Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Apologies in advance for this newbie question.

My bike only has 6,800 miles on it. I was told my throttle position sensor values were 61 and needs investigation (as I did not trust the shop for reasons of malpractice I took my bike home with me as I did not feel comfortable leaving it with them in case they discovered more problems with it). What does the TPS value of 61 mean please? What would be the symptoms of havin this problem?

My experiences:
I am a second owner. I did notice that the motorbike seems to run really really rich. If I "blip" the throttle once or twice it is fine, but sometimes when I blip it a third or fourth time consecutively the throttle turns as normal but the revs do not rise as quickly, sometimes rising only up to 3-4,000 revs when they should be 8-9,000RPM. The problem is intermittent (does not happen frequently). Is this because of the throttle position value being 61? What should the values be and how can I resolve this issue please?

I am still learning about how to use the diagnostics on the bike so really appreciate you help!

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can download the service manual for your year by clicking the link below. I'm sure there is info on the TPS in there.

www.r1-forum.com/threads/download-r1-service-manuals-here.545105
Thank you for posting. I have a copy and had a read (and reread) before posting, but as I am inexperienced I unfortunately found it little difficult to understand.

I just found a very helpful video on YouTube that might be worth checking out for anyone finding it difficult to understand diagnostics:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
the stock eco has throttle restrictions i believe it only opens to 60 percent up until around 8k rpm then it opens up all the way for a while then i think around 11 or 12k it closes back to 80 percent. if it has a flash or a power commander in it i would look at those settings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your throttle is not opening all the way.
Hi DarkHorse,

Thanks for your response.

The throttle opens all the way and the revs rise to 13,500 RPM while riding fast. Yet, during diagnostic mode the throttle position sensor values show 61. Could this then mean faulty sensor?

What makes it confusing is that I can "blip" the throttle once or twice while in gear with the clutch pulled in to high RPMs, but sometimes when I blip the throttle a third or fourth time the throttle turns all the way to the stop, but but the revs do not rise as high - they only rise to 3-4,000RPM.

The problem is intermittent (does not happen frequently).

Ideas appreciated, I live in London and finding decent genuine mechanics is like finding a unicorn with Pamela Anderson on it.

·
R1.. The fast kind
848 Posts
First of all, it would be good to know what they meant with "61"?

Since there's no fault code 61 the only thing i can associate with is diag code 61 which mean there's a stored fault code in the memory...
(see image below).

Both TPS and APS sensors consist of two potentiometers each (see image below).

Don't know for sure about the TPS but the APS signals are constantly compared by the ECU and if they differ to much the YCCT (throttle driver) goes in to fail safe mode and the engine won't respond, just keep the engine running in idle.

My guess would be the same goes for the TPS but i don't know for a fact.

It's pretty unlikely both circuits break at the same time so i'd probably wouldn't say faulty sensor in the first place.

20191114_072459.jpg

20191114_074240.jpg

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,916 Posts
First of all, it would be good to know what they meant with "61"?

Since there's no fault code 61 the only thing i can associate with is diag code 61 which mean there's a stored fault code in the memory...
(see image below).

Both TPS and APS sensors consist of two potentiometers each (see image below).

Don't know for sure about the TPS but the APS signals are constantly compared by the ECU and if they differ to much the YCCT (throttle driver) goes in to fail safe mode and the engine won't respond, just keep the engine running in idle.

My guess would be the same goes for the TPS but i don't know for a fact.

It's pretty unlikely both circuits break at the same time so i'd probably wouldn't say faulty sensor in the first place.

View attachment 1008987

View attachment 1008986
When in diagnosing mode, the value is suppose to rise up to a certain number beyond 61. If he's only get 61, then his throttle is not opening all the way.

It's been a while since I've went to diag mode but thats my understanding of it.

·
R1.. The fast kind
848 Posts
When in diagnosing mode, the value is suppose to rise up to a certain number beyond 61. If he's only get 61, then his throttle is not opening all the way.

It's been a while since I've went to diag mode but thats my understanding of it.
Ahh, okay.

Yes, the fully open value should be ~100, give and take....(see image)

First check maximum value of the APS (D:14 &15), if they doesn't reach up to recommended maximum values the throttle won't open fully.

If the D: 1 & 13 doesn't reach recommended maximum values, remove tank and airbox lid and check how much the butterflies open. 20191114_094901.png

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe not relevant but do you have a power commander or any fueling device connected to the circuit?
I had the same "issue" where my PC5 was giving me false readings of 53 when fully open however when I disconnected it, it displayed correctly.

·
R1.. The fast kind
848 Posts
Maybe not relevant but do you have a power commander or any fueling device connected to the circuit?
I had the same "issue" where my PC5 was giving me false readings of 53 when fully open however when I disconnected it, it displayed correctly.
Good you brought it up
PC5 have kind of a flaw, depending on if it's power from the main relay or fuel pump relay (like on R1 07-08).

Don't know how the PC5 is powered on the -09 and on...

What happens (to the -07) when ign is turned on the fuel pump is energized for a couple of seconds, then it cut out until starter button is pushed.

That mean the PC5 is powered down (if the engine isn't started emediatly) and when that happen it put out a distorted signal on the gray TPS signal wire which is fed back to the ECU.

Asked Dynojet about it and this was their answer:

-------- Original message ---------

If you have the Power Commandeer fully installed with the GREY TPS signal input wire attached, you should NOT move the throttle grip at all with the bike’s key ON and engine stalled. This is known to cause problems. When you do this the PC5 is not powered up, and the ECU will not see the proper signal voltage. You must only move the throttle with the engine started and running and with the PC5 unit powered up. You must only calibrate the throttle signal in the PC5 software while the engine is running, & fully warmed up, & on a dyno, & in gear, & under load.

‐-------- End message ---------

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all,

Apologies in advance for this newbie question.

My bike only has 6,800 miles on it. I was told my throttle position sensor values were 61 and needs investigation (as I did not trust the shop for reasons of malpractice I took my bike home with me as I did not feel comfortable leaving it with them in case they discovered more problems with it). What does the TPS value of 61 mean please? What would be the symptoms of havin this problem?

My experiences:
I am a second owner. I did notice that the motorbike seems to run really really rich. If I "blip" the throttle once or twice it is fine, but sometimes when I blip it a third or fourth time consecutively the throttle turns as normal but the revs do not rise as quickly, sometimes rising only up to 3-4,000 revs when they should be 8-9,000RPM. The problem is intermittent (does not happen frequently). Is this because of the throttle position value being 61? What should the values be and how can I resolve this issue please?

I am still learning about how to use the diagnostics on the bike so really appreciate you help!

Thank you.
Too rich in 0-1000 range in pcv

1 - 16 of 16 Posts