Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
All I can say is "WOW!"

Took 5 hours to grease all the connectors up, using a syringe. The extra 1 hour was to fix that fender eliminator signal lights! Left side lighted up, the right side refused. Fixed the right, and the left didn't light up. Connections.. Connections!

Now, my 01 idles stable at 1k. Previously it was fluctuating between 1k to 1.5. Now the needle stays at 1! And the response is much better, I must honestly say. Dumped a lot of the stuff in the 4 spark plug boots.

Oh! And the fuel pump, which primes very weakly previously and caused problems starting the bike up, is running like a champ now! "Trak tak tak tak tak tak" never sounded so much better!

blur1, or anyone with knowledge. I have a small problem now. My tail-lights do not light up unless I step on the brakes. It's supposed to stay on. Also, my digital speedo light isn't on too. Any idea? Did I forget to put back a connector or something?

If anyone's still looking for the dielectric grease, I could ship one to you. It costs about US$12 per tube. Shipping's from Singapore, though. PM.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
All I can say is "WOW!"

Took 5 hours to grease all the connectors up, using a syringe. The extra 1 hour was to fix that fender eliminator signal lights! Left side lighted up, the right side refused. Fixed the right, and the left didn't light up. Connections.. Connections!

Now, my 01 idles stable at 1k. Previously it was fluctuating between 1k to 1.5. Now the needle stays at 1! And the response is much better, I must honestly say. Dumped a lot of the stuff in the 4 spark plug boots.

Oh! And the fuel pump, which primes very weakly previously and caused problems starting the bike up, is running like a champ now! "Trak tak tak tak tak tak" never sounded so much better!

blur1, or anyone with knowledge. I have a small problem now. My tail-lights do not light up unless I step on the brakes. It's supposed to stay on. Also, my digital speedo light isn't on too. Any idea? Did I forget to put back a connector or something?

If anyone's still looking for the dielectric grease, I could ship one to you. It costs about US$12 per tube. Shipping's from Singapore, though. PM.
yep the stuff is amazing. everyone should use it.
as for your 2 probs. the tail-light could be globes, check both filaments.
and the speedo light is probably also a globe. there is 2 push in globes inside if you open the speedo. ( well there is 2 in my 98-99).:thumbup

·
Registered
142 Posts
But.. Thing is blur1, I changed the bulbs while everything was dismantled. It lit up for a while, then while testing the blinkers, it refused to light up one time and that was it. The speedo lights also followed suit. I checked the fuses, but there's none for tail-lights. I saw:

Headlight
Signals
Starter
Ignition

Anymore ideas?

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
Ive had this recurring problem in my Ford Falcon. Being a cheap ass POS the brake light circuit has no relay and the switch keeps welding its contacts up and causing the brake lights to stay on. Ive tried LED globes (stop tail) to reduce the amps but that messes with the cruise control. So I just pulled the switch which isnt a ford one any more its a 240v proximity switch which I though would handle the amps but no. Anyway I doused the contacts inside the switch with........Dielectric Grease. It isnt to thick to stop the contact (over center) from flipping back and forth and being totally non conductor it doesnt cause the lights to come on. Anyway the theory is the grease will muffle the sparks and stop the carbonising and welding.
See how it goes.

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
worked for a while then stopped. Didnt weld but wouldnt close circuit. Removed most of the grease and wait for it to weld up again.
back to the drawing board

·
ATGATT my friends
119 Posts
High current on a low voltage DC system = poor ground beyond the switch. This would add resistance in addition to the circuit powered. The extra resistance would be "felt/seen" at your switch. I'd guess the prox switch only made the problem worse as the main circuit had to bear the additional strains of the prox.
I know this WAYYY off subject/timeline. But did you make any headway? Also, a plug for the thread I love the stuff! I use it @ work...electrical power gen mech and of course my beloved R1. Sorry to resurrect, but I couldn't help my self!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I had issues with the headlights flickering off randomly - couldnt find anything wrong. Cracked open my connectors, found some had started to show signs of corrosion - and packed them full of dielectric grease, and the problem is solved! I dont have 100% of my connectors done, yet, but did probably 15 of them yesterday... and my problem went away. The bike also starts easier! Gooood stuff.

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
Nice thread Martin, good read :thumbup

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
Wow that is impressive! I intend to get to every connecter :fact just ordered a nice big tube or dielectric grease :)

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
so i used the dielectric grease on all my connectors
and when i finished i got this
the bike was working fine prior to greasing the connectors
i also get a HI where the temperature usually shows
then you disturbed something in the process or didn't plug a connector back in properly!:fact

i've also done every single plug/connector and even inside the sparkplug boots on mine and haven't had one electrical problem in the same time frame as martinc.

·
STFU and ride!!
5,114 Posts
then you disturbed something in the process or didn't plug a connector back in properly!:fact

i've also done every single plug/connector and even inside the sparkplug boots on mine and haven't had one electrical problem in the same time frame as martinc.

am sure i did
i have to go back and double check it all
then if it all fails again, i'll remove the stuff with contact cleaner
i hate it when shit back fires :crash

·
STFU and ride!!
5,114 Posts
ok
i finally had time to look at the bike
i was going to start on it but we were starving so i told my bud to start looking at it while
i went to pick up the meat and schtuff
by the time i was paying he texts me and says. it'll be $300 bucks, the beast is ready
when i got home he showed me what i facked up.
it was the four prong connector that is by the right head lamp
it had fallen into the bodywork and i never seen it.
boy i felt stupid
but any way i fed the fool :lol
thanks a lot nine76chris

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
Since reading this I've jumped on the dielectric grease band wagon like crazy and have been an advocate for it around here many times too.

I'll be stripping my new to me bike asap and going nuts as I have done with the R1. :fact

101 - 116 of 116 Posts
About this Discussion
115 Replies
46 Participants
ebags
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing