Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
I typically just start my days riding around but if my friends start leaving me behind, I try to figure out what it is that they know that I haven't quite got sorted out yet. I'll work on things incrementally.

·
What? Did I do that? Who me??
2,854 Posts
First session I try to get a feel for the surface.. who's out there..what speeds people are going..

Next sessions I'll work on getting up to speed.. when I'm close to my personal best, I'll work on sections of the track or bike setup.. the second to last session is where I try to pull my best times.. Last session is to relax and turn consistent lap times, in my comfort zone..

In the mix is spending time with friends getting them up to speed or trying to keep up with them..

·
The Patient
1,643 Posts
i set a goal for the year time wise for a particular track, but i work on 1 thing at a time and 1 turn at a time,

1 session ill dedicate to braking as late as possible 1 turn at a time,

then another session ill dedicate to putting on as much power as possible as early as posibble during track out

then another for proper turn in points etc etc

then the last couple of sessions ill try and tie it all together and usually im a bit faster...

next year ill be working on cornerspeed, i really need cornerspeed, one of my buds is a racer, and hes followed me around and told me that i have about 2-3 seconds safely in cornerspeed ( in otherwords im a bitch in the corners),
which would put me at a decent 1:58 at tws

But i would still not say you need a system right away , because just riding around the fast guys and getting lots of seat time will make you faster by itself,

·
AFTERHELLBURNER
1,725 Posts
last time I went it was all about braking. Going into T1 at roebling I would get off the gas at 160-70 at #5 brake marker then brake at 4. By the end of the day I was doing the same at #3 & #2 but I dont have the balls to try it at #1. Next time I hope to get my lap time 1:22 on pilot powers down to 1:20

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
I pretty much do all of the above. I cannot get enough of it.

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
Well, I just try not to crash in turn 8. :bash It's got me twice...

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
I never thought it about it that hard.. I just go and go fast..

·
Fear Nothing, Risk Everything
5,767 Posts
me personally, i do it for fun.

i just like the fact that its a control environment and theres no cars around:fact

but, i do try to change my body position to make me faster

·
chicken strips w honey mustard
1,220 Posts
Nice thread guys

Looking forward to Jennings in Feb.
No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,

thanks Randy...

·
More gas!
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet. A lot of people here said they do practice things one step at a time which is great. Most often people try to work on too many things at once. I usually break it down to one thing at a time, or one portion of the track and really work on things like finding more reference points or looking further up track or braking later etc.

For those of you that say you just go out and ride around fast, is there ever any dialogue going on in your head, like "i just messed up that corner, or crap I just ran wide, or oh #@$% that was a close one, and if so, what do you do about it? How do you remedy a mistake you might have made on the previous lap?

Misti

·
yeah sure, sir
1,153 Posts
For those of you that say you just go out and ride around fast, is there ever any dialogue going on in your head, like "i just messed up that corner, or crap I just ran wide, or oh #@$% that was a close one, and if so, what do you do about it? How do you remedy a mistake you might have made on the previous lap?

Misti

ALL THE TIME, mainly consists "wtf are you doing?" :2bitchsla"you [email protected]##Y" :flush:"who was that?" "Bill you are a D!$%":butt

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
Nice thread guys

Looking forward to Jennings in Feb.
No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,No fall down in turn 8,

thanks Randy...

You'll be fine Eric. Just take it easy, which you will. Also, you really need to walk the track Friday evening before it gets dark if at all possible. At least the back half anyway.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.