Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· TOUCHDOWN, YANKEES!
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to a titanium front sprocket this guy is selling I thought was interesting

What are your guys thoughts on these...? Worth it, useless, genius, snake-oil, etc...

· Δt → 0 ⇒ v̅ → |v̅
897 Posts
Do you guys think a standard chain would work ok with these or would the friction wear the chain or sprockets out you think from the two different metals? Food for thought :corn

· Δt → 0 ⇒ v̅ → |v̅
897 Posts
the 2 different metals will not have an impact to friction wear
Do you think the titanium would last as long as a steel sprocket and be as durable? I wouldn't spend that much on a sprocket, but then again compulsive buying happens sometimes :crash :shake

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
The price doesn't seem to be out of line. Titanium is not cheap and the Aerospace industry uses a boat load of it which keeps the price pretty high. I am just not sure the weight savings are worth it at the front sprocket unless you have already done everything else (and there is a lot to do) and are looking for that last couple of ounces.

· TOUCHDOWN, YANKEES!
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, price is one of the things that I'm thinking about.
If these last longer than steel and are lighter... is that worth it?
Kind of sounds like they don't and it isn't, but the actual weight data would be useful/helpful.

I think I'll e-mail the producer asking for specs on weight.

· Δt → 0 ⇒ v̅ → |v̅
897 Posts
Also ask them if they last as long as steel and are as durable. If they are I might consider being one of the first to try it out because I need new sprockets and chain. Plus what chain they recommend for these sprockets. 530 17t 47t and I prefer D.I.D. chains thanks manzz!!! :thumbup

One more thing. I would be daily street use which = lost of abuse

· TOUCHDOWN, YANKEES!
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Upon e-mailing him, this was the response I received without getting specific numbers (weight), which he has stated is on his to-do list and he will get to shortly.

"Our titanium sprockets last as long as steel but weigh about
the same as aluminum ones. I am attaching a pic of my personal sprocket
with 8000 miles on it so you can see how little wear there is."

Hmm... I certainly wouldn't buy anything until I had some more solid numbers such as weight and average lifespan.

Sure makes sense that titanium would be of higher quality (there's a reason they use it for aerospace tech), but that doesn't mean these specific sprockets are necessarily of higher quality or worth the money in any sense.

Attachments

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Upon e-mailing him, this was the response I received without getting specific numbers (weight), which he has stated is on his to-do list and he will get to shortly.

"Our titanium sprockets last as long as steel but weigh about
the same as aluminum ones. I am attaching a pic of my personal sprocket
with 8000 miles on it so you can see how little wear there is."

Hmm... I certainly wouldn't buy anything until I had some more solid numbers such as weight and average lifespan.

Sure makes sense that titanium would be of higher quality (there's a reason they use it for aerospace tech), but that doesn't mean these specific sprockets are necessarily of higher quality or worth the money in any sense.
i think it kinda weird that he is selling a product with no real info. just a pic of a sprocket that supposedly has 8000 miles on it. i think i'd pass on this and probly stick to brands i know. i'm not really a gambling man when it comes to the chain and the sprockets.

· TOUCHDOWN, YANKEES!
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think it kinda weird that he is selling a product with no real info. just a pic of a sprocket that supposedly has 8000 miles on it. i think i'd pass on this and probly stick to brands i know. i'm not really a gambling man when it comes to the chain and the sprockets.
I would say it depends on how long he's been in business for.

Less than 6 months, I can understand.
Several years? Yeah, he damn-well should have some info up by now.

· TOUCHDOWN, YANKEES!
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Umm, do any other sprocket manufacturers list weight (or expected/average km's of use)?
Weight? Yes.

Expected life? No, because it's already well established - steel lasts pretty long depending on how aggressive you are as a rider, aluminum doesn't so much.

However, for a new product that nobody's ever heard of, I feel it's somewhat warranted. I sure as hell would if I was touting that my product was better than what was out there, I'd want to do my best to prove it to the best of my ability through customer experiences.

· TOUCHDOWN, YANKEES!
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· O'Gradys Paint
1,282 Posts
The point is manufactures don't post weight specs (hopefully that's been made clear to you now). Search 2 minutes or 2 hours.

This is true for carbon bodywork as well. If a distributer decides to weigh 1 set vs. another then that's up to them, but it's not to be expected....

We should not be ranting and raving about these sprockets when it comes to weight and wear anymore than you would question a set of bodywork for weight or crash durability. If you can't trust them go with the brand name...end thread.

BTW aluminum vortex has the absolute worst wear properties of anything out there...and the ignorant still choose to run them...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.