Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 01 red R1. I am not too impressed with the 02 R1. Doesn't look as sharp, in my opinion. Read the reviews of the 954, and saw the actual bike. Think it is cool and fierce. I am very tempted to trade in my R1 for the honda.What do you think?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually love my R1, but this bike is getting so common, everywhere I go, I see the R1, seems to get boring after a while. One more thing, I can't stand the tickling sound. But I will wait for the shootout review before putting in my deposit.

· My dog ate my R1
227 Posts
First of all, if you are so bored with the R1, than why wait for the shootout review? I read a review where they compare the 02 954 to the 01 R1 and the 954 was NOT a better bike. Now compare it to the 02 R1 and it should be a no brainer. I think the front end on the RR is butt ugly! And...If you dont think everyone will be riding around on RR's then you are mistaken. Get the black/silver 02 R1 instead.

· Registered
29 Posts
I don't know what article you read on the 954 that said it wasn't any better. I've read all the british mags (can't put any stock in what the US mags say) and they all loved it. Said the power was better and the handling is improved substantially. As for the looks, I'd say it wins in that dept as well. Just got back from my local Yamaha dealer and saw the 02 R1 in silver/black. About as plain a bike as you could get. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

:machinegu

· Premium Member
6,305 Posts
Leean. Why not modify your R1 .. custom paint it.. change the look of it.. replace rear. Replace front.. or something drastic.

I don't think the 954 wins in looks over the R1.. :n0t

But as you say.. there are many R1s... but that doesn't make a bad bike. There's a reason everyone buy the R1. Cuz it's reliable, good looking and has plenty of power (and low end grunt for that matter).

I think the new 954 is too comfortable. You got a too much sit-up position. Almost like on a cruiser bike.

Hmm.. just found I should add a smilie/icon for Thumbs Down. :yesnod

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyway,thanks for all your inputs. I will wait for the shootout and see. If the 954 is way behind the 02 R1, then that would probably swing my decision. If its a close fight and the R1 wins marginally, than I think I will get the 954. But again, if I make $ in shares.

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
I think It should be called a Shootdown, because the R-1 is gonna shootem all down this year :rock

· This is the end......
42 Posts
Thats what happened to me as well, I was all set to get the silver blade.
Then I saw that silver R1 and it was clear which bike would be mine.
By the way, are you a light heavy?
Either way you were dead on that day!

· Grip it and rip it!
662 Posts
I read a British mag where they compared the 954 and the 01 R1...The 954 was impressive per them, but not quite the R1 (perfect Carburation)...

954: The pegs and can dragged early, still abrupt with the FI on off idle...They did say the handling on the 954 was better than the 929 (Hope so), but the front end is still a 929 front...

If you think there are too many R1's, don't start counting 929's...I think they are like Camaros and Mustangs. If it's what you want though, buy it!!! You must remember the testers are racers or near par, and they are pushing the bikes HARD! Not to say you won't...

The big thing is whether it blows your skirt up or not...Only you can decide...If you do, RIDE REPORT! And any other info on it would be cool! It's tough to read mags and decide....Some are so biased! I prefer the Forums! Get honest talk on the bikes! More power to you, and you're still welcome here to talk to us!!!! IE not a traitor!!!!

· Señor Citizen
20,295 Posts
Ummmm...... Turbo or NOS

When I get sick of the power of the R1, I might just go and get the racespec' front/rear and 100HP NOS of a Garrett T28 and that'll whip any Fairyblade......

But at the end of the day Leean, what you like is what you like and to heck with what anyone else says, eh. See ya on the road some time. I'll still say Hi if your on a FairyBlade........ :p

· throttle up
58 Posts
Hey bro roverdog hit it right on spot... what ever blows your skirt up.... go with what you feel you will be happy with and dont worry about other opinions but dont change just cause the r1 is popular cause soon as you start riding something different you'll see more and more of whatever your riding...... customizing is your only way to be original if thats what your worried about... Good luck in you decision :yesnod
Joker

· Registered
456 Posts
Let's face it

It's just a GREAT time to be a bike rider:D From the perspective of riding streetbikes for the last 30 yrs, and owning or riding every new cutting edge, gotta havit bike that has come down the pike.................... it really does get down to things like " I think this ones prettier":blah
All the bikes are so incredibly capable and great, that it would be nearly impossible to make a bad choice. I think the 954 looks much better this year. I've ridden 929's a lot, they are nice, but a bit underpowered and remote feeling compared to the R-1. SO WHAT!! that's just my opinion, and if ANY bike floats your boat, go for it:D

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts

· Registered
456 Posts
A funny thing

Of the 4 Japanese Makes I've never owned a kwacker, altho I've ridden quite a few. I've owned 5 hondas, 5 Yam's, 4 suzi's, a couple of Norton's, 2 MG Leman's etc. But no Kawi's. Of the big 4 they seem to have the poorest fit and finish, and generally like the ZX-9 pictured they are a day late and a $ short in head to head shootouts. Too bad, maybe the new cooperation between Suzuki and kawasaki will help big K that way:)

· Grip it and rip it!
662 Posts
Everyone always pounds The Kawasaki's on fit and finish...Where? Set them side by side with a Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki and tell me that. I read that in every magazine, but I have and have seen many Honda's (93 CBR600) with poor fitting farings...I have had a 91 ZX6, 96 ZX6R, and My father has a 95 ZX600R. All are fine to me...Never saw any problems, and I disassembled the two ZX6's.

I think Kawasaki is right on when working on them...Never had the oil leak on the exhaust like on some bikes. Sync the carbs and you'll love the Kawa...remove two bolts, flip up the tank, and pull the vacuum tubes from the rear of the carbs and you're in business!

The ZX9 is 400 pounds dry, and still makes 130 Hp rear wheel if I'm not mistaken! It's bigger in the fairing, but for riding alot, it's on the money. It's no racer or racer look alike...But, for road use...It's damn comfy! Put this side by side with an R1, and you would be surprised! It's no slouch.

I have only seen them on the track at TX motor speedway. Lighten it 30 pounds, skinny it in width, and FI it, and you got something...Kawasaki refuses to chase the competition, and they are suffering from it...Limited money to pay engineers...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.