Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Okay, I'm a dummy.

Could somebody maybe post some pictures of connectors, etc., how to apply the dielectric grease, etc., so I know what we're talking about?

Thanks.

Mark

P.S. Do you mean connectors including, for instance, that massive hiring harness that goes to the ECU?

·
Still love Yami's the most
1,147 Posts
I like to use this liquid tape over my crimped connections. That stuff is great and allways use the dielectric grease.

·
Registered
257 Posts
martinc said:
BTW,apply the dielectric grease in the female plugs with your fingers :)
ok here comes my stupid question..
Won't the dielectric grease between male and female plugs make a condom action? I mean the little electron guys trying harder to pass through :(

P.S. Martinc a photo of your connectors would be great. I really would like to check out the "bostik(hot glue)" job too :bow

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The dielectric grease is meant for electronic connectors...the cool thing (pun intended!) about it,is that it keeps things cool,prevents corrosion and doesnt influence the current at all...you"ll know how good it is as soon as you"ll found out about the price of a puny tube of the stuff...more expensive then KY :)

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A_Fire_Inside said:
could someone post a walkthrough of this please? which connections need greasin?
-All the connectors at the front of the bike:in order to do a good job,you may need to remove the fairings,but just putting some in the plugs underneath the little panels under the clipons is 99% of the job.

-The rectifier/regulator plug:its the finned metal boc (about 4x3) situated in front of the battery tray

-Ignition plug:need removal of the tank

In fact,I"d do all the plugs throughout the bike.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Guys,

The service manual makes reference to Lithium Soap Based Grease. Is this the same thing as this Silicone Dielectric Grease?

I went to the local auto supply store, and they have no CLUE as to the difference b/w Lithium Grease, Lithium Soap Based Grease, Dielectric Grease, Silicone Grease, Silicone Dielectric Grease, Vaseoline, and any other type of grease you can think of.

Hence, would someone care to enlighten me? It is apparent that I should "grease" my connectors (plugs and female receptacles) with this Silicone Dielectric Grease that everone is talking about.

Now, what about what the manul is talking about, this "Lithium Soap Based Grease".??

·
Registered
591 Posts
I saw some if that lithium soap based grease at Coast Cycles in Ventura. No doubt many dealers have it. I mention it because it was a Hondaline product and was clearly labeled LITHIUM SOAP BASED GREASE.

I wish I had gotten some.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mark618 said:
I saw some if that lithium soap based grease at Coast Cycles in Ventura. No doubt many dealers have it. I mention it because it was a Hondaline product and was clearly labeled LITHIUM SOAP BASED GREASE.

I wish I had gotten some.
No, do not use lithium soap grease on your electrical connections.

For electrical connections, use only "dielectric grease" or "silicone dielectric grease".

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mark618 said:
I understand, Clint. I wanted the Lithium soap based grease for my bearings.

Thanks.
Ah, ok, but I would look into something of a bit higher quality for your bearings...especially if it's the wheel and suspension pivot bearings. I like Silkolene Pro RG (something or other). It's red and in a tub.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mark618 said:
Thanks. I'll make a note.

I wanted it for steering head bearings.
Great for those as well, just clean them and relubricate with the new. I'm not overly fond of lithium since it'll start caking and turns, well, funky after a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is a good thread..as asked remove the connectors and apply a small amout to the the area that will be connected back.. Not to much or make it hard to get the connector back together. This is most inportant on the voltage regulator connector. If you have ever had this melt it was due to a high resitance point..aka the connecton was very poor and over heat..aka melt down. The reg is in a area where water can get it so be carefull. It is also at Honda dealers or most auto parts stores and have seen in Raido shack as well..Chris

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
21 - 40 of 116 Posts