Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to move the throttle cables from the stock position underneath the brake master to overhead pretty much since Day 1 of owning this bike. Dave Moss talked about it here:

2015 R1 case study | Dave Moss Tuning

The tricky part is making a hole for the housing in the bar. I had to use a Dremel as there is very limited space to get a drill bit in there to push a hole in the bar. The stock hole is facing inward and the new hole faces downward. I thought I could get the brake master to rotate further down but the brake line will not allow the rotation much more than a few mm.

My Brake lever is now rotated to the point just before the brake line touches the fork leg and I'm happy with the position as it is an improvement for me ergonomic wise.

The throttle seems to move and return smoothly and even though I really didn't have much problems with the stock cable route in terms of binding I think this is the way to go.

What really sold me on the mod was when I saw the 2017 R6 with its throttle cable in the upper position.

All in all its not a major change but it helps a bit. What really burns my arse is how Yamaha makes any changes almost impossible with the stock parts. Its got such a limited adjustment range to almost be like "tough shiit you ain't moving these" from the stock positions. It should be engineered with a bit of adjustment room I figure.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
the damn pinch bolt on the upper tripple is in the way of riser bars too. cant install any kind of riser clip ons on this bike. it will either hit the clamp bolt or the fairing.

·
Unacceptable
1,276 Posts
I removed the sleeve that fits around the peg on the brake line banjo bolt. This allowed me to rotate the front brake line and in turn rotate the MC down a couple more mm's (I'd like a little more though). But the brake line now contacts the upper fork leg.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
After hearing about helibars working for the 15-20 R1s i ordered a set and will put them on. Im in the same boat with having to accelerate trying to grab the brake even with rotating as far as i could, the lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts