Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
As I was prepping the bike for the track, I noticed an intermittent parasitic draw issue where sometimes the battery would drain below 10v. A couple conversations with Braydon at Speedcell, and I was sent a 5.0Ah SBK Battery with a custom harness for quick disconnect

Mounted on the bike

Building a superbike motor is quickly becoming something that sounded totally cool in the beginning without realizing the amount of effort I need to put in outside of actually building the motor itself 😂

Once I was debriefed from Jozef on the condition on my engine, the decision of a complete refresh was inevitable. That being said, the build price is what it is, but 'there is always the option of improving the engine performance while being serviced; by way of porting the cylinder head, increased compression via head gasket, different degrees of timing, boring, and other methods.

As I was working with Freddy at @superbikeunlimited for the majority of my hard parts, he mentioned having a couple sets of YEC billet cams with billet sprockets for sale. When I gave him a call, I brought up the cams and told him the plan to go superbike, and that’s when the game changed...

Superbike Unlimited was able to source a cylinder head. Not just any cylinder head, but a FACTORY Yamaha cylinder head, from a MotoAmerica bike 🏁 The ported, epoxied, high output beast that screamed down big hp tracks like COTA and RA.

Freddy was able to put together the whole superbike engine package for me

• Factory Yamaha Cylinder Head
  • YEC Billet Intake + Exhaust Cams + Sprockets
  • YEC Valve Springs
  • YEC Velocity Stacks
  • Oversize Radiator and Oil Cooler (currently at Attack)
Supply drop from Superbike Unlimited

YEC Billet Cams (Gen III) and Sprockets

YEC Velocity Stacks

The radiator was originally sourced to Westby Racing from Attack Performance, so when Freddy sourced the radiator from Westby, they sent it back to Attack along with some other radiators. Attack does some pretty cool things when it comes to engine assembly and packaging, so there are a lot of things I'm perfectly fine with them taking the lead on prep.

Attack Performance "Plug & Play" Superbike Engine Package (📷 cred. IG @JRShof)

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nothing with the crank?
Nope. Doing absolutely nothing to the crankshaft or lower crankcase. Had some pretty good talks with Attack, SBU, as well as other well respected Yamaha race teams. I'm not concerned about a crankshaft failure at all. EDR makes a stud bolt kit for the R1/R1M, which I may consider, but you can't swap the 2015 crank with a newer one.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ordering up parts for the build, one major component that is hard to overlook is an aftermarket slipper clutch. Suter has been the goto for Attack, so instead of throwing a fresh clutch kit in an OEM setup, Suter is going in...

Soaking fresh frictions in 300v preparing for install...

Superbike Unlimited also supplied a Titanium Engine Bolt Kit from Pro-Bolt USA

Before heading out to Buttonwillow to get more seat time, an MWR Air Filter arrived, so I installed it along with the YEC Velocity Stacks just to see if there is any improvement in performance

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well done iGoldeneye!

Its so inspiring to see someone go all in with their builds and share it with a community like this. I really respect that. I have been building and and tracking cars for a while now so I know the commitment and investment involved.

Thanks for taking your time with your posts and images.

Do you feel like you can dial the bike in more? How does the bike compare to stock? And time comparisons?

·
performance first
2,947 Posts
Did the motoholders carbon fiber intake work with stock body work. ?

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did the motoholders carbon fiber intake work with stock body work. ?
Yes it does, just a bit of finesse to get it all together, but yes, it fits. I've since switched over to an oversized radiator and race bodywork full-time, but I believe I have pics of the intake with the R1M OEM bodywork (which I am currently looking to sell lol)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts