Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2501 - 2520 of 2525 Posts

·
Living life 1/4 mile at a time
59 Posts
Good thing I started on a 2009 ZX6R at 15, that was my first taste of supersports and it opened my eyes to the hobby. Had a Ninja 300 kept it a year, moved houses, grabbed an R1. Currently 19yrs old with a highly modified 06 R1 and no accidents to date. A good rule is to respect the bike and to treat it like how you'd treat your lady.. no kidding LOL. I'd be more upset seeing the bike hit the ground than I would my own self.

Reactions: R1Spider

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good thing I started on a 2009 ZX6R at 15, that was my first taste of supersports and it opened my eyes to the hobby. Had a Ninja 300 kept it a year, moved houses, grabbed an R1. Currently 19yrs old with a highly modified 06 R1 and no accidents to date. A good rule is to respect the bike and to treat it like how you'd treat your lady.. no kidding LOL. I'd be more upset seeing the bike hit the ground than I would my own self.
Completely agree that you should treat the bike nicely and go with her step by step like a lady otherwise you are ****ed :wink2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
An r1 for your first bike is just suicide, i have been riding for 30 yrs and i just moved up to the 1000cc class of bike 2 yrs ago, any litre bike is a really ****ed up choice for your first ride,

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't had the time to read all the threads, but I am wondering this... Other than getting one from a private seller, shouldn't the salesman be asking questions about your riding style, time on the saddle, length of license, any track time, or more importantly how many courses you have attended?

I only worked at one motorcycle dealership for a few summer months, but worked at several car dealerships and the main part of my job was to make sure the customer was completely satisfied so they would return for their next purchase as well as send friends and family. If this is not the practice at all dealerships, that is a sad thing. I have called on previous customers to find out they died of a heart attack or something else, but I would be devastated if I were to call and find out they died on a bike I sold them and had not asked the important questions.

And to mention one more thing. When I was looking for insurance quotes a several years ago, I told the lady that I was thinking about the R1. She stopped me and said she had to read an important disclaimer. It said something to the effect of the R1 has the highest fatality rate as well as one of the highest high speed crash rates with major injury. This was not because it is the fastest top speed bike, but one of the fastest accelerating bikes on the market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something that should be considered is the things that happen regardless of how you ride it.
There are many things that happen on a bike where only experience will save you. If we are honest alot of those things happen way more often on a R1 than can be counted.
If you don't have the experience then you shouldn't be on a R1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 51 years old. Poppin a clutch since I was 5. Too many bikes to count. I now ride an R1. Been doing this my entire life. Anyone who owns an R1 and says they have never scared themselves riding one on public roads / highways.

I would question their sanity!!!!!

Wether it is a Yamaha R1 1000cc Japanese crotch rocket, or an 1100 Yamaha Varago cruiser, it's too much engine horsepower at the back wheel for any beginner. Don't believe me????? Go take your practicle bike training course on your R1.

·
Premium Member
12,256 Posts
I'm 51 years old. Poppin a clutch since I was 5. Too many bikes to count. I now ride an R1. Been doing this my entire life. Anyone who owns an R1 and says they have never scared themselves riding one on public roads / highways.

I would question their sanity!!!!!

Wether it is a Yamaha R1 1000cc Japanese crotch rocket, or an 1100 Yamaha Varago cruiser, it's too much engine horsepower at the back wheel for any beginner. Don't believe me????? Go take your practicle bike training course on your R1.
Already did. :)

2501 - 2520 of 2525 Posts