Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd finally start this thread as I've been acquiring parts over the past couple months and finally took delivery on my R1M yesterday. From '06 50th Anny, from my last '12 R1 build and everything in between, this fresh build should turn out to be a good one :drevil:

Let's get the party started! :crash

2015 R1M delivery...

Made it home and the first mod as installed within the first 5 minutes... Graves Spools so I can put it on the rear stand :lol

She's alive...

First round of parts pre-delivery

These showed up as well...

I need to run to Home Depot and grab a 6mm x 1.0mm thread tap to switch to GP-Shift, but I did start a little weight loss project last night once I got settled in. The R1M is giving off that "new bike smell" in my garage so loud it's intoxicating...

Curb feelers, stickers, reflectors, and passenger pegs removed

That dash...

Notice the spring rate from the factory on the R1M

Remove the seat, and you'll notice a familiar setup to the 09-14 with slight improvements (and more bolts :crash)

The human sensor- the IMU located under the battery

A lot more electronics means a lot more wires hidden under the fairings...

I had to locate the ECU and remove it for reflashing

Bench flash - Uploading the Gravespec flash file...

More updates with a little more detail to come. :drevil:

·
"What"
2,324 Posts
Can't wait to see what you do.

Are you going as crazy as the other two builds?

·
Registered
420 Posts
which Graves system do you have? Can looks way shorter than this pic (which is good, as I don't like the long can in the pic below).

·
performance first
2,947 Posts

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,945 Posts
Made it home and the first mod as installed within the first 5 minutes... Graves Spools so I can put it on the rear stand..
Money well spent. :thumbup

It's a shame you don't have more disposable income so you can really do it right... :crash

Thanks for the pics, keep 'em coming!

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the kind words guys :thumbup

Honestly, the bike is AMAZING :ncont: The power kicks in around 7k (still breaking the motor in, but it creeps up in the revs from time to time :crash) It really doesn't need much work, but there are a few things I would like to clean up that would make it more comfortable for me to ride hard. First would be the reverse-shift (GP Shift)

This will probably get copy-pasted into a How-To shortly :D

Yamaha makes it very easy to use the original rearsets and QSS for "reverse" or "GP" shifting. The manual calls for a 1.0mm thread tapped about 6mm deep. This can easily be obtained at your local hardware store...

Yamaha pre-machined a hole for the reverse location, so locate it and thread it...

Threaded.

Once threaded, simply move the existing bolt and shift rod over to the newly threaded hole located on the other side of the pivot bolt...

Once this is complete, the shift rod will need to be adjusted. Best practice for quickshifters are to use 90 degree angles, so adjust accordingly. Use two 10mm wrenches for this effort.

I added a Ti racespec bolt to finish the job :crash

Easy as pie :thumbup

I also took a moment to install the GB Racing covers... They saved my engine covers from a lowside last November, hopefully they protect the CP4 just as well :yesnod

The engine bolts are 10mm. The bolts the GB Racing covers use are 8mm. Have those sockets ready :thumbup

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,432 Posts
Hi Friend!
What size is the rear aftermarket rotor please.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts