Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here,:) I never had an R1, but I've own a few bikes before: 929s, GSX-R 1000s, ZX-10R, and a Duke 998. I just picked up my 08 R1 a week ago, now @ 520 miles I've noticed rapid ticks between 2500 and 3500 rpm, it almost sounds like valve noise. Is that normal for R1s? I'll mention it to the Dealer when I go in for the 600 miles service, I just want some feed back from all you R1 gurus out there. Thanks guys.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
That seems to be a common thing with the R1's and R6's. My '07 R1 does it, and so did my '01 R6 when I had it.

·
Pro Bench Racer
19 Posts
Don't worry about it. My '07 R1 does it too. My '05 R6 did too but I got used to it. The guy I sold it to called me today asking about it. I guess I was so used to it I forgot!

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
it's a normal. not all R1s and R6s have the tick, but many do.

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
Welcome!
Congrats on your purchase! :riding :thumbup

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 06 R1 and had an 02 R1, 2000 R6. They all ticked in fact I put 55,000 miles on my 02 R1 and never had a problem with the engine (never had valves adjusted at 24,000 miles either).

·
When in Doubt , Flat Out
59 Posts
hey

im now resigned to the fact that mine also ticks the same as yours . I try not to think about it but my 06 is pretty noisy tick tick tick .

It has also ticked from about 400kms onwards

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
I must be lucky, no noises at all. 2,300 miles :bow
Or something is wrong... :fact :)

Has your mechanic got a box of spare parts after your last service? :crash

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:rock

Welcome and Congrats on your purchase.

Respect her is all I can say and you'll have fun.

Back to ticking, I will take a :nforc: in the dark.

I didn't expierience a ticking as such what I did realise just after I got the bike is that on lower RPM the motor "pings" which sounds a bit like ticking when I filled up with lower octane fuel.

I do not know what your octane levels there are. Here in-land it's 93 and 95 and down by the coast you get 98. Not all garages stocked 95 and I think I got the bike new with some 93 octane.

I read up a bit and thinking in hind-sight it's actualy quite logic that such a high performance machine needs proper fuel. Soon after I got it I started filling up with 95 Shell V-Power and voila - no more "pinging"

I hope I am on the right track, my first service sorted out the other little problems I had, I fitted GYTR slip ons / filter and she is furious :scared

Enjoy it !!!

:rock Ride Safe & Respect the beast :fork

:boobies Rule !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.