Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about TRYING to TIG weld my own pipes. I was also wondering about where I can buy just the muffler canisters. Another thing, what are the materials of most motorcycle piping? I know automobiles are usually 321 or 304 Stainless for high quality piping, but I don't know what kind of metals the motorcycle piping usually are. I have 250DX (max 300amp output and watercooled torch) TIG welder and it should be able to weld almost anything. I have welded aluminum, steel, and SS steel. I have yet to try titanium.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
You could amke em out of Stainless, but Titanium is best left ot guys with lots of experience.
However a method i have used is to fab it up in mild steel and then find someone who does Ti and get them to replicate it.
As far as making the pipes, its mostly a mater of buying bent tubes and cutting them to fabricate what you need.

IOts not all that difficult, but if your looking to make headers , then the collector is the hardest part.
A lot of times in the past, the guys who i worked with at the shop in florida would "Salvage" collectors and the like from other systems, rather than make their own.
As far as cans go, just make end caps and then wrap them with your choice of material.
It's not easy, and it's usually not as pretty as something you bought, but if your going custom, then sometimes it's the only way.

Ceramic coating is a great way to hide ugly pipes!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the reply R1Budha. I have another question for anyone. Maybe I need to check my material books (if there's any information). But I know SS Steel retains heat better than steel, now, does Titanium retain heat better than stainless steel??? Of course, I would want the material that insulates better. Of course also, titanium is lighter than stainless steel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just learned that titanium acts like aluminum in that the heat transfer through the metal is quicker. I need to check the properties more closely. I have a feeling stainless steel might just hold the heat in better. I could of course ceramic coat the titanium piping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts