Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
2,191 Posts
Dallas, Googled it already - no-one in the UK so far, but if needed I'll order from the US. Have sent 3M an email..

·
I'm slow,but i may not be last
132 Posts
are Dielectric grease easily to be found?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I love No-Oxide A special, it's the best stuff I've used ever and I work in a potash mine with a water inflow (salt, water, and heat makes alot of corrosion). I melt it down into a liquid and dip any electrical connectors into it, the liquid works its way up wires where water would have made it eventually. Here's a link for the stuff. http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
I love No-Oxide A special, it's the best stuff I've used ever and I work in a potash mine with a water inflow (salt, water, and heat makes alot of corrosion). I melt it down into a liquid and dip any electrical connectors into it, the liquid works its way up wires where water would have made it eventually. Here's a link for the stuff. http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html
where do you buy this from? apart from ringing the phone number on the link you posted?....and is it 'better' than common dilectric grease? why?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The product information is in thier web site, I've used the dielectric grease in the tubes and it works ok, but No Oxide Special A just works better. Just the fact that you can melt it down like wax and pour it into your coupler or dip the coupler (although thats messy) letting it flow into the wires is better than the regular di-electric grease itself. I've dipped headlight connections in it on equipment thats came in new and they're still on after 3 years, before they would be rotten in a few months.

We have our suppliers bring it in at work, Phone the number and ask them who supplies it down under.

·
My R1 eats my wallet
113 Posts

·
2,191 Posts
Would this stuff be any better?
http://www.eescodirect.com/direct/Products/ProductListDetail.aspx?pik=51791&productId=51791

It is used for protecting breaker box connections and connections made with Aluminum wires. I already own a bottle of this and it seems like it would be okay, but figured I would use the massive real-world knowledge database here just to be safe.

Thanks
Depends on the constancy I would think, grease can be packed in and stays put.. Can't tell from the spec in the link..
The stuff I used comes in a tube, and is quite thick.. bit like vaseline

Click back a page or so... lot's of links..

·
My R1 eats my wallet
113 Posts
The consistency is similar to never seize (gooey) temperature range is -30
to +500.

Label says: Fine metallic zinc particulate suspended in a high temperature grease which prevents seizing, galling and oxidation reduces electrical resistance.

·
2,191 Posts
Checkout the 1st page of posts Sam Farris seems to be the expert.. (an Electronic Technician)

Dunno why I waffled on about consistency - although that may be important for it to work, it's what's in it to deflect water and corrosion that's important I guess :D

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
When I got one of Sam Farris' Servo Subs I could'nt help notice the quality of the assembly. Even the quick connectors had some kind of grease in the wire holes (which Ive just found out is Dielectric grease). I put a dab of the grease on the prongs of my multi meter and found it isnt conductive so it doesnt matter if you get it everywhere, it wont short. I ended up soldering the Sub in but have kept the quick connectors for another job.
Good to have perfectionists in the industry.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
When I got one of Sam Farris' Servo Subs I could'nt help notice the quality of the assembly. Even the quick connectors had some kind of grease in the wire holes (which Ive just found out is Dielectric grease). I put a dab of the grease on the prongs of my multi meter and found it isnt conductive so it doesnt matter if you get it everywhere, it wont short. I ended up soldering the Sub in but have kept the quick connectors for another job.
Good to have perfectionists in the industry.

yep, sam is one of the smartest guys around.:fact
oh and bro....clean ya fingernails!:lol:lol

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
clean ya fingernails!:lol:lol
LOL Dude...Im a mechanic :finger :)

Damn... my first post here and I get flamed.
this is going to be fun

·
I wreck my R1
6,172 Posts
I use McMaster-Carr for all of my consumables. Picked up this tube of di-electric compound a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#1204k12/=nd3qo

Also If you're concerned about fast delivery, I ordered around noon on a monday and my entire order was on my step before noon on tuesday. Crazy fast. They usually deal with commercial accounts and know their customers don't want to put up with any bs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just got a tube of Global RP12 Dielectric Silicon Grease.

"Global RP12 is an extremely versatile silicon compound. It has high dielectric strength and provides a moisture barrier for corrosion protection. Resistant to oxidation, thermal degradation and a broad range of chemicals. Temperature range -40 degree C to +200 degree C"

Will get right down to greasing up my 01 in a while.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
Just got a tube of Global RP12 Dielectric Silicon Grease.

"Global RP12 is an extremely versatile silicon compound. It has high dielectric strength and provides a moisture barrier for corrosion protection. Resistant to oxidation, thermal degradation and a broad range of chemicals. Temperature range -40 degree C to +200 degree C"

Will get right down to greasing up my 01 in a while.
dielectric grease rules!:thumbup

81 - 100 of 116 Posts
About this Discussion
115 Replies
46 Participants
ebags
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing