Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WANT TO TRAILER MY 03 HONDA 600RR FROM FT. LAUDERDALE FL. TO PHILADELPHIA PA. I HAVE A 03 NISSAN SENTRA (AUTOMATIC) I WANT TO RENT AN OPEN MOTORCYCLE TRAILER FROM UHAUL. FIRST WILL MY CAR MAKE IT?? NEXT ARE THESE TYPE OF TRAILERS SAFE? THANKS

·
USMC/0369 1986-2008
5,662 Posts
It should make it no problem. Just be easy on the transmission. I you can have them hook the hitch up, that way if it (and I hope not) comes undone then you can sue them and have them pay for the damages.

My 02.

·
Una Caterva, Una Pugna
34,147 Posts
Most owners manuals tell you that if you're hauling a trailer, not to put her in overdrive, but the next lowest gear.... whether its just drive, or third. :fact

·
Registered
274 Posts
A few years ago I purchased a new Nissan Frontier pickup with a manual transmission. Worked perfect in the transport of my 2001, until the transmission detonated with 62,000 miles on the odo. Only had 35,000 mile warrenty. The cost of the repaires came to $2200 on a manual tras! I hate Nissan! Sorry I just had to vent.

·
Rememer the Fallen Riders
905 Posts
If you tow a trailer in overdrive you will put undo stress on your tranny possibly even burn it up. Drive in drive until you get up to speed then put it in overdrive. Put it back into drive when you come up to any hills or have to drive in the city or traffic. I have towed lots and lots of trailers and I drive an Expedition. That is the only way to keep a tranny from puking its guts out.

Also invest in a set of Canyon Dancers they are like 30 bucks from a dealer but the WILL hold your bike solid. We just got back from TX and on my trailer we had the bikes secured with Canyon Dancers they held solid. Also buy a good set of ratchet straps to use with you Canyon Dancers otherwise you might regret it. You can use those "pull to tighten" straps on the back just to keep it from sliding side to side. You almost don't need them thats how secure the Canyon dancers are but I wouldn't trailer with out the tail secured. Remember how much your bike is worth. The price of Canyon Dancers and good straps is cheap compared to a insurance claim or money for new plastic from your wallet.

Heres a pic of our bikes in TX notice the back R1 doesn't have them in this picture, he bought a set while we were there though.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts