Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hitting the track really hard this year and can notice a good deal of improvement in my street riding, my favorites roads I've noticed about 10-20mph increase and still feel comfortable and relaxed. I am not as good as I would like to be, but I am learning. Anyway, I have started to get fairly comfortable hanging off the bike at the track, now when I ride on the street even below the speed limit I don't feel I am riding correctly unless I can hang off and feel my weight on the pegs. I am not a fan of dragging knee on the street, and have tried to adjust my riding accordingly to not bring attention to myself and not ride aggressively. I just feel dumb and less smooth unless I am hanging off the bike. Does anyone else have this happen to them? This is my first year doing trackdays and I have done 7...I also ride everyda, year round, rain or shine to work and for play about.....60k on my current R1.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly I just don't feel as smooth... I guess I tend to get lazy and start using my arms to turn the bike which makes me feel like my lines are crap. Every time I ride I am constantly evaluating the things I'm doing right and wrong. Seems I do more things right but only when I am at the track where the speed increases and the hanging off puts me in better control

·
Turn #8 Got Me
1,034 Posts
You ride WAY more than I do! I don't ride the R1 much on the street, mostly have my wife on the back of the busa, I'm sure I look like a TOOL in full gear hangin' off in turns when I'm by myself on the R1, but f#ck everybody and their opinions. As long as you're not out on a public road screamin' through blind turn like an idiot (unless you're at the Gap, then said conduct is COMPLETELY acceptable:) ) and you're not putting others at risk, ride your ride. A big sweeper that you can see all the way through and no one around......:flex:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey how do you like the busa compared to the R1? I ride 45 miles to work everyday rain or shine and have been thinking about getting a busa to make the ride a little more comfortable and turning the R1 into a track only bike. I alternate with the R6 but it seems to be more cramped on my legs than the One.

·
Turn #8 Got Me
1,034 Posts
Hey how do you like the busa compared to the R1? I ride 45 miles to work everyday rain or shine and have been thinking about getting a busa to make the ride a little more comfortable and turning the R1 into a track only bike. I alternate with the R6 but it seems to be more cramped on my legs than the One.
The busa is still fun! I used to try to drag it around like the R-1, but now it's mostly reserved for a relaxing ride with the wife. It's more comfortable than the R-1, but not COMFORTABLE by any stretch. Your 45 mile ride will definitely be more enjoyable on a busa than an R-1, but to be totally honest, I think I'm gonna be trading my busa in next year for a Goldwing or BMW. We like to pick up and go and the Busa was good for a while, but the trips turned into 200-300 mile rides, and it's just not made for that. Hell of a bike on a straight stretch of road, though:flex:

·
The Patient
1,643 Posts
ive adjusted to both hanging off at the track and riding in the middle of the seat on the street, i can get away with not hanging off on the street, cuz i jst dont get all that crazy and the lean angles arent so high.

at the track ive gotten used to doing it both ways, but i can get away with not hanging off at the track and getting really far over to drag toes, but you can do that with race rubber, i would never try that with street rubber, its just not me.

make no mistake, you can haul some serious ass sitting right in the middle of the seat. there have been some seriously fast proffesional racers that rode that way, hell thgey all rode like that back in the day.

·
I'm slow,but i may not be last
132 Posts
YZF-R1 ('07)
(front preload 5 lines showing) (front rebound damping 8 clicks out from full stiff) (front comp. damping 7 clicks out from full stiff ) ( rear preload Position 7 of 9 ) (rear rebound damping 7 clicks out from full stiff) (rear comp. damping High speed: 2 turns out from full stiff; Low speed: 8 turns out from full stiff)
note: Set ride height to 4mm from top of fork tube to top of triple clamp

This recommended settings based on the SportRider Mag Theory is based on which weight of a rider?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.