Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it is getting to be that time again, at least for those of us that have cold winters, I thought it would be a good time for all of us to share any tips we may have on winterizing our bikes.

Let me see, I don't really have to many. Since my bike stays in a garage I try to never "park it for the winter". If it gets nice I like to take it for a quick ride. If I can't do that I will start the bike and let it run for awhile. I ususally put gas preservative in it if I'll be letting it sit for an extended period of time. One guy told me he covers his bike in WD-40 to keep things from rusting then washes it down come spring time. Anybody ever do this or hear of anyone doing it? I also make sure my tires stay off the ground by parking on either a carpet mat or cardboard.

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
My brother-in-law does the WD-40 thing, and it seems to work; he keeps his bike outside in a carport, though, so he may need it more. I put the gas stabilizer in and run it long enough to be sure it has filled the carbs. My bike is already ornery starting and warming up when it's cold; I don't know if I'll be able to start it periodically over the winter. Anyone else already winter their 2000 R1 in an unheated garage in a Canadian winter?

·
Pixie Dust Spreader
330 Posts
Now that I live in Phoenix, I don't have to worry about winters cause I'll be riding all winter. But before I moved here I lived in Kansas (near kansas city) and for the winter, I would take the bike completly apart, drain all fluids, brought everything into my basement, and then polished everything. (that was my 9R) it kept me busy for almost the whole winter.

later

·
Yes, It's true, blue is faster
8,163 Posts
I start it at least once every 2 weeks. If the roads are dry, I'll take it for a spin around the block to get things flowing.

·
The plane will fly! :fact
7,127 Posts
I ride mine year round, except when there's actually ice on the ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts