Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Largin it and lovin it !
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as we all new. Tose will ride for the cloggies next year. He must be chuffed. The Honda was spot on in the second half of the season. I'm sure it will be a lot easier to set up than the awkward 999.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is good news, He was obviousely struggeling on the 999 this year and a rider with his skill should be able to get the best from the Honda and an outfit like Ten Kate. Ducati's loss I'd say.

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Extremley talented young rider that couldnt get it right this season,all the best to him next year and hopefully(for his confidence sake) that he can get back up top:yesnod (well,not higher than the aussies anyway:lol )

-Pete:thumbup

·
Registered
16 Posts
With Bayliss returning to WSB it should be a cracking season next year. Can't wait to see him and Toseland going at it, not in a gay way though.

Maybe Balyliss can get better results out of the 999 than Toseland could. I hope so for his sake.

·
Biaggi:`WTF? Rossis behind me`
321 Posts
3Sixty said:
That is good news, He was obviousely struggeling on the 999 this year and a rider with his skill should be able to get the best from the Honda and an outfit like Ten Kate. Ducati's loss I'd say.
Yeah ill say!
The 999 is a piece of shit, sure it managed to win a couple this year, i guess it can go well at some tracks,

But that bike is developed to the max!

the 4's are gona blow them away next year, and one of them will be Toseland for sure!!!

He could maybe regain his crown!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If Ten Kate were seriously thinking about winning next year they would have signed Laconi rather than Toseland. I'm sorry I'm not convinced that Toseland is this great rider that the UK press tries to make him out to be. He seems far to fragile mentally. Yes he took the SBK title last year but it's not like he dominated and controlled it like Corser, Hodgson, Edwards, Bayliss, etc..... before him did. He really kind of backed into it as one or two less crashes from Laconi or mechanical DNFs from Haga and the out come would have been different. With the exception of 2003 he has been out ridden by his teammate. Laconi out rode him both this year and last. And while not convinced that Lansi is the savoir Ducati is looking for, he also out rode toseland the moment he got the factory bike

For sure there is something to be said for being consistant, but in the face is strong competition that doesn't instantly mean a title (just ask Colin about that). Yes toseland is young but he could be another in a long line of young riders who "has" the potential to be great but never becomes more than just another rider making up the pack.

I'm not anti-Toseland (though they way he runs his mouth sometimes gets on my nerves) just not convinced that he should be put in the same league as the likes of Foggarty or even Hodgson for that matter. Those two were expected to win and win they did. The same can't be said for Toseland

·
Largin it and lovin it !
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 999 seems to be a bike that some riders can get along with, such as Laconi, Lanziand Xaus(despite a few crashes). Other riders like Toseland and Chilli never have been able to get a good feeling from the 999 as they did with the 998. Chilli gave up with it in the end if you remember. Hodgson was never that confident in the front end of the 999 in it's first year and he struggled in the second half of his championship winning year once Xaus had figured out a good setup.

I dont believe Toseland is fragile mentally. His win in the final round last year shows that. But, he hasn't got the ultimate ability of a Vermeulen.

Next year will without doubt be a corker.I'm missing the racing already.

·
Registered
57 Posts
to be fair to the 999 Xaus crashes on everything!:D but I know what you mean people taking to the bike.

What I meant about Toseland is that he doesn't seem to have that toughness to where he can ride the bike when it really isn't working good. I don't know if it was him or the press, but that whole thing about "the team not being behind him" well that just made me sick. ducati wants to win period. If it's an italian great but if not whomever gives them the best chances of winning is who they focus on.

from the start Laconi showed he adapted to and was faster on the 999 than Toseland. Laconi's problem is that he crashed to much (which is the same thing he did in MotoGP). There is no doubt Xaus was fast on the Ducati, but again the crashing is what kills his title shots. Toseland seems to me to pout a bit to much when he isn't winning, and then when the pressure gets on he will turn it up briefly because he has a chip on his shoulder. He needs to figure out how to constantly have a chip on his shoulder so that he is always riding like a title is on the line.

Again I don't know how much of it was James or the press, but all the excuses for why we wasn't winning or even being competative most of the time quickly wore thin on me and made me lose a lot of respect for him. If going to Ten Kate is the answer, I don't know. But no doubt next year should be interesting in SBK.

honestly I'd like to see Laconi replace Pitt at Yamaha. At least I'd know Laconi would win a few races between his crashes!

and since I mentioned the press, I think this year was one of the worse for SBK commentators, which is sad because they usually do a great job. They spent to much time saying why Chris V should be in MotoGP, or Toseland wasn't winning that they missed a lot of the action. At times they just sounded stupid especially at the end of the season.

Troy put the title away early and even Chris knew Troy would have to have a total meltdown for him to win the title. The simple fact of the matter was based on results, up until Assen Troy had been on the poduim every round of the season and was the best rider of the year. No doubt Chris found form and rode great from Assen on and was "the" rider, but Lanzi well.....geez 2 rides doesn't make him the creem of the crop. But during their praise of all things Lanzi they completely forgot to notice Haga's form from Race 2 at Brno through the rest of the year. Not only 2 wins but a podium every race except when Pitt took him out at Magny Cours. 9 poduims from 11 races is nothing to sleep on but those guys didn't even seem to notice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts