Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Before dropping the bike off at Attack, I acquired as many OEM parts I could ahead of time to reduce some of the cost associated with the build. This included a brand new crankshaft, pistons, pins & rings, Pro-Bolt titanium engine cover bolts (reusable instead of aluminum one-time use) and internal bolts, timing chain, OEM tensioner, gaskets, seals, etc.

Fresh Crankshaft

I also acquired the latest generation full Ti exhaust from Graves 🔥

Since Superlite is down the street from Attack, I was able to acquire a fresh chain and sprocket kit. I also added an Attack kickstand adapter that replaces the bulky OEM unit for the R1 as well

Dropped her off for the build...

Upon getting the engine out and initial tear down, my input and output shafts were in excellent shape. Upon full inspection of the transmission, all three shift forks have wear and need to be replaced. Jozef continued the tear down of the engine and meticulous cleaning and inspection of the internal components:

• Water Pump Assembly needs replacement as the weap hole was leaking
  • Oil Pump Assembly also needs replacement
Small end on rods have galling after 23k miles of abusive riding 😂

Rods obviously need replacement. What I didn't plan for was the need for new titanium valves. Luckily Attack had some available for my consumption or I would have extended the wait time for Yamaha to send some over. Crankcases were good, so everything was in order to continue the build, starting with the bottom end...

Cases prepped...

Bottom end components ready

Assembly in progress...

Fresh pistons, rods, pins, rings, bolts, and bearings

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Cont...

Bottom end of engine completed

On to the SBK head from Superbike Unlimited (from Westby, let's just call it the Westby head)

💎 **What's the difference between an OEM head and a Factory Superbike head?" Answer: Vance & Hines porting and epoxy job. Finished off with a Vance & Hines valve job (then add YEC/GYTR Cams and Billet Sprockets, YEC Springs, and a custom headgasket for a good squish)

The valves inside the Westby head were shot as well. According to Attack, the valve job was barely sealing the valves to the seats. They also noted the seats in this head were not OEM, and Richard nor Jozef were fans of them. They also noted the bucket retainers (spring buckets) were milled down inside, which gave the impression that the YEC Springs were 10% down on pressure when Richard measured them. New shims needed to be ordered to compensate.

Given this state, seats needed to be recut and new valves need to be lapped. Jozef spent a good amount of hours performing this additional service, so hats off to him for pulling it off in a decent amount of time.

Westby head on the SERDI

Fresh cut 😎

Also,

While at Attack, my rear shock was LONG overdue for servicing, as you need a special tool from Ohlins to remove the EC valve from the R1M Ohlins electronic shock...

Shock was low on nitrogen and dirty oil... All refreshed now 😎

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
With the Westby head in decent condition, it was finally time for assembly...

Valve Prep

Valves and YEC KIT Springs installed

YEC Cams & Sprockets Installed

A closeup of the Vance & Hines porting and epoxy job

Custom Head Gasket for Factory SBK (Do not ask, as this is intellectual property 🤫)

Timing and Cam Degree

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Factory Superbike Engine Completed!

With the engine completed, Attack stripped the bike down to the frame and gave it a deep cleaning, which was much needed after five years of shenanigans. The process of reassembly is straight forward but very necessary, as Jozef and the team were able to find smaller issues in other areas of the bike that needed to be addressed; such as missing bolts, missing/wrong fuses, some electrical wiring needing to be heat shrinked after years of wear/tear, bearings that need to be replaced, etc.

Engine back in...

There are a ton of details that went into the engine build that only Attack can offer due to their expertise and experience in building factory Yamaha superbikes. For example, I setup the Suter clutch with general settings per spec to the manual, however Attack has some proprietary settings that made the clutch smoother, lighter, and more efficient. Attack also upgraded the oil pickup to the 2020 version as it is more efficient in keeping the oil in the sump. Attack also swapped the gaskets I procured to reusable ones (e.g. clutch cover) so I'm not required to replace the gasket every time I decide to measure the clutch pack on race weekends. 2020 engines now come with steel oil pan bolts instead of aluminum, so those were swapped out as well.

The electronics have changed as well. With the added horsepower to the engine, the torque curves requires flattening to make the bike more ridable. Attack has made some significant proprietary changes to the settings in the FTECU race package software. ETV, Engine braking, torque flattening, etc. Lots of changes from the stock engine setup.

The Dyno chart is unreal. I am now WELL over 200HP 🔥🔥🔥

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
My build was literally the last build before Attack had to fully dedicate to building race bikes for the upcoming MotoAmerica season, starting with COTA testing. If not for that, Jozef and the team would have fully resolved some underlying issues that I needed to address outside of the engine build:

• Heat shrink worn battery cabling
  • Replace fuses
  • Trim bodywork to ensure no fiberglass is touching the radiator
  • Trim throttle tube to give .5 mm space between tube and lever guard
  • Replace missing bolt on rear speed sensor
  • Mount lower bracket to radiator (The one that came with the radiator doesn't clear the huge downpipes from the latest Graves exhaust)
  • Replace steering head bearings and seals
These were minor jobs, minus the steering head bearings. I basically had to remove the front end to get to them, then reassemble, which sucks because it's very time consuming. I also had to fab a make-shift bracket for the lower radiator to get the bike ridable. My temp solution was 'ok' for one track day, but I've since reached out to Nick to fab up something legit (and cool looking).

To be updated shortly with images

·
MoxBilt Racing Australia
93 Posts
Your original R1M build was what convinced me to buy the M and the parts I fitted in the first place. I have no business being in this thread but man, what a build.

Reactions: iGoldeneye

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Your original R1M build was what convinced me to buy the M and the parts I fitted in the first place. I have no business being in this thread but man, what a build.
Thank you for the kind words sir!

After riding the new superbike for a couple of trackdays, I must say the added horsepower and torque is AMAZING! The bike is louder, and the cams really gives the engine an uneven idle. The throttle response is crisp and accurate, and sometimes scary as the bike just wants to lift the front wheel and dares you to go WOT. She revs FAST, and before you know it, you're at the rev limit at need to shift. The upgraded braking was a must as this bike carries so much more speed I need the added stopping power to brake late without running off the track.

It's not even fair how I can walk bikes down on the straights with this machine 😉 But in all seriousness, the added power did expose some major issues with my suspension and geometry. First, it was a struggle to turn the bike. Fresh bearings, an offset setup change, and a change in the fork height helped significantly, but the bike is still very tall and stiff. I'm currently running 10.0 spring rates, but I'm going to remove the forks and shock and have the springs replaced with 9.5 spring rates. With the race season fast approaching, I need to feel as confident as possible and the bike to feel as planted as possible to push the bike like I want to. I've spun a ton of laps trying to get closer to the bike, but now it's time to bring the bike closer to me as well. I'm used to the 200+ HP power this girl is putting out and I've adjusted the electronics to comfortable settings, so hopefully with the suspension changes I can finally put it all together and take advantage of the new capabilities. Changing the oil every two trackdays and running U4.4 100% of the time isn't fun, but the superbike experience is totally worth it 😂 I also have to keep a close eye on the temps when coming off the track. There are no fans, so when I pit I need to immediately put a fan on the radiator and occasionally blip the starter to ensure the coolant is flowing and cooling the bike.

·
Registered
2019 Yamha R1, 2020 KTM 790 ADV R, 1992 Honda CR250R, 2008 Kawasaki KX450F
45 Posts
Was there any wear on the stock camshaft counter weight from side to side movement?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Changing the oil every two trackdays and running U4.4 100% of the time isn't fun, but the superbike experience is totally worth it 😂 I also have to keep a close eye on the temps when coming off the track. There are no fans, so when I pit I need to immediately put a fan on the radiator and occasionally blip the starter to ensure the coolant is flowing and cooling the bike.
I do all this and my engine is stock!! :ROFLMAO: Fans won't stay on if you turn the ignition off on the R1 which is a bit of a dumb idea IMO... my ZX6R never had that problem. I also lowered to 90ºC the temp where the fans are supposed to kick in.

On top of that I have to plug the bike on the battery charger after every session cause the race generator can be a bit of a [email protected]%HY sometimes. All in the name of fun, right ;)

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Was there any wear on the stock camshaft counter weight from side to side movement?
My engine was in really good shape for 22K+ track miles. None of the damage that was noted from some other 2015 engines. Just had some water pump wear, bent shift forks, and other normal wear. There was some galling on the top of the rods where the piston head attaches, but that was it.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
UPDATES:

2022 is here, and as with every year, I try to improve the bike by bringing it closer to me, as I try to get closer to the bike's potential.

I took advantage of the @SuperbikeUnlimited Black Friday sale, and was able to score some pretty good dash and data upgrades...

I2M Pro 2 Dash and accessories
Hood Automotive design Gas Engineering Automotive tire

Fork Potentiometer Collars
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Rectangle Yellow Amber Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory

Gadget Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Electronic device

Brake Pressure Sensor and Potentiometers for Fork (150mm) and Shock (75mm)
Hood Motor vehicle Gas Walking shoe Automotive tire

All the dash integration cabling
Gadget Audio equipment Electrical wiring Cable Gas

Looks like it's going to be a fun project...
Automotive tire Floor Bumper Gas Flooring

Shoutout to @iammattyrich and @yubiracing for letting me know what to buy so I don't waste a bunch of time figuring things out 😂 I'm still waiting on the dash mount to arrive, but it should be here hopefully next week 🤞🏾

• I2M Dash
  • Tire Pressure Sensors (Included with dash)
  • GPS Antenna (Included with dash)
  • R1 Dash Plug & Play Kit
  • Sensor Wiring Harness (Plug & Play kit to connect all sensors)
  • Brake Pressure Sensor
  • 150mm Potentiometer (for fork)
  • 75mm Potentiometer (for shock)
  • Potentiometer Collars (for fork)
  • R1 Mounting Kit (on the way)

The focus for 2022 is the same as every year- Becoming a better rider. Now that I'm tracking this bike consistently, having data to analyze and see where I can improve (and where the bike can improve as well) will get me closer to my goals, or just tell me how much I suck 🥴

·
Registered
44 Posts

First of all, CONGRATS! It's a great bit of kit... I should know as I have exactly the same one 😁

Now that's out of the way, here comes the not so good news... BE VERY FREAKING CAREFUL fitting that WIFI antenna. It's seriously flimsy. Not sure if you got the Mellotti Case for the dash which makes things a bit trickier again but either way, use almost no force when screwing that on. I tried to be careful with mine and still broke it. I can still get a signal but my laptop needs to be RIGHT next to the dash.

Bad news part-2: It's easy to use but very very hard to use it to its full potential. The Danas software is incredibly user unfriendly. Also, there are things that I just can't understand... i.e. why not have an option to display the tire pressures in PSI??

But you'll get there. All in all, I don't regret buying it. It's freaking cool looking and gives you way more important data than the CCU ever could!

·
Registered
157 Posts
UPDATES:

2022 is here, and as with every year, I try to improve the bike by bringing it closer to me, as I try to get closer to the bike's potential.

I took advantage of the @SuperbikeUnlimited Black Friday sale, and was able to score some pretty good dash and data upgrades...

I2M Pro 2 Dash and accessories
View attachment 1022534

Fork Potentiometer Collars
View attachment 1022533 View attachment 1022532

View attachment 1022529

Brake Pressure Sensor and Potentiometers for Fork (150mm) and Shock (75mm)
View attachment 1022530

All the dash integration cabling
View attachment 1022528

Looks like it's going to be a fun project...
View attachment 1022531

Shoutout to @iammattyrich and @yubiracing for letting me know what to buy so I don't waste a bunch of time figuring things out 😂 I'm still waiting on the dash mount to arrive, but it should be here hopefully next week 🤞🏾

• I2M Dash
  • Tire Pressure Sensors (Included with dash)
  • GPS Antenna (Included with dash)
  • R1 Dash Plug & Play Kit
  • Sensor Wiring Harness (Plug & Play kit to connect all sensors)
  • Brake Pressure Sensor
  • 150mm Potentiometer (for fork)
  • 75mm Potentiometer (for shock)
  • Potentiometer Collars (for fork)
  • R1 Mounting Kit (on the way)

The focus for 2022 is the same as every year- Becoming a better rider. Now that I'm tracking this bike consistently, having data to analyze and see where I can improve (and where the bike can improve as well) will get me closer to my goals, or just tell me how much I suck 🥴
Thank you for taking the time to share this superbike build.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
First of all, CONGRATS! It's a great bit of kit... I should know as I have exactly the same one 😁

Now that's out of the way, here comes the not so good news... BE VERY FREAKING CAREFUL fitting that WIFI antenna. It's seriously flimsy. Not sure if you got the Mellotti Case for the dash which makes things a bit trickier again but either way, use almost no force when screwing that on. I tried to be careful with mine and still broke it. I can still get a signal but my laptop needs to be RIGHT next to the dash.

Bad news part-2: It's easy to use but very very hard to use it to its full potential. The Danas software is incredibly user unfriendly. Also, there are things that I just can't understand... i.e. why not have an option to display the tire pressures in PSI??

But you'll get there. All in all, I don't regret buying it. It's freaking cool looking and gives you way more important data than the CCU ever could!
Thanks for the tip on the dash antenna! I've already installed the antenna to the dash and was pretty careful during the install. I have a protective case for the dash coming soon. Depending on the track/situation, I may end up using a USB to transfer the data to my laptop anyway 🥴

I've been playing around with the Dana software for about a month now with the sample file (along with watching a friend at the track use it after each session to view his data) so I think I'm pretty familiar with how to navigate the software. It would be nice to see tire pressures and brake pressures in PSI instead of BAR, but I guess it makes sense if we want to compare data with others around the globe...

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thank you for taking the time to share this superbike build.
I definitely appreciate the kind words! I try to take time to document as much as possible of this journey 😎

I've noticed recently that I've been moving the bike in a direction that pretty much takes the M out of the R1M... Aluminum tank is completely covered with the tank shroud, OEM carbon bodywork replaced with race fairings, now the Ohlins ERS suspension being the latest of the components that I'm just not getting along with since going the superbike route.

So... These things are COMPLETELY sold out in the US. Trust me I tried to source one as they are on backorder until April. I lucked up by reaching out to a seller in Italy, and 3 days later...

Ohlins YA 468 Shock 😎

Shoe Automotive tire Black Automotive lighting Road surface

Automotive design Rectangle Material property Font Flooring

Wood Sleeve Automotive lighting Coil spring Cable

With that being said... I started a quick little project to start prepping this bad boy for install...

75mm Potentiometer Install...

Amber Gas Coil Electrical wiring Suspension

Installed...

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Amber Rolling Coil spring

Automotive lighting Amber Circuit component Coil spring Passive circuit component

I still need to adjust the shock to the correct length for my setup (or what I think it should be 🥴) as well as setup the preload, compression and rebound settings I have documented depending on the track I'm riding. The fun part will be figuring out how many turns on comp and rebound vs. the R1M rear shock settings ( @yubiracing help! 😂)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a protective case for the dash coming soon. Depending on the track/situation, I may end up using a USB to transfer the data to my laptop anyway 🥴
Well, the USB port on mine worked a total of TWO times and now it just won't recognize there's a memory stick in it anymore. Like I said, it's not all roses with these haha Hope I just got a bad apple and you have better luck!

Also, good to hear you have a case coming. I 'tested' mine on Friday and happy to report it saved the dash from a 220+kph crash.

I've been playing around with the Dana software for about a month now with the sample file (along with watching a friend at the track use it after each session to view his data) so I think I'm pretty familiar with how to navigate the software. It would be nice to see tire pressures and brake pressures in PSI instead of BAR, but I guess it makes sense if we want to compare data with others around the globe...
I'm at a point where I would pretty much pay for lessons on Dana :ROFLMAO:

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well, the USB port on mine worked a total of TWO times and now it just won't recognize there's a memory stick in it anymore. Like I said, it's not all roses with these haha Hope I just got a bad apple and you have better luck!

Also, good to hear you have a case coming. I 'tested' mine on Friday and happy to report it saved the dash from a 220+kph crash.

I'm at a point where I would pretty much pay for lessons on Dana :ROFLMAO:
Which dash protector did you get? I want whichever one you have 😂

41 - 60 of 114 Posts