVERY
single medical bill.. i didnt have to pay a dime.. ahahahahah..
since then we switched from HealthAmerica to First Priority.. i figure why not.. i got my moneys worth out of healthamerica..

ooh well.. i am on my third bike since then.. just love to ride..
maybe i one of these days i will take a ride to the plastic surgeon who fixed my leg.. almost tore it off on a guard rail .. 90 % through.. lucky for me everything for your foot is on the back of your leg.. if you saw me.. you would never know it.. i have a nice titanium rod on my femer bone.. if i ever have to have it taken out.. i am deffinatly making it into some type of ehaust hanger or something..ahahah :riding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.