Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
What length on the shock are you going?
I believe it's 370mm eye to eye... But this may change 🥴

I'm currently milling out my swingarm to give myself a longer wheelbase to work with...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

After some careful measurements and dremel action...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Now to do the other side and add these guys to the FastFrank Quick Change setup...

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font Packing materials

Hopefully I see some improvement with corner exit 🧐 I really need to invest in one of those suspension/geometry apps like ZeroChassis, MotoSpec, or SuspAct to really see where I'm at and where I need to go with this setup 🤔 I know way too much about rake, trail, offset, etc. to not have my head around this. I should be able to punch some numbers in one of these apps and it tell me what range I need to be in...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Which dash protector did you get? I want whichever one you have 😂
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I have the Mellotti case!

In all fairness, that thing will probably stop a bullet and I got very lucky with the crash... not much damage at all on the bike, especially considering the speed and where it happened. Fortunately she didn't flip! And neither did I which was also really good as it means I never even touched my helmet. Thank God for airbag suits!

The screen on the case looks a bit too reflective on camera but it's really not like that on the bike. I got the silver/raw finish one cause that's what they had in stock and that does reflect back onto the bike's screen so maybe get a black one if decide to go that way.

Where I crashed is the first corner after the straight. I was getting a bit of brake fade and when I touched the brakes there, I had nothing so I released the lever and tried again harder except this time it gave me EVERYTHING. Long story short, 17bar of brake pressure is way more than I wanted and she disappeared from under me:cry:

[VIDEO]

Ps: Never mind the settings on the dash, bike is flashed with Woolich so SCS/TCS/PWR are all running YEC customised settings which are nothing like the stock settings.

·
Venom X/O
26,240 Posts
370mm eye to eye… May change later 🥴

I’m actually milling out my swingarm more to

I believe it's 370mm eye to eye... But this may change 🥴

I'm currently milling out my swingarm to give myself a longer wheelbase to work with...

View attachment 1022559

After some careful measurements and dremel action...

View attachment 1022560

Now to do the other side and add these guys to the FastFrank Quick Change setup...

View attachment 1022561

Hopefully I see some improvement with corner exit 🧐 I really need to invest in one of those suspension/geometry apps like ZeroChassis, MotoSpec, or SuspAct to really see where I'm at and where I need to go with this setup 🤔 I know way too much about rake, trail, offset, etc. to not have my head around this. I should be able to punch some numbers in one of these apps and it tell me what range I need to be in...
Ohlins has the numbers. Is that where you got your number? I’m working with my shop to get mine right, I have an issue with corner exit on decreasing radius corners, can’t seem to get the drive out. Was thinking maybe it’s my ride height or too much squat. I may be slightly undersprung. Got some work to do on my end.

I was hoping maybe you got your numbers from Ohlins or something as a base to tune from. When I work the MA paddock for Jonathan Ohlins will give us track specific numbers to work with but he’s on an R6 so..:

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Ohlins has the numbers. Is that where you got your number? I’m working with my shop to get mine right, I have an issue with corner exit on decreasing radius corners, can’t seem to get the drive out. Was thinking maybe it’s my ride height or too much squat. I may be slightly undersprung. Got some work to do on my end.

I was hoping maybe you got your numbers from Ohlins or something as a base to tune from. When I work the MA paddock for Jonathan Ohlins will give us track specific numbers to work with but he’s on an R6 so..:
I got some numbers from a couple of race teams and local club racers with similar setups. Most teams use apps like MotoSpec or SuspAct to get setup numbers and a range, then tune the setup based on rider feedback. I'm actually going to have a pro (well, former pro but still riding at a high-level) racer ride my bike for a session or two and let me know what they think it needs...

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I have the Mellotti case!

In all fairness, that thing will probably stop a bullet and I got very lucky with the crash... not much damage at all on the bike, especially considering the speed and where it happened. Fortunately she didn't flip! And neither did I which was also really good as it means I never even touched my helmet. Thank God for airbag suits!

The screen on the case looks a bit too reflective on camera but it's really not like that on the bike. I got the silver/raw finish one cause that's what they had in stock and that does reflect back onto the bike's screen so maybe get a black one if decide to go that way.

Where I crashed is the first corner after the straight. I was getting a bit of brake fade and when I touched the brakes there, I had nothing so I released the lever and tried again harder except this time it gave me EVERYTHING. Long story short, 17bar of brake pressure is way more than I wanted and she disappeared from under me:cry:

Ps: Never mind the settings on the dash, bike is flashed with Woolich so SCS/TCS/PWR are all running YEC customised settings which are nothing like the stock settings.
Fancy riding bud! 😎 Glad you are ok from the get off too... I'll definitely look into the black case as it looks pretty sweet 💯 They offer night/evening track days? Now THAT is something we need here 😂

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fancy riding bud! 😎 Glad you are ok from the get off too... I'll definitely look into the black case as it looks pretty sweet 💯
If by fancy you mean slow then absolutely :LOL:

They offer night/evening track days? Now THAT is something we need here 😂

Yeah we get a 'Summer Series' and a couple of night track days every year. The Summer Series is a pretty sweet gig, short races of 6 laps and only 3 classes. 1000s Division 1 and Division 2, and 600s. Incredibly fast turnaround which means you don't get much rest between races. It's all done between 6pm-10:30pm, qualy and all!

Not as much fun when it rains though hahaha you pretty much have to relearn the track as you lose just about all your reference points.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
So I placed an order with Graves for something I've been meaning to do for a long time, and it actually required me to drive to Graves Motorsports headquarters (or wait for UPS for like a week 😂) I realized I had never been to the shop in-person, so it was an interesting experience...

Plant Window Road surface Asphalt Residential area

No one answered the front door so I went to the back for pickups and deliveries...

Sky Cloud Building Road surface Beige

Ahh, I've seen this truck a few times at various MotoAmerica events running the SuperSport class...

Wheel Cloud Sky Tire Car

Inside the Graves facility, is a race shop in the front, and a full blown factory in the back manufacturing some of our favorite aftermarket parts...

Idiophone Table Gas Chair Cooking

Jeans Wood Textile Automotive design Engineering

Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Bumper Machine

Floor Engineering Flooring Gas Machine

Had a chance to watch the guys work and the craftsmanship and quality of these products is not by chance. These guys take pride in what they produce.

On to the race shop side...

Interior design Automotive design Eyewear Rectangle Shelving

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
After a quick chat with Rick, I was able to pick up what I came for. After securing the package, I sped home and opened the box to check out the goods...

GYTR Race Harness

Brown Shipping box Package delivery Bag Wood

Hood Automotive tire Shipping box Automotive lighting Vehicle

Grey Automotive exterior Fixture Gas Packing materials

After my upcoming track day / race practice this weekend, I'll be stripping the bike of all the electronics and installing this harness along with the I2M dash and electronics. I was actually going to mount everything up this week, but given my hectic work schedule, kids' training and sports schedules, and still waiting on other parts to show, I figured I leave the bike in a known operating state and give myself a few weeks to get this done before my next outing at Buttonwillow with @Trackdaz and CRA... I'm sure there are going to be some nuances I'll need to sort out when dealing with a kit harness (like my FTECU quick shift/autoblip wiring, I2M dash wiring, brake pressure sensor install, etc.) should call for fun times...

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
What length on the shock are you going?
Just got back from ButtonWillow spending the entire day working on setup... Shock is at 320mm with the shorter 'racing' Ohlins spring (24041, the ones that usually come with the shocks are 24040)

In the image, you can see the two outer springs are the 24040's, and the one in the middle is the 24041 which is about 14mm shorter than the standard Ohlins spring...

Food Automotive tire Ingredient Orange Recipe

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
In our last episode, I had recently acquired a GYTR/YEC harness for the bike. As other parts began trickling in, and a trackday looming, it was time to get to work...

I started by stripping the bike of the OEM harness, which was relatively simple and surprisingly quick process; taking note of all connector and sensor locations.

Removing the race bodywork airbox, and tank helped this process as well

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

My OEM wiring spiderweb...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Fuel tank

OEM wiring harness removed...

Automotive tire Wood Grey Flooring Asphalt

A few bits had to come off the bike/OEM harness. The rectifier gets relocated and reused in the new GYTR setup, FTECU ABS Plug gets reused, the Woodcraft Key Eliminator is no longer needed, AIM Solo laptimer no longer needed, and the MyLaps transponder will get relocated and reused (and wired to 12v accessory power) Speedcell obviously gets reused and a new quick disconnect will need to be installed on the new harness...

Automotive tire Circuit component Motor vehicle Audio equipment Automotive lighting

Since the FTECU Auto Blipper wires differently to the YEC harness, I needed to swing by and pick up a new adaptor which connects the green wire to the map selector (OEM kickstand) connector instead of a pin directly to the ECU. I usually chat with Jason Aguilar about the technical stuff and what's needed, along with the usual future racing plans, his experience racing the Superbike Unlimited ZX-10r, etc etc, but he was out that day lobbying for a ride, and I bumped into longtime friend Chris Gardell, who graciously gave me the required harness since they no longer sell it (or the first gen QS/AutoBlipper setup I'm running).

FTECU QS/AutoBlipper Harness and SpeedCell Quick Disconnect

Gadget Hood Computer hardware Automotive lighting Gas

GYTR/YEC Harness Install Prep

Wood Plant Trunk Font Tree

Battery box trimmed. I originally trimmed the right side years ago for the Speedcell install...

Shoe Photograph White Black Gas

YEC bracket things...

Office equipment Film camera Camera accessory Gas Gadget

Rectifier installed with Ti bolts since I had some left over 🥴

Hood Product Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Initially when I wired everything up, the bike would turn but not start, then I remembered reading a thread on this forum regarding the left switchbox and enabling the turn signal... Then I read Pbnut's thread where he had a similar issue with the aftermarket button pods... Then I called Jason @ FTECU and went over my ECU settings... Then I stared at the YEC Kit Manual for a while and noticed the ignition coil sub harness connects to the cylinders in reverse order from OEM. After that slight change, the bike fired up no problem 😎

I had spoke to Jason that Friday about the issue and he was making sure I was going in the right direction of troubleshooting as well... Had I known that was going to be the last time I was going to speak to him, I probably would have stayed on the phone a bit longer. Last time I saw him we were riding at ButtonWillow with Trackdaz and was pushing the pace in B group with the VIP passes 😂 there were barley any riders in the late afternoon and there was tons of clear track.

RIP Jason Aguilar 🥺

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
If you want to install the YEC harness with a Motoholders subframe, it's not plug and play. You will need to get creative on how you will fit everything and mount the starter relay. In the photo below, I simply bent the YEC bracket to fit without cutting/trimming it, and moved the starter relay to the front of the battery box. Added a Ti bolt for good measure 😉

Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork

All done...

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

I needed to add a switch instead of using that ghetto jumper that comes with the harness, so I used the light switch 😂 it came out pretty legit haha

Fuel tank Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

With the GYTR/YEC Harness fully installed and fully functional, it was time to move on to the other pressing issues. I change the R1M dash's mode to the standard R1 dash which was pretty simple to do. This got rid of the ERS suspension errors on the dash since there are no fork/shock suspension connections going on this machine anymore. The Ohlins TTX 468 showed up quick from Italy, but the FKR 103's coming from Sweden took a while...

Ohlins FKR 103 for R1M Ohlins Forks

Hood Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Wood

Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring Gadget

You get 3 spring rates with this kit: 9.5, 10.0, and 10.5

Liquid Drinkware Product Fluid Font

Once this arrived, I headed over to my suspension tuner, JJ at Suspension Matters where he was able to get these installed and configured to my specification quickly. He was also going to give me trackside support, so I was confident I was going to finally get this beast dialed in

Engineering T-shirt Gas Tradesman Bottle

I had JJ perform some other work too since I made the drive to Azusa, like swapping my new shock spring to a 9.5 as it came with a 9.0, adding some shock length, and some other little things.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Yellow Floor

With all the suspension components configured, it was time for reassembly. Since I had everything taken apart and the entire frontend off the bike. This was my opportunity to fix a major issue with my geometry/setup. Originally when I installed the Evol Technology Triples, I installed the rake kit with a level of advice that moves in a different direction of where I need to go with my setup. After a few educational conversations with Richard Stanboli at Attack Performance, I now realized why my bike felt the way it did and made plans to change the setup in more of the direction of what the Attack bikes are running. That being said, I had to remove and reinstall my bearing races in the steering head to a different orientation to give me the proper rake angle. This was also an opportunity to inspect and grease the steering head bearings.

Evol Technology Triples and R1M Forks with Ohlins FKR's going in...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood

Ohlins TTX 468 with 75mm Potentiometer installed

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Triple clamps installed with recommended offset and rake angle

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Alloy wheel

Moving forward with the build, the last major thing to do on the list is the i2M Chrome Pro 2 dash install along with all the sensors. If you were reading this thread earlier, we had a discussion about dash protection...

Melotti Dash Protector for Chrome Pro 2
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Gadget Font

As with everything else, you're going to need some different bolt lengths and sizes than what comes in the I2M dash mounting kit packaging in order to make it work with the protective case. Luckily @mattyrich already went down this path and had the Amazon link ready for me 😎 You'll also need some additional washers as well to make it all mount properly

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper

I2M Dash mounted

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Reflex camera Motor vehicle Camera

The install is pretty straight forward once you take a moment to map everything out and figure out your routing strategy for running all the additional wiring throughout the bike. Once everything is wired, a firmware and software update is in order...

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Mode of transport Audio equipment

150mm Fork Potentiometer installed

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Brake Pressure Sensor installed at the master with a double banjo and mounted to the triple

Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Fender Automotive exterior

With all the new equipment installed, the rest of the bike went together with fresh oil & filter, new chain and sprockets, and fresh brake fluid as I had to bleed the brakes for the sensor install. I also had to trim some bodywork where the ECU was located originally to properly fit the rectifier.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I also installed other minor components like a Domino throttle with Domino grips, various Ti bolts, Fast Frank accessories, etc. etc. but didn't bother to go into detail for this thread as this is all common stuff.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
First track day at Buttonwillow with the new setup was nothing short of AMAZING 😍😍😍

I put on a fresh set of Pirelli SC1's to get an honest feel and assessment of the new setup as a lot of changes were made since my last day here back in late November.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

@mattyrich helped out a TON with getting my dash issues sorted... I went out for a few sessions and noticed my dash wasn't recording lap times and I wasn't recording data. A couple changes in the menu, along with labeling my sensors to make them easier to read when analyzing the data with the software.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

The longer wheelbase by milling out the swingarm as well as going back to the OEM shock linkage helped massively with corner exit

Automotive lighting Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The new suspension and the changes to the frontend proved to be HUGE differences that I was looking for! 🔥🔥🔥

I started off with about 3mm of gold showing above the triples, but ended the day with about 5mm. The frontend feel was definitely there and the FKR's helped in that department. The setup changes to the rake and offset made the bike more than compliant at pace as the harder I pushed, the easier it was to ride. The only thing to complain about right now would be the stability under braking, as the data showed I was at 11.5 Bar in hard braking zones of the track, but there are more critical sections of the track where I need to brake harder but I'm not confident. There are some changes to be had in my LIF strategies as the bike still wants to wheelie like crazy down the front straight in 3rd 😂 and any time I really get on the throttle out of corners (we really strive to add all this horsepower just to add cut 🥴) I'm currently analyzing the data to see how much TC is cutting, the amount of slip, and I'm still looking for the SCS so I can monitor it as well.

I ended up removing the dust seals to get an accurate picture of much suspension travel I have left
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

According to the data from the front potentiometer, I believe I can actually go down in spring rate at the forks, or potentially give them less preload. At any rate, having the data to look at after the sessions and days are a major game changer that will improve the bike as well as my riding. I'm still getting used to the Danas Pro software, but it's pretty easy to use and find the data that I'm looking for so far.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts