Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a toby damper for my r-1.The damn instructions are confusing,can someone who has installed one give me some help?

·
04 R1......Enjoy the ride!
471 Posts
Pretty straight forward on a 99 R1. If the same, the main bracket mounts in front of the steering head down on that thin flat area in front and below the triple clamp (connects the frame to the area behind the headlights) and the handle bars and triple clamp must be removed to mount the ring bracket around the right fork. The damper sits on top of the center mount for the main bracket in front of the head. A bit tricky, you might want a second set of hands to help get the triple clamp lined up over the forks when reassembling. Hope this helps !

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts
Have you tried doing a search on toby dampers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it installed.Think i"m going to have to decrease the distance between the fork clamp.Calls for 97mm(1.8in.)and i have about 1.7 in.That is to make sure the damper is level right?Getting the 2mm set is tricky.I have very little clearance at right lock and hitting just as the left locks.Still not sure why you guys said to remove the handle bars and triple clamp,mine came with a two piece fork clamp.Did you have to take the triple clamp off to slide a one piece fork clamp on the tube?I ground down a 5mm allen wrench to get to the side ball joint bolt head.I appreciate the fellas.

·
04 R1......Enjoy the ride!
471 Posts
My 99 didn't have a 2 piece fork clamp so you get off easy! Otherwise, you would have to remove the bar and triple clamp to slide the fork ring onto the fork. Damper works very well too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts