Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nice Rear... Set.
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have an '02 R1 Yam and Track Day in Phoenix is a bit rough on the tires, SO... Even though I've been running Dunlops for the last four five years as they seem to be standard Yam equipment, does anyone have an experience where they tried a different brand and were blown away at the grip and wear combination? Right now I have the 208's that are standard issue with the bike. I've run GP's but they don't last long enough and now that I'm in Phoenix instead of Northern California :cryin , I'm there just aren't that many curves! I haven't developed any "riding habits" here yet but I suspect a long road trip or two isn't out of the question. Thanks for the input.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I like the Diablo Coras as a great street/track tire. Definitely feel better than the Dunlop 208. I was blown away by their performance, but I doubt they wear all that great for normal use...

- BA

·
My R1 is really an FZR
101 Posts
what about a good street tire? i havn't been dragging my knee or anything (yet) and my rear tire is starting to act a little squirly from al the miles i put on it. looking for a reasonably sticky tire that'll last a while.

thinkin of tryin the metzlers

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
M1s are also great tires... They have plenty of grip to drag knees to your hearts content. I find the corsas a much better track tire (ran m1s on the track once and they started getting really squirmy after a few hot laps on a 100 deg day), but the M1s are cheaper and offer more than enough grip for the street.

- BA

·
WTF!
510 Posts
I put BT020's on my 02 r1 after the d208's started showing thread at 3500 miles, I don't know how long the tires would have lasted on the r1 since I totalled it at 7500miles (not becasue of the tires either). The BT020's are standard on FZ1's. I got 9000 miles on the original ones for my fz1. I never had any unpurposeful slipping but I wasn't dragging knees or pegs, just toes on my big ass feet. I now have D220's on my fz1 and would proabbly switch back to the BT020's.

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
I love the Corsa's. Not to good of tread life, but that is not important to me...I beat them up all spring and summer and fall, and just kill them late fall with a nice burn out.....I like to replace my tires every winter.

It's only a few bills, and every one must have at least one hobby right?

With the money that :boobies spends on "scrapbooking" I could buy me 5 sets of corsa's in one year anyway, so I do not feal guilty.

·
Nice Rear... Set.
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help.

The majority of the replies have been Corses, so I'll give them a whack! Thanks.:hellobye Oh, and if you're going to say goodbye and let them see you leaving, at least give them something to remember you by! "goodbye" :butt

Attachments

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I've been running Metzler Rennsports and I love them. I use the RS1 (soft) in the front and RS2 (Medium) rear. Also, I'm using a 190/55 rear (instead of the standard 190/50). Used them on both the canyons and track (where I do all my riding) and they are awesome. In the canyons, I'm only getting about 1,500 to 1,700 miles on the rear. But then again, that's all I ever get on a rear tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts