Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just joined the forum today and wanted to get some advice on a bike i'm looking at. Right now i'm thinking about trading in my 2011 Yamaha FZ8 in for a 06 Yamaha R1 with just over 8,000 miles on it and a $6995 price tag, is that a good price?. I've had my FZ8 for about a year now and ride as much as I can. Although the FZ8 is my first street bike, I have ridden dirt bikes off and on for 20+years, my last dirt bike was a honda 450, I know there is difference between the two. The question I had was would the R1 make a good everyday bike, I would use it mainly as a street bike, twisties, city riding, just cruising around on etc. maybe track days one day. I'm 5'8" 240 lbs fully geared up, would I need to have the suspension tuned to my weight? Also another bike i'm looking at beside the R1 is a k4 or newer Gixxer 750 or would the gixxer be better choice. Thanks for the feed back guys.

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Hey, first of all. Welcome to the forum! Some pretty legit concerns you have here for sure! I used to own a 07 GSXR600 and an 05 R1... One of those bikes is still around... The other isn't :lol

No honestly though... I personally hated the Gixxer... I never was able to get comfortable on that bike and i put around 15k miles on her in the year or so I owned it. I have friends that own Gixxers and they love them... It's just a preference thing I suppose... I have done 500+ mile rides in a day on the R1 and have no complaints... It's a sport bike... It's not a Gold Wing... It's comfortable for what it is. As for everyday use... It's totally doable... The only thing I'd personally recommend is if you do that drop a tooth in the front. The stock gearing has no grunt up until about 9 grand... Dropping a tooth in the front will def. help out with the bottom end for your city riding. As for the suspension... For that weight technically they would say to have it resprung for your weight... Honestly... Anyone over 170 is "too heavy" for the stock suspension... That being said... I haven't changed mine and I still ride the shit out of it and have no issues... I'm 6'0 and around the same weight as you. I would however recommend at least setting it up for your weight as best as possible. It really does make a world of difference.

Edited to add: I've ridden my 05 everywhere. Tons of miles in twisties, a lot of commuting, and a few track days in as well. All with the same suspension settings... You can make do if its hard for you to justify the respring.

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The answer to your first question is yes.... :D

I think you can do better on the price for a 06 depending on condition. $7k is a mint, and I mean mint, kind of price in my opinion. Or an 06 with a bunch of goodies (but still mint).

· Registered
52 Posts
In California, which seems to be more expensive, I paid $6500 for my '07 in very good condition (but 24k miles). It's not the best ever deal but reasonably good (imo), but on that basis $6995 sounds high for that bike...

· 0-Jailtime in 2.9 seconds
249 Posts
My 03 is my every day bike. Works great as a jack of all trades - commute, twisties, touring is okay.. greatly depends on the rider.
It would probably do track days with ease.
No need to change my gearing as mine has enough grunt, so I can't comment on the later models.

I'm also 6ft tall and about 180 pounds, perhaps closer to 200 in full gear.
Suspension has been adjusted but not resprung - it works well on the street so I've not had the need to have it done yet. Maybe once I get to the track

· Registered
125 Posts
I bought my 08 R1 in October last year and the sticker price was £5995, so thereabouts. Incidentally, also with just under 8k on the clock. It's in rude health, not sure if it could be described as mint, but is sure good enough for me. $6995 works out around £4.5k so very reasonable and I would say it's a good deal.

As far as whether you should get an R1 - it's a no brainer; do it and you will not regret it!

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
I paid $6500 for my '07 in very good condition (but 24k miles). It's not the best ever deal but reasonably good (imo), but on that basis $6995 sounds high for that bike...
$500 more for a better looking bike with 16k miles less is too high....:shake If it is a 'mint' condition bike with all original parts, its not the worst buy that's for sure. While you could possibly find one cheaper, I would see what you can get them come down to on that particular bike. It is an excellent street bike IMO, very smooth engine, and very controllable power all wrapped in a package more capable than most riders. Its an excellent handler on the street or track, and a very solid, confidence inspiring bike all around. You'll love it !...:deal2:

· Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,239 Posts
Right now i'm thinking about trading in my 2011 Yamaha FZ8 in for a 06 Yamaha R1 with just over 8,000 miles on it and a $6995 price tag, is that a good price?.
$5995 is a better price and more in line with the value for 9 year old bike. Since you mentioned trading in, it sounds like a dealership, where they will either undervalue your trade-in, over-value the bike they are trying to sell, or both. Good luck.

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
I'm 5'8" 240 lbs fully geared up, would I need to have the suspension tuned to my weight?
You will definitely need suspension tuning. But that will be true for any bike, unless you happen to find one already setup for a rider of similar weight. Even then retuning is in your best interest. I am a bit heavier than you (6'2" 250ish in gear) and the stock suspension could not be adjusted to my weight. I had to change front springs, and the rear spring. Getting the suspension close is not too expensive if you are willing (and able) to do the work yourself.

· Registered
340 Posts
I'd say the it is overpriced by far regardless the conditions. Just have a look at NADA/KBB and make up your mind. Guess it is from a dealer? For such old bike I'll comfortably go to private sellers.

P.S. unless you're really into sportbikes, for the usage you plan I believe there are other kind of bikes that will fit better your needs and driving comfort. My 2 cents...

· kickin' at the darkness
10,318 Posts
Hey, first of all. Welcome to the forum! Some pretty legit concerns you have here for sure! I used to own a 07 GSXR600 and an 05 R1... One of those bikes is still around... The other isn't :lol
i rode an 07 GSXr600 fresh out of the crate back in the day, owned an 05 R6 at the time, but i had considered the gixxers briefly...

boy am i glad i did not, lazy steering, vague front end feel, nothing to speak of in terms of right down upper registry wail sensation... it was a sportbike yes, but thats about as far as it went with me... not impressed :greddy:

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
2009 if I'm not mistaken

· Registered
52 Posts
$500 more for a better looking bike with 16k miles less is too high....:shake If it is a 'mint' condition bike with all original parts, its not the worst buy that's for sure. While you could possibly find one cheaper, I would see what you can get them come down to on that particular bike. It is an excellent street bike IMO, very smooth engine, and very controllable power all wrapped in a package more capable than most riders. Its an excellent handler on the street or track, and a very solid, confidence inspiring bike all around. You'll love it !...:deal2:
Mmmm, looks is subjective so that's out of the window for a start...it's a newer model which almost always carries a premium across cars and bikes, which is why I said $500 extra is a little high on that basis (for an older model albeit with less miles). I was using my bike as comparison because of the condition stated, so the question was really how much do you value the model difference vs the miles. Ordinarily I would have said the model difference would outweigh the mileage difference, for me at least, given the miles. In any case, the whole argument is based on subjective values, so everyone is 'right' (or 'wrong').

· My R1 owes me money!
314 Posts
I'm with One2 on this. In our neck of the woods an in 9 is going for 7ish. Hell I picked up a very low mile 2010 Rossie for 8000 flat. I wouldn't trade your bike in and pay your amount for an 06. Keep the hunt going man.

· Registered
125 Posts
I'm with One2 on this. In our neck of the woods an in 9 is going for 7ish. Hell I picked up a very low mile 2010 Rossie for 8000 flat. I wouldn't trade your bike in and pay your amount for an 06. Keep the hunt going man.
Sounds like I live in the wrong neck of them woods... $8000 is WAY cheap for where I am. To put it in perspective, my old 62 plate SV650S which I traded in for the 4C8 is now on the shop floor for £3.5k, so a chunk over $5000...

· Premium Member
39,036 Posts
Hello all, just joined the forum today and wanted to get some advice on a bike i'm looking at. Right now i'm thinking about trading in my 2011 Yamaha FZ8 in for a 06 Yamaha R1 with just over 8,000 miles on it and a $6995 price tag, is that a good price?. I've had my FZ8 for about a year now and ride as much as I can. Although the FZ8 is my first street bike, I have ridden dirt bikes off and on for 20+years, my last dirt bike was a honda 450, I know there is difference between the two. The question I had was would the R1 make a good everyday bike, I would use it mainly as a street bike, twisties, city riding, just cruising around on etc. maybe track days one day. I'm 5'8" 240 lbs fully geared up, would I need to have the suspension tuned to my weight? Also another bike i'm looking at beside the R1 is a k4 or newer Gixxer 750 or would the gixxer be better choice. Thanks for the feed back guys.
My favorite model R1. As an everyday bike, depends how it's setup and how much you don't mind weighing down your wrists. Price is a bit high but that would depend how stock the bike is. Suspension would definitely need upgrading to at least a better rear aftermarket shock and spring of around 10.5 kg. Front springs swapped to match as well. The only place I would think you'd benefit with a gixxer 750 is on a track comparatively and a lower insurance bill.

For that price I know a fully tricked out 03 that has ALL the bells and whistles... Go BIG or Go home! :lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.