Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at my tires, ive noticed i seem to wear the back tire considerably further over than the front. tire pressures are correct, and this is all street miles so far. ive yet to have any real track time, so im sure my riding style can be improved on, but i was just wondering if this is due to just not turning in very hard or what. The rears are worn to the point of no "chicken strip" what so ever.....lil michelin men scrubbed off of a set of pilot powers. but where as im using 95+% of the rear tire, it only seems like im using 85% of the front tire so to speak. also for what its worth, we dont have a lot of really tight lower speed (1-2nd gear) corners......its mostly higher speed stuff.

whats made me question this is that im leaning far enough that i feel like given proper gear, i would have a knee down. ive had my left foot hit the ground a few times.....but still the front doesnt seem as worn as i would think it would be.

anyway....just curious. figured id ask here since most everyone that rides here is more concerned with hard parking than actually riding.

·
Always getting faster...
1,205 Posts
I would guess that the difference is because the rear tire has a shallower profile than the front tire.

·
BAMF
151 Posts
Normal for street riding, don't sweat it. The rear tire is flatter as opposed to the front. The very outer few millimeters of my fronts only get scrubbed during aggresive street riding. The track is a different thing, you can scrub the edges safely there. I hope the comment about people here are more concerned w/hard parking than riding is referring to the area you live and not the members on the forum.
Be around to enjoy our sport, ride safe. Highwayman

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,077 Posts
highwayman said:
Normal for street riding, don't sweat it. The rear tire is flatter as opposed to the front. The very outer few millimeters of my fronts only get scrubbed during aggresive street riding. The track is a different thing, you can scrub the edges safely there. I hope the comment about people here are more concerned w/hard parking than riding is referring to the area you live and not the members on the forum.
Be around to enjoy our sport, ride safe. Highwayman
Yep, I agree. Dont sweat it. That is normal to have a larger chicken strip in front than in rear. Going to the track will cut it down significantly. I am not positive what has direct effect on it. But it seems from my limited track experience the crazier the entry speed the less strip left on the front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts