Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Born to do trackdays
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my R1 cooks in traffic ! It doesn't take much for the temp to rise to 106 C and the fans to kick in. I don't like the bike to run this hot at all ! I would like to modify/replace the thermoswitch with something that will kick in a lot lower. I've asked around and the only advice is a toggle switch to do this manually. (which I'll only do as a last resort)

Does anybody know of an aftermarket replacement or modification that I can use ?

·
My next race bike !
53 Posts
make sure the fan is turning on if it make sure the thermostat is opening to let coolant into the rad. you might want to put a cooling aditive like redline water wetter or engine ice in the coolant also i run water and water wetter in my race bike with no problems:D

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
I run Engine Ice in my bike and it dropped the temps about 10-15F it works great,as far as the switch goes you can either take out the t-stat or use a toggle switch.

·
My next race bike !
53 Posts
My race bike also doubles as a street bike. imagine rush hour traffic in july Hot hot hot. and the thing never over heats. I bought a daytona digital temp guage to make sure where the temp was .my fzr "had" a gay h-c temp gauges. you could also go to your local parts unlimited dealer to order a Muzzys alum. 6 blades cooling fan $36.95. or call me at work and i could order and ship it to you 262-532-0000

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
I have heard of people using those fans,that is a great idea I will probably call you sometime next week........Thanks:cool:

·
Born to do trackdays
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thermoswitch question rephrased

Hi, let me explain or put it differently. Everything works as designed ! Waiting at a traffic light, the temp goes up to 105 C and then the fan kicks in and holds it steady. When you pull off it quickly drops to 83-85 C and once on the open road down to 72 C. As designed ...

I don't like the high temp - 105 C - that the fan kicks in at. I would like the fan to kick in as low as 90/95 C. I can fit a switch under the left hand to switch it on and off, but would've prefered some automatic method of switching the fan on. The Muzzy fan sounds great and I'll get that in any case, but it will only get activated at 105 C, that's the problem. Any ideas on automatic activation of the fan at lower temps ?

·
My next race bike !
53 Posts
i have no answer to lowering the temp for the fan let me talk to a yamaha service rep and get back to you guys

·
988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Who makes Engine Ice ?

·
My next race bike !
53 Posts
you can get from mast race supply store or pick up a copy of roadracing world

1 - 9 of 9 Posts