Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up everybody? I need to know the top speed on r1's. And is there a website that has sportbike speed comparisons. I found one awhile back but I lost it. Show some luv and help a r1 forum brotha out Im new here.:D :D

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
I dont know the website but :machinegu WELCOME :machinegu . Mine has shown 186 indicated so drop probably 8-10% from that to get actual

·
no refunds allowed
79 Posts
I am not sure what this would be, but I was 5th gear WOT at Redline on the front straight of TWS Raceway.. no idea what it was.. no speedo :cool:

Anyone care to guess what the speed may have been?

·
slowest rider ..rides in front
1,148 Posts
I see the :bs flag is working just fine :D

my tach was reading 179 mph ... what a rush :yesnod

·
Registered
148 Posts
no way to tell

the answer to your question is there is no way to tell, there are to many verriable involved ie, your wieght, the wind speed and direction, tep. of pavement, ect. there is an elgebretic formulation involved in calcalating the exact speed of any given vehical, but really all it will tell you is terminal villocity ( the speed @ witch the power of your bike is overcome by wind resistance) or you could finde a stretch of deserted strait road and c how fast that motha will run!

·
Really?
208 Posts
ShawnR1, wind will have no effect on speed at a given RPM. Unless the tire (or clutch) is slipping, but that would take a hurricane...

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
Ummmm. Wind certainly has an effect on speed. A tailwind will increase your speed and a headwind will slow you down. The sidewind just blows you off into the trees. That's why we have fairings. Think of the fun you could have in a vacuum. (No, not a Hoover)

There are many things that effect the maximum speed of you and your bike. The bike needs a rider, so an R1 by itself doesn't go anywhere. Speed = 0. Most of these involve the air and how efficiently a vehicle displaces it. Density, wind speed, temperature, wind direction, etc. Ram air would probably slow you down at the top end. Why do cars go so much faster than bikes given the weight to power ratios? Because they are much more aerodynamically clean. Yes, the R1 is fast but I love these bikes for the way they rip through turns. Top speed is for the Hayabusa and the ZX-12. My friends who own those bikes can't begin to keep up with me until we get on the interstate.

The best way to determine your max speed is with a GPS. It will track it and you can look at it later. My speedo once read 170 and the GPS said 158.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
250km/h

hehe.. I never got to go any faster.. I didn't wanna. I didn't have full gear on.

Will go faster next season. I have to :yesnod

·
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well another reason I was askin was because my friend has a (can I say this on the r1 forum?)ZX-9r 1996, you know the boat anchor and I know for a fact it is stock except for the D&D slip-on, but he thing is faassst. I would not think that he could keep up but he can, except when we are cornering at high speeds.:rock when we hit corners IT'S A WRAP. but then he is right there with me:eek: :eek:

·
Really?
208 Posts
SmokeEater, what I wrote was that wind has nothing to do with what speed you´re doing at a given RPM in a given gear. If you´re at the redline in fifth you will be going a certain speed, no matter which way the wind blows. I´d say that redline in fifth would be about 260 km/h (speedo reading, not actual speed).
Oh, 260 km/h is about 160 mph.

·
something like a pimp
598 Posts
a head wind would slow you down. Your motor would have to have more power to over come the increased resistance. Like sliding on water and ice. Equal force on water and ice, which will slide farther? Which can slide faster? All you do is change resistance.:sleep

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
What you are talking about is gear ratios. This formula involves RPM, tire size, gear ratios. I guess what I should have said was " No ****, really?" You can change your gear ratio to get a mathematically faster bike, but a major factor in determining the maximum speed of the vehicle is the drag coefficient. This is the reason the Hayabusa is faster than the ZX-12. You eventually get to a point where you will be losing speed despite being faster on paper because the bike can no longer overcome its own drag.

·
Leaving You In The Dust
15 Posts
Factory performance for a 1998 YZF-R1

Measured top speed: 168 mph

0-1/4 mile: 10.19 sec. @ 137.40 mph

0-60 mph: 2.96 sec.

0-100 mph: 5.93 sec.

60-0 mph: 113.9'

Power-to-weight ratio: 1:3.49

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drag Coef

What is the drag coefficient of an R1 or any bike for that matter?

A Viper has a drag coefficient of .40, would a bike be better or worse?
:2bitchsla

·
494 Posts
189 in both directions; tailwind and headwind; with heavy leather jacket or light textile mesh jacket. don't matter because it seem like bike is programmed at factory to not go faster than 189. won't redline either.
riding 04 and 06

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.