Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I dremeled out around my throttle tube to decrease the snappy throttle response. After that was done, I had a good amount of slack in the throttle cable. I have maxed out the adjustment on the throttle side so I then propped the tank to look at the throttle bodies side. This is where my problem lies. I can't seem to figure out how to make an adjustment at that end of the cable. I have seen people recommend this but without an explanation. Is this possible? If I order a new cable, would it be short enough to cover the extra slack?

Anyone who has purchased a new throttle cable, where does the adjuster sit when it is brand new? Is it close to the throttle tube?

Thanks for any help. I am at a standstill.

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
that's a new one on me, usually people want a more responsive throttle.
the adjuster is indeed near the throttle. you may be able to get a small amount of adjustment at the other end but not very much.
I don't think getting new cables will help 'cause there gonna be the same length as the ones you've already got.

sounds like you need to get a new whatever you dremeled & start over.

have you got any pics? I sure this could help somebody from doing the same thing.

·
Gixxer killer
216 Posts
Alright, I dremeled out around my throttle tube to decrease the snappy throttle response. After that was done, I had a good amount of slack in the throttle cable. I have maxed out the adjustment on the throttle side so I then propped the tank to look at the throttle bodies side. This is where my problem lies. I can't seem to figure out how to make an adjustment at that end of the cable. I have seen people recommend this but without an explanation. Is this possible? If I order a new cable, would it be short enough to cover the extra slack?

Anyone who has purchased a new throttle cable, where does the adjuster sit when it is brand new? Is it close to the throttle tube?

WTF? to decrease snappy throttle responce. An R6 might be your solution.

·
62 Posts

Thanks for any help. I am at a standstill.
I also did this to my r6, have yet to do it for my r1, but didn't run into any problems with cable lengths when i did it?
i'm assuming you ground down inline with the original holes, and didn't make it wider than it should be? b/c that would definately make it seem as if you had cable slack when you in fact didn't.

and to those that don't know why someone would do this ~ its for making minute throttle adjustments easier while in a wheelie. kind of a cheat for better throttle control.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dremeled a trench on the area where the throttle cable wraps around the throttle tube. I thought maybe that my throttle cable was stretched to begin with because the adjuster was already close to full adjustment prior to touching anything.

·
62 Posts
idk really what to tell you.
i didn't have to adjust my cables more than a few clicks when i did it.

i looked in the service/parts manual though and it looks like there is a similar adjusting device on the end near the gears under the tank though. (for an 04-06) i'm too lazy to go check right now.

my advice would be to check it out a little more thoroughly though, as i doubt the cable has been stretched out more than it can be adjusted, being braided steel and all...

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
like I said you may get a small amount of adjustment from the throttle body end of the cable but the primary adjustment is near the throttle (see 1st pic).
:secret:also it's gonna be a real pita getting to them to do t5he adjusting.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at the throttle body side and I cant see how you could get any adjustment out of it. The nut goes on one side of a metal bracket and the threaded male end on the other side. So when you tighten the nut, it pinches against the bracket. It would have worked if they had placed a nut on each side of the bracket so you can adjust where it pinches.

Thanks for the help!

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
I'm thinking you'd have to put a nut or maybe a couple of washers of your own to get the adjustment out of it.
are you close to getting the tension you need?
are you sure you've adjusted the other end properly?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.