Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· slowest rider ..rides in front
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the more we ride we get better .. but since we don't go down all the time and can not learn from experience .. anyone w/ great tips besides hold on to dear life:D

· A cultural ****-up
62 Posts
The one thing that 7 years of racing motocross and 17 years of riding dirtbikes has taught me, is when and how to jump clear of your bike when your going down.

Jump behind the bike if you can, you dont want 360+ lbs of metal landing on your back.

and try not to roll, thats what causes most broken bones. Slide along the ground if you can.

· My R1 ate my R6
2,536 Posts
Robert R1 that is hilarious!!!:lol :lol :lol

It was really nice to read that after all of the pissed off insurance threads. Thank you.

--Zoom

· Do or do not, there is no try
2,670 Posts
Remember to actually slide if you fall and not start rolling. Sliding will hurt on one area (not 2 much hopefully if that area is covered in leathers ) while rolling gets you out of control, you can't see what you might hit while rolling and you leave yourself open to broken bones and stuff.

· Registered
120 Posts
dnszoom said:
Yeah, clear all limbs from the bike... you don't want to become part of the motorcycle mass. Your leathers will slow you down faster than your fairing.
that is just what i didnt do, my leg got into the rear wheel and broke just above my ancles. Then my whole heel was pulvrisized, like Sahara sand the doctor said. And for last, my skelettons that goes down to the toes was crushed.

So now im full with titanium.

So next time i want make some sparkles ill just put my heel down,hehehee

have to make jokes about it anyway.

peace:)

· Yamaha DOMINATES.....
130 Posts
...alot of you guys are saying DO NOT ROLL, only slide but I heard different. They say, when you LOW SIDE try to lay flat on your back with as much body part to the ground so you could slide to a quick stop. And when HIGH SIDE roll as fast as you can because guess what is chasing after you, ready to smash you to pieces? Duh, your very own bike... I think I learned this from MSF,not sure though

· Phoenix to L.A. in 3 hours...
2,818 Posts
I live in Phoenix, this summer when i get my bike it will like 100+ out, i cant wear leathers or ill die :ugh of heat exaustion. Any ideas or had i better just hope i dont fall?:bash

· My R1 keeps me up at night
71 Posts
I just bought one of the Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets (with the mesh). It seems like it wouldn't protect you, but I've heard from three separate sources that people have gone down in them and the jackets and the body parts inside of it, held up just fine. Didn't rip or tear at all. Hopefully I'll never find out, but I live here in Texas and I HAD to find an alternative to leather during the summer. Hope this helps!:cool:

· Premium Member
6,305 Posts
Twisted Logic said:
Also,relax your body. You are less likely to get hurt if you are relaxed
sure, no problem relaxing while crashing @ 140 lol :lol

Anyhow, when I crashed of the slapper @ 110 mph I was actually very calm and I was ready to take the hit. Not scared at all.. just KNEW I would go down and though "alright.. I'm going to crash. Let's see how I should land this thing. Oh.. okay. that was my head hitting the asphalt. Okay, now let's try keeping my arms in so I don't wobble around to much and maybe brake something. Oh, pull in those legs too. Hate to brake a leg. Wooh.. what a ride. Hmm, that's weird. it is green here. Ah. I'm in the ditch, 10 meters down. I guess i'm lucky. Let's go up and look at the highway to see the bike. OUCH!! that hurt. I can't walk. I CAN'T WALK. Oh no. Some people are walking here. They must've stayed. Oh no! I wheelied past that guy. that guy too. Oh oh. Ahhh. he said he phoned 112 and that the ambulance is on the way. Great! WROOM! I heard. That was my brother passing by on the high way. I gotta wave to him so he see me. HEEELLO.. I waved. Woo he stayed. Why is he pointing that way...? Oh.. my bike is THERE. Not on the the highway. Why is the bike so far away and in the ditch looking like that. It's got grass tuck inside the tire. HAHA. looks funny that bike. Will miss it.. cuz I sure won't ride that thing again for quite some time. OH! There's the ambulance. Hi guys. Time to lay down on that "thing" there.. ? yup.. guess so. Ouch! I can't move. I need help.. oooh. Now I like ambulances more than before. This ambulance is nice. Kind guy sitting next to me.. saying how he like sportbikes but think they are too dangerous.. I wonder why he think that. hehe. ... oh well. Time to rest........."

That really is pretty much what I thought... funny heh :)

· Home Track Qualified
898 Posts
That is a good story Sweedie:yesnod When sliding on your back, allways remember just before you stop to plant one of your feet and stand up, like a baseball player sliding into third. When you can finish a crash with style like that you know you're a pro!!:iamwithst

· slowest rider ..rides in front
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LINK80Reid said:
I live in Phoenix, this summer when i get my bike it will like 100+ out, i cant wear leathers or ill die :ugh of heat exaustion. Any ideas or had i better just hope i dont fall?:bash
try some Dainese gear that you can wear under your clothing .. don't know much about it but it'll probably save you some skin

· you can't have my last beer
3,583 Posts
mbam said:
When sliding on your back, allways remember just before you stop to plant one of your feet and stand up, like a baseball player sliding into third. When you can finish a crash with style like that you know you're a pro!!:iamwithst

I did that last time I went down after I locked up the front brakes on my F2. I stood up and watched my bike keep sliding onto oncomming traffic and into the grass on the other side. Luckily, I was near my buddies bike shop. Duct taped it back up to ride it back home.

It's amazing what you can do with popcycle sticks and epoxy glue when you don't have money to buy new fairings. I was always good at puzzles as a kid, go figure.

· Señor Citizen
20,295 Posts
learn Aikido.

The acient art of falling over, or being thrown.

I started learning it when 'I' brought my first bike, 'bout ten years back.

it's not I have fallen once and have used what I learnt.

Just don't tell the instructor that's why you are learning it.

· Registered
190 Posts
A friend of mine then an owner of a GSXR 1100 (now a GSXR 1000 will he never learn) got into a tank slapper @ 110 mph the bike spat him off and he remembers holding his arse off the ground with his hands while sliding down the road (he only had combat trousers on), then this bike screaming past him and thinking F**K somebody’s overtaking me on a bike! His own bike had straightened up and came past him! His Suzi then run a pedestrian over further down the road. When he stopped sliding he stood up and his combat trousers fell down :butt due to being worn all the way through.

He has some nasty nasty skin grafts :ugh and a few weeks in hospital. The nurses scrubbed his arse with rough brush to clean all the dirt imbedded in his flesh; the pain from this was so bad he passed out.

Moral of this story is never do stupid speeds without leather on your rear!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.