Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wish I had been keeping up with this.
I run some very different geometry numbers, but then again, I'm back to a superstock setup.
New bodywork looks nnice.
The i2M stuff looks decent, but the software does not. I'm deep into the AiM stuff now, but I do envy the sectoring capability that i2M affords.
I'll never understand why they won't do sectors... the same goes for the Yamaha CCU stuff. It can't possibly be that hard seeing that even racechrono will do it and it's a free app.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Wish I had been keeping up with this.
I run some very different geometry numbers, but then again, I'm back to a superstock setup.
New bodywork looks nnice.
The i2M stuff looks decent, but the software does not. I'm deep into the AiM stuff now, but I do envy the sectoring capability that i2M affords.
I'm now running geometry based on the new setup I received from Richard and Jozef at Attack, so it's even a bit different from my previous post. Again, I feel like I know waaay too much about rake, trail, and offset 😂

Full blown Attack Performance GYTR Superbike-Spec now

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Added a custom BOX screen on the i2M that allows me to view vital info upon initial start up...

Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The i2M software is actually extremely powerful once you wrap your head around it and configure the modes to your liking. @mattyrich setup a bunch of modes (screens) via .xml files that give you different views of critical data like TC/LIF/SCS, Throttle/Slip, Suspension travel, TPS/APS/Brake :

Computer Laptop Personal computer Netbook Output device

I was literally sitting trackside in between sessions reviewing my data trying to get an idea of how much TC was being applied and if my ETV maps were providing enough cut to fire out of corners better.

I worked with Chris from FTECU (who was working with Josh Hayes and Rocco Landers) last track day and he was using AiM Race Studio software to analyze data coming off of the R6's. He gave me an export of the CAN BUS ID's to get a better picture of what the rider aids are actually doing; instead of giving us on/off data... e.g. TCS level, PID info, slip target engagement, ETV cut, ignition cut, etc. instead of just TCS on, TCS off... I need to map those IDs to the i2M dash to get that data in the Danas software.

I have a few things going on in the electronics department on this bike... I'll keep you guys posted.

Chris from DrippinWet sent a care package with my new numberplates, decals, and other graphics, but I put on my old stuff for my last trackday. I'll post more pics when I find time to put them on the new bodywork

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Still waiting on my carbon airbox cover from Carbonin to arrive to complete the bodywork, Attack is anodizing some rear lifters+chain guards for me, and leaning towards moving in a different direction with my electronics, so there are a few more changes down the pipeline...

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I'll never understand why they won't do sectors... the same goes for the Yamaha CCU stuff. It can't possibly be that hard seeing that even racechrono will do it and it's a free app.
After experimenting with it, there are a few lessons learned and a logic behind it:

The DDS (sectoring) is based on distance, not so much the GPS, so the accuracy of when it kicks in is a bit questionable... At the end of the day, the goal is to find settings that work for the entire race track, and use the sectoring for trouble spots. You also need a bit of control over the maps you are changing- You don't want too many changes or abrupt changes between settings (etc. different power modes in different sectors and the throttle responds differently, etc)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bike looks amazing! Congrats!!

The DDS thing, I looked into it but I feel that if it goes wrong or glitches it can be quite catastrophic so I've steered clear.

Oddly enough, what I am most jealous about is your knowledge of the Danas software hahaha I seriously need to learn that stuff.

I'm also a bit undecided on what to do next... My bike is still in really good condition but being a '16, it obviously has room for improvement. Not sure if I should go with a 2020+ R1 for ease of transferring most of my parts across, wait and see what Yamaha will bring out for 2023 or start new with something else (i.e. Ducati V4?), even refreshing my engine and tossing in a set of cams would go a long way. But yeah, hard question that my wallet will have to answer sooner or later.

·
Venom X/O
26,397 Posts

The DDS thing, I looked into it but I feel that if it goes wrong or glitches it can be quite catastrophic so I've steered clear.

Oddly enough, what I am most jealous about is your knowledge of the Danas software hahaha I seriously need to learn that stuff.

I'm also a bit undecided on what to do next... My bike is still in really good condition but being a '16, it obviously has room for improvement. Not sure if I should go with a 2020+ R1 for ease of transferring most of my parts across, wait and see what Yamaha will bring out for 2023 or start new with something else (i.e. Ducati V4?), even refreshing my engine and tossing in a set of cams would go a long way. But yeah, hard question that my wallet will have to answer sooner or later.
I heard the V4’s are blowing side covers and spilling oil, even seen it on a race bike locally last round. I’d look into it and see if Ducati has acknowledged it or remedied it. IMO tho… you do you… 😂

Reactions: R1BrOz
9,130 Posts

Marq builds a mean track bike, I’d marry him no [email protected]@…

Regarding the Ducati, it’s not as easy to ride fast as the yamaha. It’s an amazing machine, but the yamaha is so rider friendly, and the electronics are so dialed in. With that said, I would just get both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh I hear you both re the Ducati... I know it won't be as reliable as the R1, that's for sure. I actually race against a few of them here. There are 2 V4Rs and maybe 4-5 V4S converted. I haven't seen anyone blowing side covers but I know 2 of the V4S' were early models and their gearboxes cried no more.

V4Rs are obviously owned by 'financially healthy' riders who maintain them properly so I don't see them blowing up anytime soon. They're also way out of my budget 😢

I had a go on one of the V4S and it's obviously way more powerful than my R1 and the electronics on the 2021 model I rode were really good too but corner entry seems especially tricky on them. That could be down to setup and if it isn't, I could probably get used to it and learn to ride around it. But for the same investment, getting a new R1 and doing some engine work seems like the safer/smarter bet.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Marq builds a mean track bike, I’d marry him no [email protected]@…

Regarding the Ducati, it’s not as easy to ride fast as the yamaha. It’s an amazing machine, but the yamaha is so rider friendly, and the electronics are so dialed in. With that said, I would just get both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is another opportunity to post an important clip of John's wisdom from the YouTube channel regarding the R1 😂

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is another opportunity to post an important clip of John's wisdom from the YouTube channel regarding the R1 😂

That was brilliant! Thanks for sharing! Ok... ok... 2020+ R1 it is. 😁 I guess now I'll have to do some research on how to get some more power out of them cause most of our tracks down here leave a lot of room for hp.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts