Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 1316 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
yes
UPDATE=RACE LAY OUT
how is the temperature now when you ride on the street after the blow-out on the dyno?

I have a theory that i'll share with you, but please answer regaring the temp.:)
i had the same problem, and i don't think this is about a donor rad

·
Banned
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
how is the temperature now when you ride on the street after the blow-out on the dyno?

I have a theory that i'll share with you, but please answer regaring the temp.:)
i had the same problem, and i don't think this is about a donor rad
on the street is 75-81 while riding but at the dyno it hit like 115-120 and boom... but at the track thursday i was a slater of water ont he windscreen and thought it was rain but i guess not that rad was kinda f.ked to start with is what i think i mean they had to hack it and weld it to make it fit the r1 so SUPERBIKE RAD all the way screw this mc giver riging stuff

·
Registered
321 Posts
on the street is 75-81 while riding but at the dyno it hit like 115-120 and boom... but at the track thursday i was a slater of water ont he windscreen and thought it was rain but i guess not that rad was kinda f.ked to start with is what i think i mean they had to hack it and weld it to make it fit the r1 so SUPERBIKE RAD all the way screw this mc giver riging stuff
If your rad and all hoses are not leaking , and the cooling water is filling up the water expansion tank because of too high pressure in the coolant system... well... then it may a risk of that you have blown the head gasket.

One way of testing this:
Take off the rad cap, start the engine and blip the throttle. The water should rise in the rad, but not flush out of the rad...
Let it run and see how the water in the rad behaves. If you also see a lot of bubbles while blipping the throttle, that a bad sign.

Maybe someone else on this forum have different methods of testing this.

·
Taking my bike test soon :)
1,763 Posts
Run stock r1 radiator, i've used those on these engines at 190bhp no problem. You will be well under that power.

150-120 .... you should test the radiator like sharan just said. If you have loads of huge bubbles then head gasket most likely f**ked

·
Banned
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
ok i solved the radiator problem the guys who i took it to... probly banged it somewhere and *****ed it up and fixed it with some JB WELD thats where it blew motherf*ckers i did not check it when i got it back from the welders... so now i re jb weld it just for tomorrow

·
1,763 Posts
ok i solved the radiator problem the guys who i took it to... probly banged it somewhere and *****ed it up and fixed it with some JB WELD thats where it blew motherf*ckers i did not check it when i got it back from the welders... so now i re jb weld it just for tomorrow
FFS, there are some real fu**ing cowboys around

·
1,763 Posts
so youre saying all this work and he hasnt gained much?
Seeing as they are only around 160bhp with a full system i'd say he has gained. I would guess at 10bhp peak gain and 15bhp midrange loss.

·
1,763 Posts
Tim, would this be the norm. with Superbike spec?
Yes. Been this way on the r1 since 07. I've had some come in that were over 20bhp down in midrange compared to stock.

·
Keep it between the hedges!
1,758 Posts
Yes. Been this way on the r1 since 07. I've had some come in that were over 20bhp down in midrange compared to stock.
Thanks Tim, so do you think that some cam timing adjustment would/could balance the loss in midrange while leaving an acceptable trade-off gain in the top?

·
1,763 Posts
Thanks Tim, so do you think that some cam timing adjustment would/could balance the loss in midrange while leaving an acceptable trade-off gain in the top?
Cam timing you will find 3bhp, not 23bhp.

Here are a couple of examples. I'm comparing stock motors with full systems and mapped up vs full "superbike" specs.

First is an 07 bike with motor built by one of the biggest car race engine tuning companies there is who were going to "take over superbike tuning and show everyone else how to do it".

Second is an 09 built by a very well known bike tuner.

It is possible to make these engines make huge power everywhere ..... but very few tuners can do this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Correct headwork mainly. These bikes are very sensitive to port reshaping and from what I've seen need drastic alterations to maintain or gain midrange.

Chamber reshaping too.

·
1,763 Posts
Correct. Heads are critical. Port work, chamber shape, valve job. I get 3 bhp out of an r6 just from the correct seat profiles, some people loose 3bhp with the wrong seat profiles

·
1,763 Posts
Here are 2 ones i built vs the best of any other tuner i've ever seen. Funny thing is the one with shit torque that makes 183bhp was claimed over 210bhp - yes i see this a lot where tuned engines are 20-30bhp lower than what is claimed and i run everything including wsbk and motogp bikes!

So you have 3 r1's all the same engine internals, 2 with properly reworked heads and 1 with a conventional port job.

Attachments

·
Keep it between the hedges!
1,758 Posts
Correct headwork mainly. These bikes are very sensitive to port reshaping and from what I've seen need drastic alterations to maintain or gain midrange.

Chamber reshaping too.
Correct. Heads are critical. Port work, chamber shape, valve job. I get 3 bhp out of an r6 just from the correct seat profiles, some people loose 3bhp with the wrong seat profiles
Here are 2 ones i built vs the best of any other tuner i've ever seen. Funny thing is the one with shit torque that makes 183bhp was claimed over 210bhp - yes i see this a lot where tuned engines are 20-30bhp lower than what is claimed and i run everything including wsbk and motogp bikes!

So you have 3 r1's all the same engine internals, 2 with properly reworked heads and 1 with a conventional port job.
Gentlemen, thank you so very much for explaining and imparting your knowledge. I guess that when I'm at that stage of developement, there will be another delivery from Ireland, thanks again.

Sorry cr2011r1 for jacking your thread!

·
Banned
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
go thats ok liam i enjoy this stuff i just came back from the race....IN ALOT OF PAIN
first race came off the line really bad... was in second did one lap coming on the straightaway you have to brake for a tight left turn the pointer brakes outside so hes in my way i go on the out side and i let out my competetive animal i saw him next to me i guned it and crashed lol then i had to come out from pits... and TOTAL RESULT CAME IN 2ND note THIS IS MY FIRST CIRCUIT RACE i've been riding 9 years but as stunt and crazy street riding so i think the outcome was good because the guy who won has been racing and traning for 2 years and me only thursday a lil track and today my first race and my first lap i almost kicked his ass he just IN MY WAY... and then again i took a connon to a knife fight lol up loading pics

261 - 280 of 1316 Posts