Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Wednesday I pulled the trigger when I found a pretty good deal at a dealership on a 14. I put 30k miles on my 06 since October of 2011 and felt like it was time to sell while I could still get a decent price for it. I planned on getting a used crossplane, never thought about getting a new bike. I just had a $500 service done on my bike and it was ready to sell. Then I saw that a dealership 30 miles away had 2 brand new 14's for $9,999. At that price I thought it would be crazy to not go check it out. They had a red one and matte grey one. Took the red one for a test ride and felt great. Decided to start the paperwork on it. I didn't get as much as I wanted for my 06, but it was enough to not try to sell it myself, it was a very clean bike with 39,500 miles on it. I got $4k in trade for it. Around here its hard to sell any bikes and a used one with almost 40k miles I figured it wasn't worth it. Did bug me they wouldn't budge at all. They gave me exact KBB trade in value. Two days later they posted it for $7k. I'm waiting to laugh when I see the price keep dropping. I'll admit a bit bitter about it, but I got a great bike for a good price, guess I was a little attached to Blue.

So I ended up with the red 14, I'm liking it a lot. Also added the 5 year warranty for $900. It is my first new vehicle ever. Things I've noticed is the seat is slightly higher. I like that it was easy to swap over to GP shift. Kind of surprising how many controls are on the bars.
I'm curious if people always run with traction control on? After 60k miles on different bikes it is my first one with traction control.
The bike seems smoother at certain RPM's then at some shakes like a mother if you get on it. Which I haven't really got on it yet since taking it easy for the break in. But slightly getting on it its like a caged beast with shaking.
Another question is with break in, I was recommended to be switching gears a lot during the first 600 miles and not go a constant rpm. Curious about what you guys recommend?
The sound is great, I am just surprised a stock exhaust sounds so good. I do plan on doing something later with it. With my last bike the previous owner gutted the stock cans and did A&R baffles, the heat discolored the tail and light something terrible so probably won't do something like that with this one.

So far the plan is levers, tank protector, get rid of the reflectors, get rid of the gas tank sticker, fender eliminator, correct the speedo, and get a good wax on it.
What are you guys thinking for levers? I've had the ride it forever levers on my last two bikes and thought they were good but opinions?
Any new speedo correctors? I have had the healer and drd.

Here are the pics.
My last pic with my trusty 06

New 14

14 with 06

14 with 06

Taking my new bike home

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turtle you are right I probably did ok, just how clean it was and the parts on it felt like I should get more, but that's a dealer thing to offer low I get it they have to make money. Your experience sounds wrong though, that's way too low. I got spoiled by my last bike, in October of 11, 3 days before I bought my R1, I sold my 04 R6 with 25k miles to a dealer for $4250 cash when the dealer suggested retail was $3950 and trade in was less than $3k. I kind of chuckled since they listed it for 7k then 6k then 5k, then the last time I saw it on their site it was $4,299. Don't get me wrong it was an insanely clean bike with about $3k of aftermarket parts but my asking price was $4,500.

I'm sure I'll love the xplane once I open her up, kind of hard to be good on it when it sounds so amazing. I normally ride with headphones in but the sound is just so great that I haven't since I bought it.

Kyoto I think it was a move for the better, a bit different riding position and the sound stock is amazing. The throttle modes are actually decent I think, I got to use B mode today when I got caught in the rain. I normally ride in the rain so it'll help. The stock tires aren't good in the rain though. Once I get some good tires on I'm sure I'll be even more happy with the bike.

· R1 LOVE....
508 Posts
you did great dont sweat it! thats a good price for a trade. plus new one was cheap too! they are never gonna get 7k for a 06 with 40K!!!! enjoy your new ride its a great bike

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Nice man! Congrats on the new bike. I don't know that I'd ever be able to trade my 05 although I do like the feel of that xplane

· Owner of the color changing R1
16,775 Posts
good looking bike. since you mentioned youll be getting an exhaust on it i just want to recommend competition werkes slipons. I had yoshis before it, hard friends with m4, graves low mount, FMF, etc etc. and i still get a hardon from the sound the competition werkes puts out

· Registered
2,185 Posts
So, which one do you like better? I can't imagine a bike being better than my 05' R1
lol ofcourse you can't imagine a bike better than the one you own.

I've owned an 04, 08 and an 09 R1 and the xplane is my fave.

You took the dealer and then some for sure op. The bike might've been clean but those miles are super high. Get some pipes on her and you'll be creaming your pants every time you ride!! The xplane rumble is seriously intoxicating

· Premium Member
12,690 Posts
lol ofcourse you can't imagine a bike better than the one you own.

I've owned an 04, 08 and an 09 R1 and the xplane is my fave.

You took the dealer and then some for sure op. The bike might've been clean but those miles are super high. Get some pipes on her and you'll be creaming your pants every time you ride!! The xplane rumble is seriously intoxicating
No they're not. There's plenty of members here with more miles on their bikes than that.

There is a member here from South Africa with over 100,000 miles on his 2009 R1 and only major repair was a water pump...

· Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
2,023 Posts
Smart man. Now is a great time to scoop up the '14 models.
Congratulations.

· Registered
2,185 Posts
No they're not. There's plenty of members here with more miles on their bikes than that.

There is a member here from South Africa with over 100,000 miles on his 2009 R1 and only major repair was a water pump...
I know there's a bunch of guys with higher mileage but you can't say 40k miles is not considered high mileage for a bike. I would bet my bike most buyers are going to be thinking twice on a bike with 40k miles. All I'm saying is op didnt get hosed on his deal and made off like a bandit with the trade in and purchase

· Rx for 2nd mid-life crisis
551 Posts
Smart move on the extended warranty. It will pay for the two new starter motors you will need...

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with the mileage, while 40k might not be super high, it is higher than most of the used sportbikes for sale. That was another thing that factored into me going with the trade, few people will want to buy a used bike with 40k miles for over $5k.

Now is the perfect time to get the 14, I couldn't believe the price hardly since even new R6's are more than what I paid, used xplanes are either more or the same price as new.

JRH from experience you know they fail?

· Premium Member
12,690 Posts
I agree with the mileage, while 40k might not be super high, it is higher than most of the used sportbikes for sale. That was another thing that factored into me going with the trade, few people will want to buy a used bike with 40k miles for over $5k.

Now is the perfect time to get the 14, I couldn't believe the price hardly since even new R6's are more than what I paid, used xplanes are either more or the same price as new.

JRH from experience you know they fail?
You don't really see bike with high mileage because most get totaled or stolen and parted out.

Bikes you see for sale with very high mileage are Harley's. If you see a sportbike with very high mileage, it's not one that's for sale because the owner has the intentions on keeping it forever like myself with my current bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.