Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Philly Rider
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of picking up a low mile 748 just for a second bike. I dont want to spend a ton of money but I dont want to waste money on a bike that I wont be happy with riding. I am not planing on getting rid of my 05 r1 I just want to even the miles out since I am going to keep my 05 for a long time considering the money I have into it. What do you guys think? Has anyone spent time on a 748 to give me feedback?

·
Ex Race god.
1,102 Posts
Spent MANY hours on 748's and 916's and 996's actually.

Personally i think you're better buying a 916. (assuming cost is an issue here) as they're far more GRUNT than the 748. The 748 is the worst of all world. It's underpowerd and revvy, but revving it doesn't get you far.

I truely adored riding all the Ducati range and owned 3 in the recent past, but they are high maintainance and expensive to run. For me that made it not viable to own.

I highly recommend owning one... they are evocative bikes which give passion and feedback like no other bikes.

But... as a 2nd / spare bike only :)

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
in general Ducatis and services aren't cheap, so that might not be the way you want to go.

·
Philly Rider
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks that was what I was looking for. I know it sounds crazy as a second bike but my r1 is set up just how I like it and I prob wouldnt trade ot for any other bike.

Spent MANY hours on 748's and 916's and 996's actually.

Personally i think you're better buying a 916. (assuming cost is an issue here) as they're far more GRUNT than the 748. The 748 is the worst of all world. It's underpowerd and revvy, but revving it doesn't get you far.

I truely adored riding all the Ducati range and owned 3 in the recent past, but they are high maintainance and expensive to run. For me that made it not viable to own.

I highly recommend owning one... they are evocative bikes which give passion and feedback like no other bikes.

But... as a 2nd / spare bike only :)

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts

·
Philly Rider
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One good thing about where I live is I have Ferracci in my back yard. And im in pretty cool with the service guys. Eraldo Ferrachi dyno tunned my R1

·
My Mac eats your PC
156 Posts
My riding buddy has a yellow 748 and an old yellow monster. I've only had limited riding time on both. The 748 is a pain around town, but great on the twisties. Seems like it needs to be ridden hard to be enjoyed. My 05 R1 is far superior as an all-around bike in my opinion. However, the Monster (620 i believe) is awesome all-around, seriously thinking about purchasing a new monster or hypermotard if I win the lottery!

·
Ex Race god.
1,102 Posts
Disagree, as much as the ducati has issues, i think it's a 'MUST own' bike before you quit biking, same as the old Carb'd R1's... You simply have to own one, it's a passage of rite of biking.

Much as i wouldn't swap my R1 for a 748 now, i wouldn't swap the time i spent on the Ducatis in my past.

·
Philly Rider
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree 100% on the carb R1. I have owned 8 bikes and my 01 r1 was the best.

Disagree, as much as the ducati has issues, i think it's a 'MUST own' bike before you quit biking, same as the old Carb'd R1's... You simply have to own one, it's a passage of rite of biking.

Much as i wouldn't swap my R1 for a 748 now, i wouldn't swap the time i spent on the Ducatis in my past.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.