Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking to part ex my Husqvarna Nuda 900 for a Yam R1 in the next few weeks. However after researching the newer models, 2009 onwards, these seem to have the new Crossplane Crankshaft. For me, personally I just dislike the sound of the newer models so I'm looking for a 2007/8 model. Is there anything I need to be wary of before purchasing the older models or why I should avoid them?

The Nuda is a nice ride, just where I'm from a nightmare to service/maintain.

Any info much appreciated,

Cheers

· Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Firstly Welcome

the 2007/2008 are a great bike the biggest issue I had with mine was the starter clutch failed but that was an easy fix and cheap apart and the stator magnets failed that was all they are a tuff bike

· I VOID WARRANTIES
174 Posts
welcome blazer....

love my 08 and the smooth high rev sound but I think the crossplane sounds like muscle.

the 07 08 models are often considered one of the best body styles of all bikes from what ive seen and I must agree.

the research I did when getting my 08 revealed starter issues and a cam chain tensioner that soon allowed clacking sounds at start up, (easy fix) but the biggest design fault was more in the 07 model more than the 08 model even though they are identical designs, the valves construction was in question and could cause valve failure very soon even if not beaten but they seem to have addressed the issue in early 08 which is why I made sure I bought the 08 lol.

if the 07 or 08 has 5000mi or more the valve issue is unlikely.

in general they are very tuff bikes.

· Johannesburg, South-Africa
913 Posts
I have an 08 and love it... I didnt know much about the R1's when I was looking for mine, just like you are now. In 2013 I was looking for something new that wouldnt give any problems, but I also didnt like the sound of a ducati on a jap bike. So I got the 08, but since then I must admit that its grown on me.

All years R1's have issues, but the most sought after models are the 07-08 for various reasons.

My advice would be to go for the 08, its cheap and cheap to mod with allot of power!

· Blue, you're my boy!
1,567 Posts
welcome. love my 07. had to have the ecu swapped under warranty. other than that the only issues i have had are tps glitches. i need to replace it again but ive ridden the s**t ou t of the bike since 07 and it still puts a smile on my face. no rear chicken strips on stock suspension settings. handles as well as a street bike can.

· "What"
2,325 Posts
I'd personally consider the 04-06 model due to the fact that it looks clean without too much going on where the other models seem to be more ****ed up looking but i am bias due to the fact that i've owned 2 04-06 models. Haven't had any real problems with either bike,one connector on my current bike caused the headlights to work but cleaning fixed it.

No matter what year you buy,you'll never ride the bike to 100% ability.

· Registered
8 Posts
Seen where your stator failed. Got an 05 R1 with issues starting. Like as if the battery's dead. But its a brand new battery. Not sure if its the stator or rectifier. Did you diagnose it yourself (if so what were the symptoms) or did you take it to a shop? Just don't want to spend allot of wasted money on unneeded parts. Thanks Micah

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.